Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255224 times)

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7245 on: June 29, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
Hi Mark,
Wishing you all the best from the other side of the pond.  :cheers:  :cheers:
I might be getting some more schnapps this autumn if more thinking fluid is req'd
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7246 on: June 29, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
Mark, your age is not displayed so I am guessing that, with this birthday, you are officially in geezerdom?

John

That train to Geezerdom done left the station.

Actually, a more accurate assessment would be to say that his years have finally started to correspond with his geezerdom . . .

:wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7247 on: June 29, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »
Happy Birthday MARK!!!! From one old fart to another!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #7248 on: June 30, 2018, 12:01:56 AM »
Marcus Areleus Raceasauras,

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a good one and get to wet a fly or so to perhaps catch the great lunker, too.

Regards,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7249 on: June 30, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
eBay EFI - only thing left is to get the fuel rail built -

DSCN5676 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

The one real issue was getting the larger fuel injectors located.  The plastic manifold has the correct angle for the injectors, but before I went with the European style hose clamps, the injector's waists were hitting on the clamps.  That's been cleared, I'll trim back the hose just a bit more, and as a bit of insurance, the hoses will be glued to the manifold with 3M Black Super Silicone -

DSCN5677 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:49:20 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7250 on: June 30, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »
Chris,
The injection looks great! Interesting contrast between my Kawa motor (see pic) and your BMC regarding the inlet angle. The BMC inlet is 90 degrees to the cylinder bore and my Kawasaki is at about 60 degrees. The big diff is the short side radius. What was the year that your motor first came out?

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7251 on: June 30, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »
The K-Series came out in 1988 - used in a plethora of MG and Rover hatchbacks and the MGF, none of which ever made it to the US.  The big bore version was also the first engine Lotus put into the Elise, before they switched over to Toyota - that allowed them to export to the US.

It's a pentroof, so the angle on the short side radius isn't too ugly, but clearly the Kow has the advantage.  Mark is doing a touch-up on the ports - they don't need to be enlarged, but the SSR is the area he intends to address.

We used the injector bungs on the chopped stock manifold, despite having 2 other options on the TBs.  With it mated up to the head, you can look down the bung and see the back of the valves, so while the air will need to make the corner, the fuel has a straight shot.  The options on the TBs just didn't offer that kind of direct path.

We're at ~ 38mm runner diameter to keep the flow rate up.

Looks like you could shoot a Howitzer down your TBs and likely miss the butterflies!   :-D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:22:04 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7252 on: June 30, 2018, 09:20:14 PM »
When the weatherman starts talking about temps on the "Kelvin" scale, it's time to start drinking.

Stuck to iced tea up until now - but Kate took off to hang with her friends, grabbed the cooler, and took all of the ice!

This is why God made canned beer.

Picked up the fittings for the fuel regulator today, and placed an order for a AN -10 90 for the Accusump.  Should be here Tuesday.

Speaking of which - I cleaned it up last week, and pumped it up to 82 lbs, and low and behold, it's still holding.  Thanks again, Rex!
DSCN5683 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Plumbing this in is proving to be a challenge - it's a space issue, but one thing I've wanted to do was reinforce the front portion of the inner fender wells, and by using another piece of the old Rauland rack, I was able to provide a place that I can hang the oil filter, and shroud some salt from kicking up into the engine compartment -
DSCN5680 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr
By routing the hose in front of the radiator and behind the grill, it keeps things tidy and out-of-the-way -
DSCN5681 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr
A concern brought up by Neil - and vehementaly reinforced by Mark - was that the strut mounts for the motor mounts were inadequate.  As I needed to stop at work anyway to pick up the van for a 4th of July set-up I'm doing tomorrow, I grabbed all of the components and reworked the attachment.  The shop is nominally air conditioned, we've got an adequate drill press, and if I'd have tried this at home in the garage with a hand drill, I'd likely have suffered heat stroke. 

Yes, I DO feel better about this arrangement, and thank you both for needling me on this -
DSCN5682 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7253 on: July 01, 2018, 01:49:16 AM »
I believe that was me on supporting the engine mount towers but no biggie.
Using silicone to stick the intake hoses..... the gas cloud in the runner will dissolve the stuff so use it sparingly so you don't suck the crap under an intake valve.
Contact cement works wonders for that & won't come off in chunks. Put it on the pipe but not in the hose then let it set up before assembling it & the hose will stick to it like $hit on a blanket with a hose clamp. It works great on boost hoses, I've been doing it on Acert twin turbo Cats for years.
  Sid.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7254 on: July 01, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »
Hey, Sid -

It's my understanding that the 3M stuff is the best bet for intakes in that it has a very high resistance to fuel.  In addition, the fuel enters the engine downstream of the joint between the TBs and the intake stub, and the two pieces butt together, so if we go with goo on just the pipe like you suggest, there's very little chance of us ingesting an implant . . .

:-o 

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7255 on: July 01, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »
There is at times reversion though so can't count on fuel not reaching the goo, but the technique you and Sid are contemplating should minimize any issue.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7256 on: July 01, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
ahh the reversion syndrome---I experience that in my youth with various excessive combinations of alky  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7257 on: July 01, 2018, 10:51:50 AM »
IR manifolds experience fuel standoff due to pulse rate & it's not uncommon to see a fuel cloud outside the velocity stack at a given rpm range.
  Sid.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7258 on: July 01, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
IR manifolds experience fuel standoff due to pulse rate & it's not uncommon to see a fuel cloud outside the velocity stack at a given rpm range.
  Sid.

Well, we'll just have to make sure that we keep the fuel properly directed and keep the RPMs up!  :wink:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7259 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:13 PM »
Much of the day shot due to work, but I was able to continue progressing a bit.

Plumbing continues - the Davies-Craig water pump is likely going to live right about in this area -

DSCN5684 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Fabbed up a bracket for it - the instructions insinuated that using the radiator hose was sufficient to hang the thing in most circumstances, and would "insulate it from vibration".

I don't buy it.

Christopher Plumber - out.