Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255129 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6240 on: April 10, 2017, 05:15:40 AM »

I'm delighted to hear that I wasn't the only Arkley user. POF593G was mine; horrific by modern standards but a bucket of fun 30 years ago. Loose steering sounds like a bad idea, though, surely? Mine didn't really go where it was pointed until I'd freshened all the wearable bits of front suspension.

F

Shakespere on the Wold?

Question ... What Car Designer won in F-1 driving a car he designed and built himself?

Dan Gurney

Jack Brabham
Local Guy

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6241 on: April 10, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
Thanks for the Gurney concurences, gentlemen.  Especially you, Mark. Apex Humbuggery United!  :cheers:

vic

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Our new team Vic . . . . . . . .  Apex Humbuggery United

:cheers:
AHUsurvivorboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6242 on: April 10, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
Question ... What Car Designer won in F-1 driving a car he designed and built himself?

Dan Gurney

I believe Jack Brabham and Bruce McLaren also fall into this category.

Yes, I believe those gentlemen should also be included.

I'm wondering though, how much of the "design work" was actually done by those 3.    I know Ron Tauranac was the designer @ Brabham and was also a principal of the firm from the outset.  The late Carroll Smith was a big fan of Tauranac.     I just don't know the details for the other two firms.   Back in the day, a lot of the "design work" was done by "committee".    And, true to form, MANY major changes in a design, address MFU's and various other things that are a maintenance PITA.   I have direct experience here, and so will midget, once he decides to "fix" the front end geometry of the lowered MM.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:25:16 AM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6243 on: April 10, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
Apex Humbuggery United!  :cheers:

vic

Vic,

Next time you are in or near Chicago, you MUST revisit the "Apex Humbuggery".   I'll even meet up with you there.

It's Apex Automotive now, Bill has (owns??) the whole building, his son Willie is there also, AND, (drumroll please . . . ) Raghead #1 is still employed there.   AND, it is pretty much the same . . . . . . . go figure.

Oh, I'm buying.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6244 on: April 10, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »

Dan Gurney

Jack Brabham
Local Guy

G

Colonel,

Not a correction, just additional information:

http://rontauranac.com.au/

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
FanofBrabhams&Raltsboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6245 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
I have direct experience here, and so will midget, once he decides to "fix" the front end geometry of the lowered MM.

I've been toying with the Sparky approach of a pair of custom Podunk wheels with motorcycle racing tires - narrower and shorter, spindle mounted - which will get the geometry back to a reasonable location and keep the low ride height, yet maintain enough suspension travel that the return road doesn't hammer the bump stops.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #6246 on: April 10, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »
I found project mantis lotus elise on facebook a while ago, not knowing he is running a rover k series engine. He just posted his engine pieces/plan for making it live around 400+hp with a turbo. If you havent heard of it, its a place for engine knowledge, if you have, then i am old hat...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6247 on: April 10, 2017, 01:55:13 PM »
I found project mantis lotus elise on facebook a while ago, not knowing he is running a rover k series engine. He just posted his engine pieces/plan for making it live around 400+hp with a turbo. If you havent heard of it, its a place for engine knowledge, if you have, then i am old hat...

Thanks, CM - I just checked it out.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #6248 on: April 11, 2017, 12:32:56 AM »
I always thought motorsickle tars were meant to lean in turns, not stay bolt upright. Hence, be totally unsuitable for cars. I am willing to be wrong. In fact, I'd love to be wrong because I'd like to run them on the Tank.  :roll: Wayno

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6249 on: April 11, 2017, 01:42:49 AM »
Boy Racer :) :

I briefly ran 16" Harley tires on 4" Ford rims on my lakes modified

at 65mph+.  Just fine around town, but I had some high-speed shimmy & shake so I took them off.  Turned out one of the 4-inchers was heavily cracked on several bolt holes that could only be seen from the back side.  I plan on trying it again (real soon) with two good wheels.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline salt27

« Reply #6250 on: April 11, 2017, 02:16:17 AM »
I have direct experience here, and so will midget, once he decides to "fix" the front end geometry of the lowered MM.

I've been toying with the Sparky approach of a pair of custom Podunk wheels with motorcycle racing tires - narrower and shorter, spindle mounted - which will get the geometry back to a reasonable location and keep the low ride height, yet maintain enough suspension travel that the return road doesn't hammer the bump stops.

I'm sure you already know but according to 2.F you need permission to run the MC tires.

That said, I know of a very fast VW that runs them on all fours and says they handle good.

My 2 cents, Don

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6251 on: April 11, 2017, 07:29:36 AM »
I always thought motorsickle tars were meant to lean in turns, not stay bolt upright. Hence, be totally unsuitable for cars. I am willing to be wrong. In fact, I'd love to be wrong because I'd like to run them on the Tank.  :roll: Wayno

Similarly, car tars can't be used on said motorsickle 'cause they can't lean over right...... :evil:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Podunk

« Reply #6252 on: April 11, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »
Be advised that there is just over .100" difference in bead diameter between motorcycle & auto wheels/tires. Auto are larger.
Terry

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6253 on: April 11, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
 :dhorse:  be advised I am staying out of this---lol   :dhorse:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Podunk

« Reply #6254 on: April 11, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »
no guts no glory :roll: