Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255291 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7215 on: June 14, 2018, 12:24:36 AM »
On my s/u's I cut the top half of the butterfly shaft off , thinned the butterfly and knife edged it , used button head screws and ground them off even on the thread end and thinned the top where the allen wrench goes ..  STEVE

Vizard mentions that trick in his A-Series book - takes a 130 cfm H4 up to about 160, and with the smaller diameter, the flow velocity remains favorable.

Nice thing about SUs at Bonneville is that they tend to auto-correct for air density.  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7216 on: June 14, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
Chris- the header looks nice. I see one wish for that isn't going to happen (a bit more length off the head before making the turns) and one problem that has bitten me more than once trying to get through tech. That is the in addition to collector proximity to body work (?foot well that gets really hot thereby) but more that the collector is pointed at the track. There is a specific (why???) rule about that and they are looking and may make you do something about it. Couple of times I made a slightly curved plate that bolted to the lip of the collector that deflected exhaust back/away from the track. It passed. See my above about heating the foot well. First run with such an arrangement filled the cockpit with smoke from the paint being scorched.  :|  ( separate cars on these two occasions). So I bit the bullet and a curved extension to the collector that properly directed exhaust back with none at frame rail or track and that's ok. But of course this changes somewhat the collector tuning. It may not be a big factor but we are in the #1 Fordboy territory "Mark, what counts? Reply: Every dam..ed little thing." and #2 problem mentioned previously - what is it 52 days? I know you don't need problems but you won't make it through tech the way it is if my experience means anything. I know space is minimal. Some sort of deflector is needed. Sorry. Keep on trucking.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7217 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:19 AM »
Mornin', Jack -

I made Aaron aware of the rule when we started.  It's my understanding that the exhaust direction rule was put into place to prevent dust storms at start-up at El Mirage, and it carried over to Bonneville.

There is an elbow at the bottom that directs the exhaust straight back under the car.  I'll be adding a section of exhaust pipe to direct it out the side -

image by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

This is how it's looking as of last night -

image (1) by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

I've got some leftover heat shielding from the Frankensprite that I'll use to deflect heat from the foot well, and I'll wrap the exhaust pipe as well as the header. 

It sits close to to the floorboard, and without the wrap, the heat transmits through the floor directly into the aluminum seat.

Seat warmers are nice on a cold Wisconsin morning - not on a desert salt pan.  I have no intention of making myself a heat sink.

The primary lengths are right, and there are compromises on the collector.  If we had the time to really dig in, we'd probably be able to improve this, but at 57 days out, I'm grateful to have a header that fits.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7218 on: June 14, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
Perfect. Your drawing is exactly how mine looks now. Glad I did not bring up an unanticipated problem. Onwards and upwards!  :cheers: If the creek don't rise and we both make it out there, I am bringing some local brew for Mark. Extra for you. I have already tested it and pronounce it fit for consumption.  :-D :-D :cheers:  (it actually is brewed right close to where his family is in Baltimore. )
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7219 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:14 PM »
I've been fretting about not having the Midget in the garage.  Turns out, there's enough to do that by taking the Midget OUT of the garage, I've been able to really focus on getting some essential things done that AREN'T sitting 45 miles away.

This whole throttle body thing came together rather effectively.  If it wasn't the only thing DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME, I might have pushed it off.  But now, I'm in striking distance.

ALL BUNGS ARE PLUGGED.  The frost plugs are pressed in and JB Welded into place, air tight, and actually, kind of attractive -

DSCN5673 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

One thing I have yet to determine is this.  On the last TB, there is a mounting flat for the TPS that hasn't been drilled or tapped to locate the sensor, and it has no clamp-down feature for radial adjustment.  Additionally, the sensor screw holes are not slotted for adjustment.

I have about 85 degrees of motion on the butterfly shaft, and the TPS has about 120 degrees of range.

The sensor can be calibrated through the software, but I'm wondering if there's a "best position" that I should be using on the initial TPS placement set-up.  I'm looking to drill and tap the flat on the TB in the appropriate position.

I've got that question posed to the tech folks at Holley.  They've been really good about getting back to me so far.

I asked this because my dad and I once installed one of the VERY early Pro-Jection systems on a 390 Ford, and I recall that I needed to set the sensor at a predetermined ohmage, although I can't remember if it was at WOT or idle.

My gut tells me that if I place the sensor in such a way that the TPS operates radially in it's middle range, I can program the ecu to "learn" the range, and I should be good, but I'm waiting to confirm that.

DSCN5672 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7220 on: June 15, 2018, 01:08:32 AM »
MM said:  "... predetermined ohmage,..."

Chris, was it too much beer or just too late, although 9 or 10 in the evening isn't really that late, but ---

OHMAGE??

How 'bout "resistance"?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7221 on: June 15, 2018, 05:58:53 AM »

If this were the Grenade, we'd be done.

Uhhh, as a racer, if you are done, you might as well retire . . . . . .     And yes, I know what you meant.

In the world I choose to exist in, engine development, if you contend to be "a real racer", say somebody who holds a record, NEVER CEASES.     Because if it does, you cease to be competitive.

I like this because the collector remains above the bottom of the frame rails and will give us easy access to the sensor.

Pickin' it up on Friday, pulling the engine Saturday morning, and hope to have the block back in Fordboy's capable hands possibly Saturday afternoon, provided he's not fly fishing . . .

midget,

Much to say,

No dam* time,

Give me a call this am, re: dropoff.    Weekend availability spotty . . . . . .

:dhorse:
Toodamnbusyboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7222 on: June 15, 2018, 06:53:25 AM »
Is the photo misleading?

#3 and #4 appear to be very different in length.

? ? ? ? ? ?

:dhorse:
? ? ? boy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7223 on: June 15, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »

In the world I choose to exist in, DEVELOPMENT NEVER CEASES.  Because if it does, you cease to be competitive.

That's going up on the wall in my office.
MM said:  "... predetermined ohmage,..."

Chris, was it too much beer or just too late, although 9 or 10 in the evening isn't really that late, but ---

OHMAGE??

Dear Comma Cop -

As per Webster -

"Definition of ohmage: the resistance of a conductor expressed in ohms."

Your friend,

The Dictionary Dick
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:32:08 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7224 on: June 15, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
Just paying homage to recalcitrant electrons? :? :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7225 on: June 15, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »
I think Doowy has Lysdexia . . . :wink:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7226 on: June 15, 2018, 02:48:01 PM »
Ohmage is really a word, hey?  I'll be go to hell...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #7227 on: June 15, 2018, 03:04:25 PM »
Generally used as an expression Slim, to wit. " Oh...   Ma...  Ge..."
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7228 on: June 15, 2018, 06:53:47 PM »
Chris, looks like they are going to give you another record to challenge... Next year you might be able to run in I/IGT....  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7229 on: June 15, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Chris, PM sent.

Pete