Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255222 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6345 on: August 13, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »
Met Gary and Katlyn - hope I spelled that right.  Been doing some smart development, and found a cam grinder in New Zealand with some expertise with the three cylinder.  I think they got 4 passes in, but the motor went soft on Katlyn, and they decided to take it home intact. 

Here's what I'd like to see - Tom Donny getting his 1 liter on track, Gary getting the Honda sorted, a having the Midget ready for next year.  3 cars in a category that sat fallow for 22 years could make for a great story.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6346 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
I've got the deal worked out on the head components.  Mark and I will make a cam choice when I get back to Beerhaven, and we should have everything save the valves by next week.

Two days on the salt has turned up the fire in the belly. :evil:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6347 on: August 15, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
Chris,

I noticed that Gary is there with his Shazam Racing Honda Insight in I/GT, from the photos on BangShift.com.

He was in line on Saturday.   Did he get a run in?    Any idea how it is running?

Hoping he has got it sorted and is competitive.

:cheers:

I spoke with a bit. Engine changes have about 86 at wheels
I think heard 122 in quarter. 117 in mile
I know has been in line couple more times but I have no times.

Met Gary and Katlyn - hope I spelled that right.  Been doing some smart development, and found a cam grinder in New Zealand with some expertise with the three cylinder.  I think they got 4 passes in, but the motor went soft on Katlyn, and they decided to take it home intact. 

Here's what I'd like to see - Tom Donny getting his 1 liter on track, Gary getting the Honda sorted, a having the Midget ready for next year.  3 cars in a category that sat fallow for 22 years could make for a great story.

Well, from checking the daily run sheets posted by the SCTA, it looks like the best run of car #4555 (Shazam Honda) was 107+.    It appeared that all the subsequent runs on 8/12 were slightly slower.

I'm not sure what happened on 8/13, but if "the motor went soft" like they said, and no spare engine (seems likely? ?), best choice was to either attempt a post mortem on the salt, or pack it up to do the inspection at home.

Sorry that their effort had a premature ending.   It's tough to go forward when you can't develop the data you need for good decision making.

Gary/Katlyn (hope I spelled it right), if you read this, please let us know what happened.   I think that the whole LSR community would like to see you succeed, not just Chris & his beer swilling cohorts . . . . . .

Hey!!   Start a Build Diary!   You will find, literally, thousands cheering you on.   And who knows how many "Honda enthusiasts" are out there for moral support.   Ahhh, don't forget . . . .  I drive an Insight . . . . . . .

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Hondadrivin'boy   
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6348 on: August 15, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »
Sir Tippsalot of Beerhaven,

The best plan would be to order up the new "bowstrings" and "arrows" required for the "All Comers Meet of 2018" as early as possible.

Rumor has it the prize for 2018 will be a "Golden Arrow" . . . . . . . . .

One might need to get a "little pissy" with "arrow maker" for timely delivery . . . . . . . . .

:cheers: :dhorse: :cheers:

Squireboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6349 on: August 15, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »
Sir Tippsalot of Beerhaven,

The best plan would be to order up the new "bowstrings" and "arrows" required for the "All Comers Meet of 2018" as early as possible.

Rumor has it the prize for 2018 will be a "Golden Arrow" . . . . . . . . .

One might need to get a "little pissy" with "arrow maker" for timely delivery . . . . . . . . .

Squireboy

Concord, are you suggesting that re-sleeved K-Series engine blocks migrate?

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6350 on: August 16, 2017, 07:12:19 AM »

Concord, are you suggesting that re-sleeved K-Series engine blocks migrate?

No, not at this time.  I'm merely stating what is obvious to me: We will need to have the block by October at the latest to be at Speed Week in 2018.

Some sort of commitment to timely delivery would be appropriate.   If timely delivery can not be assured, you have a difficult decision to make.

I understand the situation, but, no matter how good you are, waiting for open ended delivery, while other work displaces your position in the work flow line, is not correct.

As always: Your wallet = your choice.    But, time is a factor here.

M

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6351 on: August 16, 2017, 10:50:28 AM »
I'm merely stating what is obvious to me: We will need to have the block by October at the latest to be at Speed Week in 2018.

Some sort of commitment to timely delivery would be appropriate.   If timely delivery can not be assured, you have a difficult decision to make.

I understand the situation, but, no matter how good you are, waiting for open ended delivery, while other work displaces your position in the work flow line, is not correct.

As always: Your wallet = your choice.    But, time is a factor here.

M

As always, true on all accounts.  The trip to Bonneville has relit the fire - I jotted off a note to Steve this morning.

My order is placed with elise-spares.com for the bulk of the valvetrain.  A few pieces are on backorder from Piper with a note of 2-3 day delivery, so what  I'd like to do is make the decision on the cam grind, add the camshafts onto the order, and have it all shipped at once.  I've already got the Piper adjustable timing gears.

Mark, can we get together on Thursday?  I'll bring my computer and the models I've been working on, we'll compare notes, and pull the trigger.

Noonan, if you're reading this, as soon as the block gets back and we have absolute deck height measurements, I'll ship out the mold of the combustion chamber and associated drawings for the Wossner order.

Yeah, I know - "jeez, weren't we talking about this at PRI in 2014?" . . .  :roll:   :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #6352 on: August 17, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »
I need to catch up on some of your development!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6353 on: August 17, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
   So do I, Trent . . . So do I.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6354 on: August 18, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
midget,

OK, after our talk yesterday, I'm downloading all my photo records of your build from PhotoBucket onto a media which I'll forward to you for your use.   I'll also be closing my account @ PB.

I'm probably going to upload all the photos to the Google photo cloud to regain accessibility for readers of your BD.   THAT appears to be an impressive undertaking, to re-reference all photo locations to facilitate 3rd party hosting.  Probably have to work on it bit by bit over an extended period of time.    NO PROMISES on delivery.

BTW, enjoyed catching up, AND, thanks for the "refreshments".    I'll post my opinion upon "consumption".   I already started the book.    I'm too familiar with "the glazed look" Alda describes.   New research on the human brain is finding that a large portion of the population has difficulty with, OR, is "unable" to: understand collegiate level science.

If that theory is correct:  We are screwed as a species . . . . . . . .

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thirstyboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6355 on: August 18, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
midget,

I already started the book.    I'm too familiar with "the glazed look" Alda describes.   New research on the human brain is finding that a large portion of the population has difficulty with, OR, is "unable" to: understand collegiate level science.

Have you ever heard Brian Greene, the String Theory scientist, speak to a general audience?

It's fascinating - he's engaging, he puts it across, and you "get it".  You're listening, and your head is nodding in agreement - you're comprehending.

But then he stops talking, the applause dies down, and if you can accurately voice 1/4 of what he spent 20 minutes explaining, you're doing pretty good.

It's that 25% that one needs to build on.  That's the foundation.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6356 on: August 18, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »

So do I, Trent . . . So do I.

OK, to catch up on Thursday's decisions & developments:

Dimensions now fixed:
A/  Bore Ø             75.5 mm
2/  Stroke              55.5 mm
d/  Hd gasket bore  76.8 mm

Dimensions, etc nearly finalized:
B/  Deck height      ~201.5 mm
3/  Rod length        ~143.75 mm
e/  Piston C/height  ~30 mm
z/  Static C/R            13.5 to 14.0

I'll let you decide whether to share camshaft and valve train info.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6357 on: August 18, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
midget,

I already started the book.    I'm too familiar with "the glazed look" Alda describes.   New research on the human brain is finding that a large portion of the population has difficulty with, OR, is "unable" to: understand collegiate level science.

Have you ever heard Brian Greene, the String Theory scientist, speak to a general audience?

It's fascinating - he's engaging, he puts it across, and you "get it".  You're listening, and your head is nodding in agreement - you're comprehending.

But then he stops talking, the applause dies down, and if you can accurately voice 1/4 of what he spent 20 minutes explaining, you're doing pretty good.

It's that 25% that one needs to build on.  That's the foundation.

And you think that is going to work with "Jack Yates Jr"? ! ? ! ?    :roll:

:dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:

Beat the dead horse as much as you want.   Don't bother to tell me when your arms are tired, I'm not taking over for you . . . . . . . . . . .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6358 on: August 18, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »

I'll let you decide whether to share camshaft and valve train info.

No issue sharing.  
Intake 276 - .440
Exhaust 276 - .438
Piper Grind # ARKPB285M
All associated components from Piper.
I'm finishing the wire transfer as I type.
Hailey at Guaranty Bank is the best!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:43:24 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6359 on: August 18, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »

And you think that is going to work with "Jack Yates Jr"? ! ? ! ?    :roll:

Ahh, yes.

Folks, this is in reference to a gentleman who didn't quite understand the implications of an oiling gallery, . . . hmm . . ., let's call it a self inflicted aneurysm. 

The telltale symptom of such an automotive subarachnoid hemorrhage is an accute headache.

It's a rare disease, in that the disease itself is not contagious per se, but anyone working on the patient, or even worse, dealing with the person with medical power of attorney over said patient, may develop the primary symptom.

But hey, at least the stroker crank fits!   :wink: