Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255232 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6375 on: August 23, 2017, 07:28:23 AM »
Mark, my guess is that Chris is sure you are the "Anne Sullivan" of motors...  :cheers:

Yeah, that's basically what I do: Teach those blinded by science . . . . . . . . .   :|

Ya know, thinking back on it now, even though I've had some notable successes, I can't say I've really educated more than a handful of racers over 40+ years . . . . . . . . .   :-( 
Racers just do not want to listen . . . . .  they want to argue.   I tell them to go argue with my laptop . . . . . . .  :-D

Well Bob, thanks for the compliment.    Unless . . . . .  It just makes me: "One of the girls".   :-D

:cheers:
Notblindedbythelightboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6376 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
Mark, my guess is that Chris is sure you are the "Anne Sullivan" of motors...  :cheers:

In many ways, you are correct - except the first word I uttered was "BEER!"

Not the first word for me,  :?    probably the second   :cheers:

Thanks for the thought Dan Warner.   "No good story starts with a salad."   How true.  Wish I would have thought of it.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Notworthyboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6377 on: August 23, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
WOW page 426, such a good number :cheers: could you put a hemi in it :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6378 on: August 23, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »
WOW page 426, such a good number :cheers: could you put a hemi in it :roll:

Chrysler, presumably . . . . . .  but probably better to use one of the Chrysler "derivatives"   Way more reliable than an original Hemi block, cheaper too.

As opposed to "rat" based or Ford type hemis . . . . .

Howtofititinboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6379 on: August 23, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
Howtofititinboy
Apropos, after last night.

My initial mock up indicates I'll likely need to move the K and transmission further back in the chassis about 4".

The plumbing and electrical on the K is going to be significantly different than the A-series.

Udo Horn said it best - "Every bolt's got to be turned by somebody".

So last night, I popped open the engine compartment and started some dismantling,

Having done this once before on the Midget, and more recently, wiring and plumbing the Frankensprite, I have a better idea as to how to plan ahead on this aspect of the project.

It's often tedious, and while my results have always been essentially functional, I really want to tidy it up this time - proper labels - consistent color coding throughout.

The goal is this - In the event that something goes wrong on the salt, I want to be able to pop the hood and trace a wire with no ambiguity from termination to termination.  I want to be able to hold a multimeter by the fan relay under the dash and say to someone helping me - "okay, connect the fan", and be able to get predictable and repeatable results.

Wherever practicable, every terminal will be soldered and shrinkwrapped. 

Not sure yet as to what to do for a radiator.

It was really good just digging in again.  I've missed the fun-work aspect. :cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6380 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »

Chris, that is the easiest part.... 5.E.3 paragraph 3.... but you don't have to use it, you might consider a 5 gal. water tank... or using the original fuel tank as a water tank.... you are already outside the box, don't claw your way back in  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6381 on: August 23, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »

Chris, that is the easiest part.... 5.E.3 paragraph 3.... but you don't have to use it, you might consider a 5 gal. water tank... or using the original fuel tank as a water tank.... you are already outside the box, don't claw your way back in  :-o

THAT idea has a lot of merit.  The fuel tank holds 8 gallons, and seeing as I'm going EFI this time around, I should probably be looking at a fuel cell with an integral fuel pump.  Rules don't permit me to remove the fuel tank, but there's no reason I can't fill it with water.

Not that I'm busting 'em loose, but an extra 65 pounds over the rear wheels likely wouldn't hurt, either.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6382 on: August 23, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »

Having done this once before on the Midget, and more recently, wiring and plumbing the Frankensprite, I have a better idea as to how to plan ahead on this aspect of the project.

It's often tedious, and while my results have always been essentially functional, I really want to tidy it up this time - proper labels - consistent color coding throughout.

Why deviate from the PROVEN Aussie standards??

Yellow

Yellow

Yellow

Just sayin'

:cheers:  :dhorse:   :cheers:
Stirthepotboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6383 on: August 23, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

THAT idea has a lot of merit.  The fuel tank holds 8 gallons, and seeing as I'm going EFI this time around, I should probably be looking at a fuel cell with an integral fuel pump.  Rules don't permit me to remove the fuel tank, but there's no reason I can't fill it with water.

Not that I'm busting 'em loose, but an extra 65 pounds over the rear wheels likely wouldn't hurt, either.

midget,

You might consider sealing the inside of the gas tank prior to adding water.

It is ancient & oxidizing British iron after all . . . . . .   :roll:

All the rest of the reasons are sound though.

Rustyboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6384 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
Actually, the tank was purchased new in 2010, and has been empty most of the time.  It's very clean and rust-free.

Nevertheless, there is a coating product I'm familiar with that is commonly used on motorcycle tanks.  The question is, will it hold up to 212 degree water?  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6385 on: August 24, 2017, 12:35:48 AM »
Just went through this thread -

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8ad29bd94fe62ce38aee0e89fa1f1059&topic=5314.0

It's late and I'm tired, so when I'm fresh, I'll actually do Harold and IO's math assignments, but given the anecdotal comments as to what is being utilized, I'm thinking an 8 gallon tank for a 130 hp engine going three miles should be an adequate size for cooling.

The question then becomes, do I run it pressurized? 

Online Stan Back

« Reply #6386 on: August 24, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
We don't -- we run 16 gallons for 5 miles with about 600 H.P. and have never seen 200ยบ.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6387 on: August 24, 2017, 11:10:33 PM »
Well - that was fun. 

Using Harold's formula, a 4.95 gallon tank will suffice.  By the time you add the coolant in the lines and block, I'm likely at about 10 gallons of water.

Of course, I could have just listened to the guy who has run a 1 liter lakester . . .

. . . you might consider a 5 gal. water tank...

It's really gratifying when mathematical results and experience confirm each other.  It tends to stop one from barking up the wrong tree.   

Stainless - how's John doing?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6388 on: August 24, 2017, 11:45:09 PM »
Fordboy -

I've got the "Availability/Price/Shipping" question e-mailed to REC for the valves.  I also asked about collets and compatibility with the Piper spring caps.  Hoping they respond faster than some other suppliers . . .  :|

I may just have them drop-shipped to T&T, if it's okay with Tom and Lenny.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6389 on: August 25, 2017, 12:08:49 AM »
Quote from: Milwaukee Midget link=topic=4087.msg306890#msg306890 date=150363

Stainless - how's John doing?

[/quote

I am doing good. Nothing broken except the car. Just resting for a few days.

Johnboy
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20