Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3254988 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7200 on: June 07, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »
And then there is always the things I should have paid more attention to at shop class or read up on to make brackets.  Really non-important things like measure twice, cut once - a pattern for the front isn't the same as on the back - what the hell is allowing for bend radius? - is there really a right and a left?  I could go on and on  :-D :-D.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7201 on: June 07, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
More proof that there are no "five minute jobs"!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7202 on: June 07, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
More proof that there are no "five minute jobs"!

Rex

It'll only be a couple of hours for Aaron to zip together the header - probably 2 for the collector . . .

BUT . . .

To get it to the point where I could drop off the car with the engine in place included -
1. A trip to Illinois to abscond with the engine
2. Installing the engine in the car
3. Taking a day off from work to pick up the trailer
4. Letting Dick at MG Limited know that I'd be stopping by to pick up said trailer
5. 30 Minutes talking with Dick and Glen about the BEAUTIFUL Healey 3000 they're just finishing a frame-up restoration on - and it is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!
6. Transport the trailer home
7. Fix the ground issue on the right turn signal
8. Load the Midget on to the trailer - by myself - in the alley - infuriating the neighbors while I block access to their garages
9. Stop for gas
10. Drive out to Watertown (45 minutes - except during rush hour - 1:15)
11. Drop the car off
12. Drag the trailer home
13. Clear space in the garage for the trailer in such a way the the MGB will still fit - Kate WILL NOT let me store it in the back yard anymore.
14. Fix the NEW ground issue on the side marker lamp
14. Wait until I hear back from Aaron, and reverse the process

64 days  :|

Yeah, I'm getting worried . . .
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:39:12 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7203 on: June 07, 2018, 09:51:37 PM »
These pieces will never be shinier than they are right now -

collectivo by Chris Conrad, on Flickr
collect by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7204 on: June 07, 2018, 10:26:31 PM »
Very nice!

And  . . . . . shiney . . . . .

:cheers:
F/b
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7205 on: June 07, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »
Chris;

Are you going to coat your headers? I'm waiting to pick up mine from a local "Cerakote" applicator. Have you or anyone on this forum had any experience with this coating?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7206 on: June 08, 2018, 12:03:34 AM »
Chris;

Are you going to coat your headers? I'm waiting to pick up mine from a local "Cerakote" applicator. Have you or anyone on this forum had any experience with this coating?

Hey,  Neil -

Actually, the header I used on the Grenade was coated.  I can't say that there was any advantage other than longevity - I wrapped it to help keep the heat down.  On the Grenade, all the ports were on the driver's side, so it would have been easy to overheat the intake.  I also wrapped the intake.

But when I pensioned off the header, the buyer commented that it was in great shape - and I had bought it second hand!

So I guess you can say that a coated header is good for three owners.

This header is stainless, we're late to the dance, so I'm just going to wrap it.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7207 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
We used an unwrapped ceramic coated header for one run....  it was touted to control heat better than wrap.... The heat damage to wiring, control cables and electronics only took 2 days to repair.   :x
If you are using it in a confined space I would use the wrap....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7208 on: June 08, 2018, 03:21:39 PM »
Chris,
Speaking of your header, what did Burns come up with for your header design? For our 1000 cc Kawa and using 12,000 for red line they told us that the length should be 16.5 inches starting with a 1.5 dia from the port then expand to 1.625 then expand to 1.75 all lengths between the steps to be 5.5 inches long.

Duke will be starting on these as soon as the lump is back from Engine Dynamics.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7209 on: June 09, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »
Chris,
Speaking of your header, what did Burns come up with for your header design? For our 1000 cc Kawa and using 12,000 for red line they told us that the length should be 16.5 inches starting with a 1.5 dia from the port then expand to 1.625 then expand to 1.75 all lengths between the steps to be 5.5 inches long.

Duke will be starting on these as soon as the lump is back from Engine Dynamics.

Rex

Hi, Rex -

Didn't use the Burns modeler - by the time we made the arrangements to get 'er done, time was tight.

We went with the Pipemax model for best torque.  We wound up with a stepped header design - 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" into a 2" collector, - lengths of 10.3" to 11.4" for each diameter, so about 21 1/2" overall length on the pipes. 

Aaron's got it mapped out so that the collector will bring it all together above the frame rail and between the steering column and the fenderwell.  I can use a curved pipe close to the floorboard and still get the car on and off of the trailer without the collector hitting the ramps.

While I'd love a 12,000 k redline, I doubt the rest of the drivetrain wants to spin that fast, so we're capping it at ~9,500.

Finished the dash hardwiring today.  Gone are the temp, oil pressure, tach and A/F gauge.  They'll be replaced by the Digital Dash, which pulls all of that information off of the ecu with 4 wires.  Somewhere in front of the three holes in this picture is where I'll be placing the touchscreen, but without the car here, I can't exactly remember what's visible with the steering wheel in place.
DSCN5666 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

From the Dynothon, you might remember this box.  We utilized it for the ignition on the dyno.  This time, it will simply bolt to the floor and be able to bring all of the electricals in and out with the help of the amphenol connectors.  Kinda nice not having to build 2 harnesses.
DSCN5667 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7210 on: June 13, 2018, 12:37:52 AM »
So I get a text from my header guy . . .

"What was the lead time on elbows?"

:-o
Burns is the only outfit I could find with the small diameter stuff we're using, and they're in California. 

I ordered 2 additional 1 3/8" U pipes and 2 additional 1 1/4" L pipes to finish the job.  Next Day Air from the Left Coast came to almost the cost of the product.

But wait - it gets better.

3:00 this afternoon, Burns calls and tells me they're out of the 1 1/4" L's.

So they're sending U's instead, and if I need any additional straight sections of the 1 1/4", I can get that at SpeedyMetals in New Berlin.  They're right up the street from Pegasus, and I need to start helmet shopping, anyway.

Did I mention that Borla had a snafu on my credit card - entered the "Shipping Address", rather than the "Billing Address", and the card was declined because of it?

I placed the order on the 6th.

It went out today, but I'm waiting for a tracking number.

I DID get the idle adjuster for the throttle bodies built today, so at least THAT's done.

But idling is something I can't be doing right now.

I'm delivering the pipes tomorrow afternoon, and plan to take some measurements so I can at least start soldering up the Amphenol connectors.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7211 on: June 13, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »
If this were the Grenade, we'd be done.

Header1 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

One more pipe to fit - all praise FedEx - along with the O2 bung.

I like this because the collector remains above the bottom of the frame rails and will give us easy access to the sensor.

Pickin' it up on Friday, pulling the engine Saturday morning, and hope to have the block back in Fordboy's capable hands possibly Saturday afternoon, provided he's not fly fishing . . .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7212 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
One of the issues that has needed to be addressed was coming up with some plugs for the throttle bodies.

There are some really sweet billet units made in Australia, but the last time I had something shipped over from Oz, the post took better than a month.  :|

The aftermarket TBs I bought were intended for a Kawasaki drag bike, and are fitted with injector bungs.  
The bungs we're using are the stock bungs integrated into the manifold.

Additionally, because the TBs on the bike were set closer together than on the K-Series (88 mm spacing), the balancing tubes were too short.

Rather than run the balancing tubes, we've elected to bypass them.  We will be able to get manifold vacuum information off of the #1 cylinder through the manifold for data acquisition.  No, not ideal, but we're 58 days out, and it's a corner we need to cut.

Melling and Dorman make freeze plugs in virtually infinite sizes.  The balance tube holes are slightly smaller than the injector bungs, and the plugs for the injector bungs will arrive tomorrow, but I was able to move forward on the balance tube holes this evening -

tbplug2 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Press fit with a dab of JB Weld, and we should have a leak free, fuel resistant seal -

tbplug1 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Epoxy - the SCIENTIST'S duct tape!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:41:12 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7213 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:10 PM »
I mentioned the idle adjuster yesterday.

It's a cut-down idle adjusting arm off of an SU, welded to the TB bracket. 

Scary, eh . . . Chris and a welder . . .

idleadjuster by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

It operates on the same TB shaft as the accelerator cam, but the opposite end of the shaft.  Provided the other three can be properly synced to this TB, we're golden.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #7214 on: June 14, 2018, 12:10:56 AM »
On my s/u's I cut the top half of the butterfly shaft off , thinned the butterfly and knife edged it , used button head screws and ground them off even on the thread end and thinned the top where the allen wrench goes ..  STEVE