Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255068 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6510 on: December 28, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
Minor Update:

A/   Chris sent down a used timing belt to mock up the cam and water pump drive.   The original idler is a "spring loaded" tension device.    It is going to be replaced with a fixed, manually adjustable assembly.   The new bearing will be a double row angular contact bearing assembly, rated for 10,000 rpm.  The 8 mm mounting bolt is going to be replaced with a 10 mm ARP stud/nut/washer arrangement.    Rest of the design, on the fly, based on the mock-up.

2/   I began fitting the stainless steel exhaust flange fabbed in Britania . . . . . .   it didn't fit . . . . . .  the bolts wouldn't even go through the mounting holes . . . . .  (sigh)     While enlarging the holes, it was noticed that some holes are: "out of position" . . . . . .     Go figure . . . . .    Bring on the rat tail . . . . . .

d/   Steve Fox of Power Train Technology has kindly loaned me the smallest motor diameter, 10 tooth, 20 degree pressure angle pinion, high torque Hitachi starter in his inventory.    That's the next offer up.

BTW, for those of you needing starters, clutches, flywheels, bellhousings and the like, Steve's company is cutting edge.   Steve is also the original designer at QuarterMaster Industries, responsible for many of the original cutting edge QM designs.    Steve is now out on his own, providing the same cutting edge quality.    If you use his stuff or inquire about his services, let him know you heard about him from yours truly.

So, the flog for Speed Week 2018, continues . . . . . . . . . . .    :-D

Later dudes,

:cheers:
Startergeometryboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6511 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »
midget,

OK, the exhaust flange now fits both heads, after a batch of "fiddling".

I'll put the fastener sizes in the next post.

Oh, btw, ARP S/S exhaust stud kit is a whopping $136!?!   Guess it's a different route . . . . . .

On to the intake flange??

On to LUNCH . . . . .

Wendysitisboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6512 on: December 28, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »
Fordboy, what oil pump will you be using? Dry or wet? Also, I could use Steve Fox's phone number. I need a starter ring for my Cosy flywheel.

TIA,
John

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6513 on: December 28, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »
We'll be using the stock oil pump.  It's similar in design to an LS pump.  Bought a new one two years ago.

It's likely to need some mods to the oil pan, as the original install had the engine sitting about 12 degrees off of perpendicular, creating a trapezoidal shape that leaves the bottom edge sitting quite low in the chassis.

Playing Archimedes, I filled the pan with water in its stock orientation and calculated the capacity with measuring cups until it hit the brim and overflowed on the low side.  Then I set the sides perpendicular to the counter and measured the amount of water it took to fill the triangular section at the bottom.  I then measured the entire capacity and subtracted the amount that filled the lower end.  We actually pick up about a quart by setting the engine upright and removing the lower section, compared to the standard fill method, but it maintains the same oil level with respect to the distance to the main bearings. 

Should be able to pick up about 2 1/2" of ground clearance.

I'm thinking some sort of windage arrangement certainly won't hurt, even with the knife-edged crank and shorter throws.

I'd love to go dry sump, but where would it all stop?  The cost of a dry sump would set me back the cost of a week in Wendover, and Kate and Mark are done with camping.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6514 on: December 29, 2017, 03:12:21 AM »
Fordboy, what oil pump will you be using? Dry or wet? Also, I could use Steve Fox's phone number. I need a starter ring for my Cosy flywheel.

TIA,
John

Wet, as per the wallet man.   However, I do have a batch of Titan Series 1, 3 stage dry sump pumps that might be an option if the bhp goal is not achieved.

I have several new starter ring gears in my "pile o bits".    Need to know tooth count required (usually 104 or 98) and/or ring gear mounting diameter (ring gear I.D.)   Righteous deal, IF, I have what you need.

OR, you can reach Steve @ PTT: 847-458-2323 during regular business hours, Central time.

F/b
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:31:59 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6515 on: December 29, 2017, 03:25:47 AM »
midget,

OK, spent some time disassembling the starter solenoid to investigate moving the B+ post to the alternate location.    It will need the alternate copper contact (different shape) but I suspect that can be found in a Hitachi starter core, or purchased new from a starter rebuilding co.

Anyway, revised placement of the B+ post really simplifies mounting tucked in close to the block.   It looks promising on offer up, compared to the original configuration.    I think we can just revise the angular location CCW to the max height allowed by the starter cutout in the bellhousing, then rotate the starter on the pinion axis to provide maximum clearance the the K cylinder block and the engine compartment/frame (unibody) rail.

We will still need to "neuter" a couple of mounting bosses of the RH lower side of the block, but the whole operation looks easily achievable.    My die grinder and Aluminum "hogging bit" will travel to T & T next year . . . .

Chipsaflyin'boy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:29:51 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6516 on: December 29, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
Mr. Phelps,

Should you choose to accept this mission, the Secretary will deny all knowledge of our involvement . . . . . . .

OK, adjusting my schedule, (like there is one . . . .   :roll: ) for a "below the cheddar curtain" intelligence gathering on Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018.

For now:

A/    Bring the transmission, or empty trans case, so we can measure up the bellhousing starter mount area for potential starter relocation;
2/    Any of the pieces you have ordered and not shipped down;
d/    Anything else you can think of;
z/    ? ? ?
zz/   Choose to bring other "weapons" at your own discretion . . . . . . . .

You know the location of the proposed "exchange" . . . . . . .

:-o   :-o   :-o
MIboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6517 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:03 AM »
midget,

Fastener list for exhaust header flange:

All stainless steel, OR, other corrosion resistant steel:

(BTW, 316 SS is more expensive, but way more corrosion resistant than 304 SS)

1/  45 mm (could be 40 mm in a pinch) overall length studs.   10 x 1.5 pitch x 16/20 mm length on head end.    Working end: 10 x 1.25 or 10 x 1.0   OR, could be fully threaded, as in socket set screw.
     Unthreaded shank portion to be 9/10 mm maximum.     5 req.
2/  Nuts appropriately threaded for working end.    5 minimum req.      Flange nuts or non-thread deforming locking nuts OK.
3/  Washers, close tolerance I.D.,  16/17 mm O.D.   20 mm max O.D.    5 minimum req.
4/  Get the anti-seize now! !

F/b

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6518 on: December 29, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
I'll clear out the odor of burnt Bakelite, ditch the self-destructed tape recorder, and requisition supplies.

Although it would be nice to have Greg Morris' "Barney Collier" electronic skills, Barbara Bain can't make it, Martin Landau croaked this year, Peter Lupus has been busy doing volunteer police work for "Sheriff Joe" in Arizona - so this looks like solo excursion.

Be glad you're on the "safe side" . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McZ2H_Iqx4g

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6519 on: December 29, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
"However, I do have a batch of Titan Series 1, 3 stage dry sump pumps that might be an option if the bhp goal is not achieved."

Both series Titan drysump pumps are very good and way better than the old scroll driven pumps. Plenty of mounting hardware available too. The Stowe BDG 2.0L engine I am using in the lakester still retains an old scroll drysump pump and it works OK. Downside is the scroll itself. They have a tendency to break if you lean on a cold engine too hard.

Sure looks like you have the greatest expense of a dry sump already sitting on your shelf (the pump). Modifying a steel wet sump pan to dry is not overly difficult (easy for me to say. I just watched a guy do it).

John 

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6520 on: December 29, 2017, 07:03:36 PM »

Be glad you're on the "safe side" . . .

Well, thanks for the kind thought, but I remain unconvinced that there is a "safe side" to anything these days.

And I remain "unsafe" from the reach of Illinois (and Federal . . . ) Politicians into my pocket(s) . . . . . . .

Except for that "pesky" hurricane thing, retirement in the non-US Caribbean is looking better and better.    No darn snow, outstanding fishing, no Nascar, no drag racing, . . . . . and my dollars go further.

Arriba, abajo, al centro y adentro.
Pigdinspanishboy

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #6521 on: December 29, 2017, 08:00:57 PM »
Just a thought...........may you consider a remote oil filter to save space..........its a necessary item when a side-car is attached to an oil-head BMW cycle...........currently relaxing in Pocatello.........HAPPY NEW YEAR
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6522 on: December 29, 2017, 10:04:36 PM »
Just a thought...........may you consider a remote oil filter to save space..........its a necessary item when a side-car is attached to an oil-head BMW cycle...........currently relaxing in Pocatello.........HAPPY NEW YEAR

Had to look THAT one up. 

It's about 43 degrees warmer there than in "Sargentoland".

I'm on that - purchased one of the Wix remote filter adapters.  A decent die casting, but I'm a little disappointed with the slap-dash machine work.  Saw the same kind of inattention to finish on an Edlebrock manifold my dad and I installed it on my '66 F100 - geeeezzz - 23 years ago?

One of the things I learned from my dad when we were building my soap box derby car - and this was 43 years ago - is that you de-burr every drilled or machined metal piece - whether it needs it or not.

And as an aside - we did a little honey-do project for my mom on Christmas day.  A quick fix of a metal door threshold was in order.  He went through a box of sheet metal screws and an old, unindexed jar of drillbits.  I've NEVER seen anybody faster with a set of vernier calipers - it was "go-no go" and before I had 5 holes marked, he had the screws and bits ready.

Overkill?  Perhaps.  But it's the difference between "doing it" and "doing it right".

It's a good thing the inspectors at WIX weren't inspecting pieces for Rockwell Collins - if they were, the Eagle might never have landed. 

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6523 on: December 31, 2017, 07:03:30 AM »
Mr. Phelps,

Should you choose to accept this mission, the Secretary will deny all knowledge of our involvement . . . . . . .

OK, adjusting my schedule, (like there is one . . . .   :roll: ) for a "below the cheddar curtain" intelligence gathering on Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018.

For now:

A/    Bring the transmission, or empty trans case, so we can measure up the bellhousing starter mount area for potential starter relocation;
2/    Any of the pieces you have ordered and not shipped down;
d/    Anything else you can think of;
z/    ? ? ?
zz/   Choose to bring other "weapons" at your own discretion . . . . . . . .

You know the location of the proposed "exchange" . . . . . . .

:-o   :-o   :-o
MIboy

Mr. Phelps,

Recent additions to the "Hostage Exchange List of 1/3/18"

A/           One of the new solid copper head gaskets;
2/           5 off, 10 mm x 1.5 p x 20/25 mm L,  hex head Metric bolts for the exhaust mockup;   (so I can put my flow testing metric kit back in order . . . )
d/           A modest selection of other metric engine fasteners for the continuing mock-up process;
z/           ? ? ? ?
zevon/    Send Lawyers, guns and money . . . . .

RIP Warren . . . .

¡Salud!
MIboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6524 on: December 31, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
Send Lawyers, guns and money . . . . .

RIP Warren . . . .

¡Salud!
MIboy

I'll leave the ambulance chasers here.

Guns?  There's a reason I don't own one - the damned thing would be empty before I got it home . . .

Check.

"I'd like to meet his tailor".

Probably the best damned non sequitur in the canon of 70's pop music.