Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255259 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6840 on: February 24, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »

Mostly it's just trying to explain the new health insurance plans and health savings accounts, writing release forms, attending meetings, maintaining files, auditing I-9 forms, creating HIPAA compliance policies, auditing payroll and answering 401(k) questions.

It's funny - we operated for 59 years with a system of index cards and a recipe box.  Today, I've got enough files to organize a fairly substantial prison break from Stateville.

Uh-huh . . . . .

Yeah, the phrase that strikes terror into the "wallet" of every small businessman:

I'm from the "guvmint", and I'm here to help . . . . . .

Don't get me started . . . . . .

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
? W ? T ? F ? ? ? W ? T ? F ? ? ?   ! * ! @ * ! # * ! % * ! * !   $ $ $ $ $ ! ! !
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6841 on: February 25, 2018, 01:18:37 PM »
I will say this - with respect to employee retention and acquisition, our new insurance and 401(k) options make us a REALLY competitive employer.

As to payroll accounting, we've dismissed two people by FINALLY being able to put together a proper paper trail.  And while I miss her a great deal - we became good friends - one of the people skimming hours was our payroll person.

It was the toughest thing I've ever done in a work situation, and I wish her the best, but we really had no choice but to let her go.

Back to the Midget.

Finishing up the fuel tank today.  I've installed an aviation-style filler directly to the tank, and have an access door coming from Tanksinc.com.  I was always a bit nervous about running the fuel filler through the trunk, and this set-up keeps all fuel lines and the filler outside the body of the car, yet retains the stock tank.  When it's done, you'll flip open the access door, unscrew the filler, gas it up, have the boys at ERC seal it, lock town the access panel and go racing.

Much to do, but if I can find some time, I'll get some photos up.

I also picked up a tip from the HAMB boards on mocking up headers.  The suggestion was to use flexible conduit, put it all in place, fill it with "Great Stuff" insulation and coat it with fiberglass resin to hold the form.  It's worth a try - I picked up the BX style conduit today.  My concern is that the tightest you can go is about a 4 - 4 1/2" radius.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6842 on: February 25, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »
Chris,
There are several "metal doughnuts" available that can help with tight header radius requirements. Pegasus has some and also Pro Werks  http://www.pro-werks.com/partlist/979/.

You can also do a certain amount of "cheating" on a radius if it is not to much. The pic is a set of headers that I built for Steve Nelson's new 3 liter banger for his lakester. Several of the bend radii were reduced to make everything fit inside the car. Never tried the doughnuts though.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6843 on: February 25, 2018, 02:53:37 PM »
I've just used six donuts, no make that eight to make the world's ugliest set of headers. We had so many donuts I was worried the cops were going to turn up.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6845 on: February 25, 2018, 07:01:41 PM »

There are several "metal doughnuts" available that can help with tight header radius requirements. Pegasus has some and also Pro Werks  http://www.pro-werks.com/partlist/979/.

Rex, thanks for that, but this has been the rub from the git-go - we're looking at 1 1/4" tubing.

It's a good idea - I just need to see if there is a supplier of bike doughnuts - but bikes seldom need radii that tight.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #6846 on: February 25, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »

Rex, thanks for that, but this has been the rub from the git-go - we're looking at 1 1/4" tubing.

It's a good idea - I just need to see if there is a supplier of bike doughnuts - but bikes seldom need radii that tight.

Search Summit Racing, exhaust pipes, individual bends, you can select pipe size, material, etc.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6847 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »

midget,

Stepped headers, not straight 1-1/4".        1-1/4" to 1-3/8"   OR    1-1/4" to 1-3/8" to 1-1/2"

Straight 1-1/4" are going to be too small for a 4V, 980cc with peak bhp @ 8500 to 9000 rpm, even with a "throttled" inlet tract.        Cosworth spec for an 1098, admittedly running 10,000 rpm, 1-7/8" O.D.

Think about that . . . . . .     As much as you don't want to make a custom header, you don't want to make 2 custom headers . . . . . . . .

Email Roman @ Burns Stainless for a recommendation for sizes and a merge collector.    Be sure to complete the form.

I'll crunch more numbers sometime this coming week.   Waaaayy too much effort into this to screw it up now . . . .

:cheers:
Realityboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6848 on: February 25, 2018, 09:27:13 PM »
Look at the collector in Rex's photo. That's what you want. They're very efficient and available from Burns among others. They make fabrication relatively easy with the slip fit so you can set the collector where you want and then simply ( :-D :-D :-D) run the equal length pipes in between.

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6849 on: February 25, 2018, 10:37:46 PM »
I was about to place an order with Burns for the collector.

I thought we were at 1 1/4.

I guess we're in a holding pattern, which is okay - I've got to fit the engine, anyway.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #6850 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:14 AM »
   Is ceramic coating a possibility  ??

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6851 on: February 26, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
Cost considerations tell me no, but anybody out there know of someone who does this?  The Grenade used a ceramic coated header, and I'm a fan.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6852 on: February 26, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
Cost considerations tell me no, but anybody out there know of someone who does this?  The Grenade used a ceramic coated header, and I'm a fan.
This guy is a Bonneville racer, did my header, I liked it.
http://finishlinecoatings.com/
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6853 on: February 26, 2018, 04:29:33 PM »
Chris,
Our little Kawa 4 banger that we turned 11,000+ has 1-1/2 ODx .065wall (for a 1-3/8 ID)  about 15 to 16 inches long. The motor last year was 900 ccs, this year a full 1000 but still 11-12,000 rpm. Really hope to be in the 175-180 hp range on methanol. Might think about a new set of headers, need to get my partner (Duke) thinking about them. The ports are really made for the 1-1/2 OD but we could easily make a step from 1-1/2 to 1-5/8 or even 1-3/4. Now you've got me thinking and will probably have to add "new headers" to the "to do" list! If we do go with new headers they will be stainless steel as Duke is an artiest with that stuff.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline hoffman900

« Reply #6854 on: February 26, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »
Calvin Elston (www.elstonheaders.com) did a header for a friend of mine, and boy does it work.  

1 3/8" od off the head to match the port area for 10" before stepping up 2 more times. Leaving the rest a secret ;) . Each cylinder displaces ~562cc and is pushing about 60hp through each. revving to 7200rpm. Picked up 10-12% power everywhere over the Stahl based 1 5/8 > 1 3/4" header. Within 2" overall length wise and the same exact Burns collector (2.25" outlet). Also was able to go down a main and an air corrector on a DCOE Weber since the jet signal was much stronger.

Not related to power, it has a bit more crackle than the older header. This is just a warm up run, cut short. Just getting heat into the drivetrain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8rVCYFxm8I

Paying attention to bend radii is paramount on a header like that. The function of a header is science, but getting large bend radii to fit in tight spaces is the art.

Calvin has a blog, which he hasn't updated in a while unfortunately (www.exhausting101.com. He also has lots of posts on Speedtalk and Yellowbullet with the username "exhausted". He was the guy who introduced tri-ys back to Cup, and has championships in NHRA, NASCAR, WoO, Le Mans, etc. has a header builder.

One thing he said to keep in mind with the Burns specs - the diameter they give you is what it needs to be at the end of that length. If your port is smaller than that value, you're going to step to get there even though they didn't specify it. The only way you can go with his sizes though is with large bend radii and attention to flow. How he fits what he does in some of the spaces I've seen is pretty extraordinary. Not using a header plate helps a lot (so each tube has it's own flange and the header apart looks like a bunch of single cylinder primaries).

He loves chatting about this stuff. Certaintly worth a call to him to just chat after you get your specs from Burns in hand.

Likely, with your displacement decrease, the exhaust ports are probably way too big to begin with, so best not exacerbate the problem. You’ll still need to step, however.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:56:33 PM by hoffman900 »