Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255273 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6615 on: January 11, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
midget,

Just had a call from Mike.   He is going to modify the cut regime on the oil pan slightly.

The parallel slice is too uneven for welding the casting back up.   He is going to add some "tilt" back into the pan, so that the short side will be still "shorter", and cut the 3-1/4" side so that the finished, welded height will be 3-1/4".  It will help oil drainage and oil changes.   And we have to redo the oil pickup anyway so . . . .

It's why I like working with Mike, always thinking . . . . .

I gave his plan the OK.

:cheers:
Busyboy

Just got another call from Mike.

The oil pan has been modified and is ready for pickup.

I guess he has been busy too . . . . .

I've got to run an errand to Libertyville later today or tomorrow, I'll grab the pan as I drive by.

Movingrightalongboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6616 on: January 11, 2018, 07:16:05 PM »
midget,

Just had a call from Mike.   He is going to modify the cut regime on the oil pan slightly.

The parallel slice is too uneven for welding the casting back up.   He is going to add some "tilt" back into the pan, so that the short side will be still "shorter", and cut the 3-1/4" side so that the finished, welded height will be 3-1/4".  It will help oil drainage and oil changes.   And we have to redo the oil pickup anyway so . . . .

It's why I like working with Mike, always thinking . . . . .

I gave his plan the OK.

Busyboy

Just got another call from Mike.

The oil pan has been modified and is ready for pickup.

I guess he has been busy too . . . . .

I've got to run an errand to Libertyville later today or tomorrow, I'll grab the pan as I drive by.

Movingrightalongboy

midget,

Modified oil pan has been picked up from Mike and is now at "the Ranch".

Destination T & T, on Monday morning.

DEFINITELY, speedy delivery . . . .

Ineedasudsboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6617 on: January 13, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
midget,

I got tired of waiting for you to add captions to the photos I posted from the Wednesday work progress, (reply #6612, page 441), so I added some this AM.

I guess you are too busy at work and "tending cats".

:wink:
Captionboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6618 on: January 13, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »

I guess you are too busy at work and "tending cats".

Well, the cats are finally getting along - we've had them sequestered in a "house divided" arrangement for the last 5 months, but they're finally not tearing the fur out of each other.  It's a step in the right direction.

Work - the Rental aspect - remains a constant, but the new Human Resources aspect - which has been going on two years now, is increasingly taking up more and more of my time.  Technically, my hourly work week is split 50/50.  Turns out resourcing humans is more time consuming than any of us expected.

IMG_20180110_093822565_HDR by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

We're within a millimeter on the exit diameter of the throttle bodies and the intake manifold.  Mark squared it all up on Wednesday, I've got the silicone connectors in transit, and I think it's going to work better than it has any right to.  Is it perfect?  No, but neither is the paint job on the car.  An if it goes slow enough that a blind man on a fast horse starts commenting on the paint, we'll worry about it then . . .

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:16:46 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6619 on: January 13, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »
Courtesy of Polish Captioning Services . . . . . . . .

This a a photo of the stock thermoplastic inlet manifold, squared up on the T&T vertical mill.
The runners were clipped to equal length, from the bandsawn state, and a 45 degree chamfer was cut on the irregularly shaped ID.

This isn't the part to worry about.   It's the transition from the motorcycle bits to this.    Stop worrying.     It will suck . . . . .   the way it is supposed to.   :wink:

Captionboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6620 on: January 13, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »
Also:

I'm liking Flickr more and more, as I get comfortable using the service.

I'm going to copy all my P/B images to Flickr and just let the P/B account go dormant.    The idea being that all the links will stay intact, and images might be viewable, either now or in the future.

P/Bfreeboy

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6621 on: January 13, 2018, 02:14:06 PM »
An if it goes slow enough that a blind man on a fast horse starts commenting on the paint, we'll worry about it then . . .

I'm not blind but I think it's more the direction of the brush strokes ...............  :-o :-D :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6622 on: January 13, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »
An if it goes slow enough that a blind man on a fast horse starts commenting on the paint, we'll worry about it then . . .

I'm not blind but I think it's more the direction of the brush strokes ...............  :-o :-D :-o :-D

We're using Dutch Boy Premium Exterior Latex and a China brush to improve laminar flow around the cowl, if that's where you're headed, Woody.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6623 on: January 13, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »

I'm not blind but I think it's more the direction of the brush strokes ...............  :-o :-D :-o :-D

We're using Dutch Boy Premium Exterior Latex and a China brush to improve laminar flow around the cowl, if that's where you're headed, Woody.

Brush across the back to form little trip fences to reduce drag...  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6624 on: January 14, 2018, 07:27:42 AM »

Is it perfect?  No, but neither is the paint job on the car.  An if it goes slow enough that a blind man on a fast horse starts commenting on the paint, we'll worry about it then . . .

midget,

Ahhh, the paint job.   Well, yeah, it's not "custom show quality".    So what?     It is professionally done, and very nice for a "working" race car.    Race car paint jobs get banged up over their working life, that's just the way it is.    If you want show quality paint on a "doorslammer", you have to pay the premium for epoxy or catalyzed paint.     And then, the inevitable touch ups are a pain in the brush . . .

And, for the record, most, (but not all), of the show quality painted race cars I've seen are: SLOW.    The reason?    Owners polishing their paint, instead of turning wrenches . . . . . . . .

JMHO . . . .

Wrenchboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6625 on: January 14, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
Truly not worried about the paint, but time permitting, I might change up the look with a simple wrap.  3M has a wide selection of colors, including a green very close to the color of the EX 135.  As we're shooting for 135 hp and/or 135 mph, it might be an appropriate homage to the works cars of the 1950's.

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6626 on: January 14, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »
Chris,
I just saw that there is a big Sprite/Midget deal going on at Road America in Sept. Any thought of taking "The worlds fastest Midget" , the fastest with the standard "implement" engine that is! I love Road America, did lots of IMSA racing there back in the early 80s.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6627 on: January 14, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Rex, I've already spoken to the curator of the show.  If I race at Speedweek, I'll be taking it to Road America that weekend.  If I go to WOS, it won't work.  They understand my conundrum, but yes, it would be cool to show it off at the place I really learned to love road racing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:34:41 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6628 on: January 15, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »

Rex, I've already spoken to the curator of the show.  If I race at Speedweek, I'll be taking it to Road America that weekend.  If I go to WOS, it won't work.  They understand my conundrum, but yes, it would be cool to show it off at the place I really learned to love road racing.

That's the weekend of September 14-16 for the VSCDA/ELVF, correct?    I know there will be grilled bratwurst, wish they sold drinkable brew . . . . . . oh well, can always bring my own.

If you are at WOS racing the car, I'll be there, again bringing my own . . . . . .

Just want to mark up my calendar.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:35:07 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6629 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
Fordboy,
You are obviously not a PBR fan!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.