Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255133 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7080 on: April 21, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »

Oh shoot! Don't offer Stainelss beer. I have seen him do unbelievable things for the right beer.

John

Well, uhhmm, I KNOW I have the "right" beer for both Stainless and Fordboy . . . . . dark, malty, and "tainted" with burbon . . .  :-)

And a comfortable chair to nap after . . . . .

Think I'll have one tonight . . . .

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Dark,maltyandburboneyboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7081 on: April 21, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »

31 years ago today, I picked up Kate in my 1st MGB and we went out on a date.

31 years ago tomorrow, the MGB was still parked in front of her apartment.

What broke on the MGB?   How much was the towing?

How did you get to your home?

I suppose it was the MG owners tried and true alternative: Walking or hitch-hiking . . . . . . .

Sexagenarian   doesn't mean what you think it does . . . . . :-(  :|

While he clearly hasn't lost his sense of humor, I suspect Fordboy may have lost his sense of priorities and wonder when he turned 60.  :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7082 on: April 21, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Mark said:  "...Sexagenarian   doesn't mean what you think it does . . . . ."

I keep finding meanings aren't what I thought they were gonna be.  The above word, for instance.  And a year ago I turned 69.  Dagnabbit, were my expectations dashed!! :dhorse:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7083 on: April 21, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »
Here's what will and won't work -

Bullseye on the starter -
DSCN1217 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Relief for the intake is in order - possibly negating air filters, but no additional length in the intake is foreseeable - not this year, anyway -

DSCN1213 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Should be able to make headers work - need to know lengths for certain, but lots of room, here -

DSCN1214 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Final location will be about 3/4" back, and the picture isn't great, but we've got good clearance on the front, and the timing wheel will fit without having to modify the crossmember -
DSCN1218 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

Not sure which port is the high pressure side, but we've got room for a fitting -
DSCN1215 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

New plumbing will be in order -
DSCN1220 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

But the dipstick can be made to work - (I've had former bosses say that about me) -

DSCN1221 by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

More to hit tomorrow.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #7084 on: April 21, 2018, 07:46:21 PM »
Might consider rubber elbows in place of the straights, canting the throttle bodies upward, adding some length and making inlet horns/air filter possible?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7085 on: April 21, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »
Might consider rubber elbows in place of the straights, canting the throttle bodies upward, adding some length and making inlet horns/air filter possible?

Relief for the intake is in order - possibly negating air filters, but no additional length in the intake is foreseeable - not this year, anyway -

It's a time issue.  I'll pound back the firewall and maybe make some small K&Ns work, but we're 111 days out, we're unsettled on exhaust lengths, and if last week at work was any indication, slipping out early from work is becoming increasingly difficult.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7086 on: April 21, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »
"And a year ago I turned 69.  Dagnabbit, were my expectations dashed!!"

Wait!  Roll it over and see what you get!  Oh, well.  Didn't work for me, either. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7087 on: April 21, 2018, 10:48:23 PM »

31 years ago today, I picked up Kate in my 1st MGB and we went out on a date.

31 years ago tomorrow, the MGB was still parked in front of her apartment.

What broke on the MGB?   How much was the towing?

How did you get to your home?

I suppose it was the MG owners tried and true alternative: Walking or hitch-hiking . . . . . . .

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:

Dang Mark... you beat me to it.... I read that and almost replied but saw your reply... you said almost the same thing I was going to post.....
My guess electrical issue.... the Prince of Darkness strikes again  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:53:49 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #7088 on: April 22, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
What about velocity stacks inside of a plenum that is fed from a high pressure/cold area? E.g. from in front of the radiator?
Or is that not as effective as I think?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7089 on: April 22, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »
Picture isn't clear - neither was my description.

The TB on the backside is resting on top of the footwell - just barely, but nothing that the proper and judicious use of a hammer won't correct.

Looking at the front of the car, to the left of the radiator, there is a 4" cutout in the grill intended for the heater vent, which could be used to route air to a plenum.

But to attempt to develop a proper plenum - and I'm certain Woody can attest to the intricacies of what a "proper plenum" would entail - is just beyond the scope this year. 

After sleeping on it overnight, I've decided that I will pound back the footwell far enough to clear filters, and while I DO REALIZE that we're leaving a couple of ponies in the paddock by not developing this aspect, it's beyond the scope of the timeline.

I'm convinced it will still be an engine that Mark and I can be proud of, and while we're attempting to apply ALL of the best practices and science reasonably possible to this thing, to do an absolutely dialed-in intake system would take weeks of development, and we simply haven't got that many left.

I know Mark hates cutting corners like this - and I do, too.

But the train is leaving the station.

Offline dannyw

• New folks
« Reply #7090 on: April 22, 2018, 03:03:21 PM »
Chris, I have been trying to catch up on your wonderful project now for a couple of weeks. I'm very impressed with the whole process, to include the realization that there are others with similar beer tastes. Kudos on your record, and I'm looking forward to following what is in your future.
I realize that time is short, but would like to offer some food for thought as time permits.
I (know nothing) but am pretty sure you are about to get into some uncharted territory with regard to the aerodynamics of the Midget at speed. With regard to the front suspension, please look into the possibility of using a modified spindle in order to lower the car without building in some (even more) undesirable geometry. With an 80" wheelbase, stability is going to be at a premium, and anything that could upset the little pale green applecart ......
The MGB uses a similar spindle arrangement, and I know that "lowered" spindles are used in MGB SCCA and vintage racing circles. Check with Dave Headley in Cortez, CO, who offers MGB spindles....he may, or may know who can do the same for the Midget. Daves website and contact info:  http://www.fast-mg.com/

All the best,
Dan Wilson
Colorado Springs
 :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7091 on: April 22, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
Welcome aboard, Dan!

I've read some of Dave's posts on the MG Experience forum.  He and Hap Waltrip are two of the "smart kids" on that site.

Looking at what I think has typically been done with the MGB, it looks like the swivel is cut off of the high end and rewelded to the bottom, dropping the front about an inch.

I'm working on the car this afternoon - I'll take a look at whether this might work on the Midget spindles.

I'm not running front brakes, so that might make such a change-up a little easier.

Yeah, 80 wheelbase - Don't know if you followed the Kiwis with their 970 Cooper Mini - A series block, BMW head, turbocharged - 160+ mph Bonneville run, but they ran in a class where they could install a front chin spoiler.  GT class doesn't give me that luxury.

Right now, it hovers at 3 1/2 - 4 inches off the ground in the front, and I'm running air bags rather than springs, but there's not a lot of suspension compliance.  I have improved the camber with the offset bushings.

Got to get back to it, but again, welcome aboard!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7092 on: April 22, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
". . . 970 Cooper Mini - A series block, BMW head, turbocharged - 160+ mph Bonneville run . . ."

Methinks it also helps that they're pullin' rather than pushin'.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7093 on: April 22, 2018, 10:15:59 PM »
". . . 970 Cooper Mini - A series block, BMW head, turbocharged - 160+ mph Bonneville run . . ."

Methinks it also helps that they're pullin' rather than pushin'.

True, but the suspension and drivetrain of that vehicle was remarkably stock.  Part of the issues they ran into were that they utilized the stock transmission case - a necessity considering the transverse layout of the A-series and tight packaging.  In the early Mini, the transmission and engine all draw oil from the same sump, and a photo of the engine torn down showed the stock oil pump driven off of the original cam. 

As I recall, they didn't have room for a dry sump, which inevitably cost them on their last run.

The setup required them to use 13" wheels, and created a scramble for suitably small racing tires that weren't too wide.  But I certainly can't argue with their success, and the sight of a Mini Cooper with a chute added to the whole smile effect.

Anyway, I now have the engine position solidified.

Before he moved to Union City, Tennesee to start a microbrewery with his brother, Seth, my good friend, Eric Sanford, whipped up the transmission mount you see on the right -

DSCN1222[1] by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

An original is on the left.  The mounting point to the chassis remains the same, and I needed to relieve the front a bit to clear the bottom of the transmission case, but some days, a torch and a hammer are your best friends.

He left it undrilled, knowing I'd need to determine the final length with the engine and transmission actually in the car.  The pads for the transmission are now 2 1/4" further back in the chassis, so some time this week, I'll need to take the driveshaft in and have it made shorter.  There's a really good shop up in Butler that has done work for me before, so I'll be stopping by this week to drop it off for a snip and balance. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7094 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:54 AM »

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/30-silicone-elbow/?osCsid=930e9ab51f751a6f110a4ca55376c17d

Hmmmm . . . might actually be easier than I anticipated.  :roll:

Mark, do we have an ideal intake length determined?  I haven't been able to get Pipemax working since I refurbished my laptop.