Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255089 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6330 on: August 01, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
Stainless  --

The car is almost done at the two, gains about 6 MPH to the exit. That's a scenic drive between them.  Can't even watch the tach move.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6331 on: August 01, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »

Can't even watch the tach move.

Car's not spinning fast enough?  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6332 on: August 01, 2017, 07:05:29 PM »
Only that once!!!

{(. . . At Bonneville)}
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6333 on: August 01, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »
Chris, is the marriage still on track to stay together?  You're driving out in the little car and Kate's flying?  Do you wanna borrow a car to go fetch her at the airport so she doesn't have the time in the 'Sprite to text an attorney?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6334 on: August 01, 2017, 11:07:37 PM »
More devious than that.  :evil:

PM sent.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6335 on: August 07, 2017, 11:57:42 PM »
So . . . is it cheating if NOBODY'S PAYING ATTENTION?

The Milwaukee and Great Lakes MG Motor Group, aka, the MG3 club, of which I am a proud member, put together a display at the "Show and Glow by the Lake", the first day of the Annual 2-day Milwaukee Concourse d'Elegance program.  18 Post-war MG Sports cars were on display in chronological order, and the Midget was selected as the centerpiece of the display. 

Most people weren't aware that there were that many rust-free MGs in the entire state.

A large enough group or club can request a separate category for awards.  We had enough MGs that the President of the club solicited and received a category for MGs, and due to the fact that I went through the hassle of trailering a vehicle and setting up a display recognizing MG's history on the salt, he graciously insisted that the nod go to the Midget.  Yeah, it has a degree of cache due to its record, but I can certainly say there were better examples of MGs in the circle. 

Next year, I'm personally going to lobby to see that Dan Donahue's Midget takes the trophy - he bought it while stationed in London in 1965, shipped it stateside, and has been driving it ever since.

So we're all sitting back in our lawn chairs, sipping beer, chatting with visitors, answering questions, and I heard over the intercom about the "People's Choice Award".

Good lord, I thought, I'd been there for three hours, and I didn't even know there was a ballot available.

I looked through my presenter's package - nothing there.

So I went up to registration, and asked about the ballots.  "Yeah, the volunteers forgot to include them with the presenters envelopes", I was told.

So I said, "Geez, I've got about 25 club members and their significant others over here with the MG club.  Can I take some ballots over for them?"

I was handed an appropriate number of ballots, I thanked the lady, and I went back to the group.

They needed to fill out their name, a valid e-mail address, and a car number.

I went around the group, asked each member if they wanted a ballot, and handed one to everyone who said they did.

"And if it's no skin off of your nose", I said, "I'd appreciate a vote for number 513."

The balloting ended at 2:00, and at 3:00, the announcement was made to the category trophy winners to drive their cars up for the presentations.

I didn't know they did this.

It's kind of hard to do with the Midget, at least at this point in time.  First off, the master cylinder is disconnected, and secondly, the engine is currently in a crate at a DHL international shipping facility, waiting to be carted of to its new owner in Derbyshire, England.

As I approached the podium, I explained the situation, and they handed me this really swell plaque - "First in Class" - took my picture with a celebrity weatherman from Green Bay, and I climbed down from the stage.

I was then told by one of the officials not to "run off too far".

The final trophy of the day was the "People's Choice Award".

I'm looking out at a sea of iconic cars - a fist full of Packards, a Stutz Bearcat, a 1969 Daytona Charger wing car, a sea of Jaguars and Porsches, a dozen Ferraris - better than 300 entries - and they want me to make an acceptance speech . . .

I acknowledged the MG3 club and members for their support, but I also was able to shine a light on MG's history in setting land speed records, and the company's history at Bonneville.

And truth be told, it's a history I'm proud to be trading on.

But like any owner of a British car is quick to point out, they can be damned embarrassing when they neither run, nor stop.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6336 on: August 08, 2017, 12:58:52 AM »
Congratulations Shorty!!!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #6337 on: August 08, 2017, 06:37:47 AM »
Congratulations Shorty!!!

What he said
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6338 on: August 08, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »

The Milwaukee and Great Lakes MG Motor Group, aka, the MG3 club, of which I am a proud member, put together a display at the "Show and Glow by the Lake", the first day of the Annual 2-day Milwaukee Concourse d'Elegance program.  18 Post-war MG Sports cars were on display in chronological order, and the Midget was selected as the centerpiece of the display. 

Most people weren't aware that there were that many rust-free MGs in the entire state.

A large enough group or club can request a separate category for awards.  We had enough MGs that the President of the club solicited and received a category for MGs, and due to the fact that I went through the hassle of trailering a vehicle and setting up a display recognizing MG's history on the salt, he graciously insisted that the nod go to the Midget.  Yeah, it has a degree of cache due to its record, but I can certainly say there were better examples of MGs in the circle. 

Next year, I'm personally going to lobby to see that Dan Donahue's Midget takes the trophy - he bought it while stationed in London in 1965, shipped it stateside, and has been driving it ever since.

So we're all sitting back in our lawn chairs, sipping beer, chatting with visitors, answering questions, and I heard over the intercom about the "People's Choice Award".

Good lord, I thought, I'd been there for three hours, and I didn't even know there was a ballot available.

I looked through my presenter's package - nothing there.

So I went up to registration, and asked about the ballots.  "Yeah, the volunteers forgot to include them with the presenters envelopes", I was told.

So I said, "Geez, I've got about 25 club members and their significant others over here with the MG club.  Can I take some ballots over for them?"

I was handed an appropriate number of ballots, I thanked the lady, and I went back to the group.

They needed to fill out their name, a valid e-mail address, and a car number.

I went around the group, asked each member if they wanted a ballot, and handed one to everyone who said they did.

"And if it's no skin off of your nose", I said, "I'd appreciate a vote for number 513."

The balloting ended at 2:00, and at 3:00, the announcement was made to the category trophy winners to drive their cars up for the presentations.

I didn't know they did this.

It's kind of hard to do with the Midget, at least at this point in time.  First off, the master cylinder is disconnected, and secondly, the engine is currently in a crate at a DHL international shipping facility, waiting to be carted of to its new owner in Derbyshire, England.

As I approached the podium, I explained the situation, and they handed me this really swell plaque - "First in Class" - took my picture with a celebrity weatherman from Green Bay, and I climbed down from the stage.

I was then told by one of the officials not to "run off too far".

The final trophy of the day was the "People's Choice Award".

I'm looking out at a sea of iconic cars - a fist full of Packards, a Stutz Bearcat, a 1969 Daytona Charger wing car, a sea of Jaguars and Porsches, a dozen Ferraris - better than 300 entries - and they want me to make an acceptance speech . . .

I acknowledged the MG3 club and members for their support, but I also was able to shine a light on MG's history in setting land speed records, and the company's history at Bonneville.

And truth be told, it's a history I'm proud to be trading on.

But like any owner of a British car is quick to point out, they can be damned embarrassing when they neither run, nor stop.

ELECTIONEERING WITHIN 100 FEET OF THE POLLING PLACE? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

Keeping up the "proud midwest tradition" . . . . . . . . . .  with dastardly results!!

I'll bet you reprogrammed your "Kobayashi Maru" test too . . . . . . . . .

It's obvious no racers need apply to take an "ethics test" . . . . . . . .

Sooo, when are you going to file your application to run for Mayor of Chicago? ? ? ? ?

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6339 on: August 08, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »

ELECTIONEERING WITHIN 100 FEET OF THE POLLING PLACE? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

I'm reminded of a quote by a very good friend of mine -

"Do all of the little details matter?  I don't know, ask the guy who finished second."

I prefer to think of my action as "follow through".

Would Roger have let this oversight go unexploited?

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6340 on: August 08, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
Nice going Chris! See you on the salt. Leaving as soon as my crew gets here.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6341 on: August 08, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »

Nope, just a careful interpretation of the rules. Great job, Chris!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6342 on: August 13, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »
midget,

I'm not sure if you have the time right now, but as you go forward with the planning of your EFI system for the K engine, you might want to peruse the Kinsler Fuel Injection Handbook/Catalog.   It is filled with valuable advice about all FI systems.   I can't believe Jim still puts this on the web, for FREE!!!

http://kinsler.com/Kinsler-Handbook/HTML/

Not suggesting you use Kinsler products, just scroll through the Handbook.

BTW, you also want to read Jim's white paper Tech Article about his Nascar Fuel Injection proposal.    It is pertinent to your build.

http://kinsler.com/Shop/nascar-tech-article/

:cheers:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6343 on: August 13, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
Chris,

I noticed that Gary is there with his Shazam Racing Honda Insight in I/GT, from the photos on BangShift.com.

He was in line on Saturday.   Did he get a run in?    Any idea how it is running?

Hoping he has got it sorted and is competitive.

:cheers:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6344 on: August 13, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
I spoke with a bit. Engine changes have about 86 at wheels
I think heard 122 in quarter. 117 in mile
I know has been in line couple more times but I have no times.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019