Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255242 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6315 on: July 30, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »
Well, the "K"'s still in the queue.  Steve has been sick twice since the first of the year, but there's a bit of "misery loves company" comfort in knowing he also has a customer with a Mercruiser engine in his shop that has been there longer than mine.  Just like the crank, I'm confident I'll see it eventually, and given his reputation, I expect nothing short of a stellar job.

If nothing else, this sport has caused me to develop patience.  And honestly, it's been well rewarded, I think. 

I'm having some fun with the EnginePro software, and a new product I received from SpeedTalk - Controlled Induction. 

The CI program is an interesting camshaft prediction tool.  You enter the parameters, and it gives you an optimized cam profile.

I started questioning whether or not it was effective when it predicted 158 hp with 278 degrees and .262 effective intake lift.

Yeah, the head breathes pretty well, and there are 4 valves per cylinder, but I suspect I'll need a bit more than 1/4" lift.

And until I can verify that number, I'm disinclined to sink money into a custom pair of camshafts.

I also did a couple of engine iterations with data I remembered off of the top of my head.  Most of the information had been "archived" on Photobucket - a service I have since dumped.  Yes, I downloaded all of the photos before I ditched the account.

One of the reasons I posted so much of the information on this diary was to have easy access to the information both Fordboy and I have put out to everyone.  But now that the information has been ransomed - a demand from Photobucket for $399.00/year to receive 3rd party hosting privileges - I've been forced to search out all of the hard copies I have in order to input information into the program.

So far, using an existing Piper cam profile, I'm looking at 125 hp potential.  Would be nice to use off-the-shelf parts for a change - even if the shelf is half way around the world.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Neil's Manta and the Shimmer and Son lakester.  While I do wish I had a car ready to race this year, not racing has a strong appeal to me.  I get to see the big picture again.  It's just too cool.

See ya'll in a few weeks.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6316 on: July 30, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
Hope to catch up Chris. Was wondering about the K status. Speaking of Fordboy, is he on holiday or something? I sent him an email early in the week and he has not responded. PM if there is any issue.

Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6317 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »
Chris --

Well, if you're looking for nostalgia, the 3076 roadster is making its maybe final(?) appearance after its debut on the salt 65 years ago.  Drop by and I'll give you some pink stuff.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6318 on: July 30, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »
Chris, I think you must have missed a parameter on the motor program, to get to 160HP with 1L,  I think you will need at least .320 to get there.  :-D  That is about the lift and HP for the hi HP Suzy's

Stan, is that boxed pink stuff  :? ... seems like the BLM hates bottles... or us  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6319 on: July 30, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
A concoction from plastic bottles.  All recyclable.  The bottles and the concoction.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6320 on: July 30, 2017, 11:43:12 PM »
Speaking of Fordboy, is he on holiday or something? I sent him an email early in the week and he has not responded. PM if there is any issue.

Jack

Actually, he's been busy doing contract work.

He also lost most of his photo posts to this thread, so until we can get the block back and start making some decisions based on final deck height, I expect he'll lay low.

As an aside, his daughter has been hit by the floods we've had here in the lower tier of Wisconsin Counties the last few weeks.  Everybody's fine, but the strip of land between Milwaukee and Chicago has just been drenched.  I know he's doing the "good dad" thing at the moment.

I've had the great pleasure of meeting all of his children.  He builds damned good engines, but he builds far better kids. 

Of course, it's not all him.  Mrs. Fordboy contributed as well.  :wink:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6321 on: July 31, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »
Chris, I think you must have missed a parameter on the motor program, to get to 160HP with 1L,  I think you will need at least .320 to get there.  :-D  That is about the lift and HP for the hi HP Suzy's

Bob, that's an interesting number.  The EnginePro program is calling for a recommendation of .340.  The shortest off-the-shelf grind I'm seeing is .378, which is the input for the predicted 125 output.  Probably perfect for a hi-po 1.6.  

9500 is all I expect the transmission will handle without sending needle bearings and teeth into the surrounding transmission case.

I suspect you wind the Suzy a little tighter?  :wink:

Looks like the Busa's typically top out well north of 200 CFM, but the numbers we're seeing on the Rover are not too far out of line with a stock Kawai ZX12  :roll:

This is the hell of it all - we're essentially trying to make a big torque engine based on Superbike architectural inputs.

I think . . . I THINK I need a quick lift, low height grind of some sort - kind of a fire plug grind, yet not so square as to break things.

I close my eyes, and I hear the rev limiter cutting in and out . . .

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6322 on: July 31, 2017, 02:18:21 AM »
I close my eyes, and I hear the rev limiter cutting in and out . . .

:-D  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6323 on: July 31, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
Chris, I was talking 1 liter, not the Busa or ZX12.  And yes I wing em a little tighter than that, but have dyno'd the 1L to 10K multiple times.  That is where the 160 came from.  At those lifts and rpm we expect 150-160.  And yes, those cams have steep ramps for quick lift and close.  Buried somewhere in my junk I probably have head flow numbers for the 1 liter heads I use.  Bore and stroke are published numbers but the valves are 1mm larger than stock.  Our  best results have used an aftermarket intake cam with a little more than .340 on intake and a stock intake on exhaust. 
Of course all this is flow and compression dependent
Stainless

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6324 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6325 on: July 31, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
Hey, the modified sports record is only 150. Piece of cake.  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6326 on: July 31, 2017, 07:15:19 PM »
Hey, the modified sports record is only 150. Piece of cake.  :cheers:

With an 80" wheelbase?

Honestly, I lack the balls the Kiwis in their Mini have, and I doubt the San Berdoo Roadster Club has room for another member with a car that might have a propensity toward turning itself into a merry-go-round.   :|

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6327 on: July 31, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
. . . but you do get a more interesting view of the course.

(First and only time with "Positraction")

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6328 on: July 31, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »
Should have waited for the 4 Stan, it would have been a lot more exciting  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6329 on: July 31, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »
Well, I'm screwing "the Grenade" back together for the last time.  I've accepted an offer from a broker in England for the shorts block.

I'm calling it a "shorts" block, because that's what I'm losing on it. 

But then I don't recall anybody ever breaking even while doing this stuff.

I have no idea what it will be going in to, but I will no longer be tripping over it, which does make me happy.

I'm a little misty-eyed about it - I learned a lot putting that thing together.