Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255188 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6450 on: September 26, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
That's a steal, Steele!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6451 on: September 26, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
I have a realtor buddy that would call that " Cosmetically Challenged"
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6452 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

Bauhaus, buddy . . . Form follows function.

A bigass garage, a Butler building, a small ranch, two hours out of Tulsa for the Annual Bob Wills Birthday celebration every March at Cain's Ballroom.

Boy, Howdy!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6453 on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:26 AM »

Bauhaus, buddy . . . Form follows function.

A bigass garage, a Butler building, a small ranch, two hours out of Tulsa for the Annual Bob Wills Birthday celebration every March at Cain's Ballroom.

Boy, Howdy!

It's a non-starter for me if I gotta wear cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

Can't give up my New Balance Cross Trainers . . . . . .

And I don't wear hats, well, except fur lined ones, in WINTER!!

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6454 on: September 27, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »
Mark, never owned or worn a cowboy hat in my life.... not a hat person either... that was an issue during my 9 years in the USAF.... they are a hat wearing organization  :|

Have owned boots other than those issued by the previously mentioned organization... but no cockroach killers...

If you don't require big city living, affordable places are available in the less populated states.  Kansas does not tax your social security income.... unlike the feds
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6455 on: September 27, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
Tulsa? Weaing a cowboy hat & boots? Hey, Tulsa is back East!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6456 on: September 27, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
Tulsa? Weaing a cowboy hat & boots? Hey, Tulsa is back East!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YtImqPW8c

Offline hoffman900

« Reply #6457 on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

Note to BMC fans . . . . . . British and otherwise . . . . . . . .

One of the pre "Runoffs" projects is a limited prep BMC 1275.    The flow testing is done, the dyno testing will take place this week.

As soon as the project is completed, I'm going to post some real world numbers for Limited Prep heads Vs full race Vs Stock air flow.

I'm also going to post some comparison graphs of of the dyno output Vs the Grenade Vs F/prod 1275's Vs unrestricted 1275 GT/L engines.

Should be . . . . . . interesting.    And it will get us through the 'K' development lull . . . . . . . .

I have a few ideas for the LP stuff, but it would take some $$ to pull off. Camshaft development seems to be the most lacking.

Re:    BMC 1275 Limited Prep

20+ pulls later, this is what I know for certain . . . . . . . .

A/   Compression Ratio limitation (11 to 1) dramatically affects spark plug choice which affects the total ignition timing required . . . . . .  NO big surprises here though.

2/   The valve lift limitation (.450" measured at the valve) also dramatically reduces power output.   The test engine was relatively "insensitive" to valve lash changes, indicating that there was not enough "cam" for "good output".    Cam was a billet Bachmann item.    I was told several competitors use it.    It's really hard to conclude anything yet, no thorough cam profile data so far.   The cam data presented was basic and minimal.

Bob, there is NO question in my mind that you are correct in thinking that the cam development could lead to further gains.    If I get an opportunity to "spin the cam grind for data", be assured I will.

d/   The requirement to utilize the "stock" 1.25" SU's, "un-modified" is a "gigantic" air restriction.   Significant gains could be made with trick "Blue-printed" carbs.    There is currently a "snipe hunt" underway for factory specifications.    As it stands, there is a nice bhp output curve up to a certain rpm, the the bhp goes essentially "flat".    That usually indicates restricted airflow into the engine.    ANY "trick modification" would need to fall within measurable factory dimensions.    The carbs used were "blue-printed" Bachmann items, which worked well.     I'm just left wondering how much the rules can be "pushed" for this area.    Even more reason to do some flow testing of 1.25" SU's . . . . . . . . .

z/    Cylinder heads that flow "too much" are a waste of time and energy here.    Think about it, the main restrictions are the carbs and manifold.    Too big ports kill velocity and flow and  . . . . .  wait for it . . . . . . transitional bhp.     

I have not downloaded the "data dump" yet from the T&T dyno computer, so I have not done any serious number crunching.    But, from memory, peak TQ was 87#/ft to 90#/ft.

That translates to:   87#/ft = 164.2 psi bmep
                              90#/ft = 169.9 psi bmep      Both sets of the bmep numbers are on the low side, indicating that careful development would raise output.

That's all for now.   More in a few days . . . . . . . .

:dhorse: boy

SCCA news.... LP1275 qualified in 2nd and 3rd in HP. There is an all black 1275cc MG sitting on pole in FP.  8-)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6458 on: September 27, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
SCCA news.... LP1275 qualified in 2nd and 3rd in HP. There is an all black 1275cc MG sitting on pole in FP.  8-)
Think about that a minute -

A 60 year old chassis design with a 65 year old engine design, giving Honda Fits fits.

Hail, Britannia . . .

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6459 on: September 28, 2017, 12:41:55 AM »
Seems to me a Bob Wills fan would want to relocate to Texas. Especially those who are 5' 16" or so tall...
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline hoffman900

« Reply #6460 on: September 28, 2017, 04:13:46 AM »
SCCA news.... LP1275 qualified in 2nd and 3rd in HP. There is an all black 1275cc MG sitting on pole in FP.  8-)
Think about that a minute -

A 60 year old chassis design with a 65 year old engine design, giving Honda Fits fits.

Hail, Britannia . . .

Well, to be fair, the chassis for all these MGs is 'full prep'. So other than the stock upright and stock live rear axle, anything goes as long as it's not a pushrod type suspension. These are modern clean sheet racing suspensions. The Hondas and the other "late models" (that are as old as me) have to use the stock chassis with just a change of shocks, springs, and sway bars.

Also, these MGs weigh hundreds (in some cases 500-700lbs) lighter, per rules, than the cars they are competing against. Weight helps make up for A LOT ;)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6461 on: September 28, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »
Seems to me a Bob Wills fan would want to relocate to Texas. Especially those who are 5' 16" or so tall...

Wills really made his name and career in Tulsa and Los Angeles.

I think everybody should go to Texas once in their life, and judge for themselves.

I made it back . . .

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6462 on: September 28, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »
To find Texas from where I live you go east till you smell it and then south till you step in it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6463 on: September 29, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »

Wills really made his name and career in Tulsa and Los Angeles.

I think everybody should go to Texas once in their life, and judge for themselves.

I made it back . . .

I've been to Texas a few times.   The steaks are always good.   The building code non-existent.   The snakes/scorpions/spiders are plentiful.   Much is oversize, (think Texas Stadium . . .) including the egos . . . . . 

JMO, but I think drive through bars are a poor idea . . . . . .  OR, the personal right, to be naturally selected, out of the gene pool . . . . . . .

I survived all my Texas experiences, some pleasant, some not.

I also am unsure about where we are going to "land" in "retirement".   Probably going to stay close to where the majority of our kids live.   So NE IL for now, just south of the "cheddar curtain" . . . . . .

Ambivalentboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6464 on: October 01, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
Block's done