Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255283 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6195 on: March 06, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »

Now I know who stole our frame paint........

Goggs, it's all part of the evil plan.  In order for you to finish the SOS, you'll need to stop by Neil's house for a quick touch-up of the chassis, after which you can drop it off for inspection at Bonneville . . .   :wink:

You bring it, I'll paint it. Of course the quality might not be up to Earl Scheib standards.  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6196 on: March 06, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
There you go, Neil, dating yourself.  Earl Scheib?  It's been a while.  "I'll paint any car for $29.95."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #6197 on: March 06, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
Gosh Slim you are old! By the time I came around Earl was getting $99 to paint a car!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6198 on: March 06, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
That's when they started masking off the glass.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6199 on: March 06, 2017, 03:59:26 PM »
   'Ol Earl could also keep you could also keep your beer cold.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6201 on: March 29, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »
Well, that was easier than I thought.

After calling Haggerty and being told they wouldn't insure the Frankensprite because I intended to actually drive it, my trusty Am Fam agent - even after showing him pictures - agreed to sign me up!  So come Saturday, weather permitting, I'll be taking the Pom Rod out on an extended journey - with nothing but a cell phone, a credit card and a fire extinguisher.

Seriously - if you're talking once every three weeks taking your car to work, Haggerty won't even give you the time of day.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #6202 on: March 30, 2017, 12:32:07 AM »
In 67 when I had my "service station" (we did service then) I had my life, health, house, garage owners liability and insurance on my 57 Pontiac and 65 Mustang all with one  company. The agent came out and said they didn't want to insure the Mustang because the VIN said it was a 271hp HiPo. I told him the only choice they had was to insure all or none. They decided to insure it.
I didn't bother to tell him I had cut the shock towers out and replaced the 289 with a 427.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline salt27

« Reply #6203 on: March 30, 2017, 12:44:41 AM »
I have had to change insurance companies twice because they refused to insure my 60 Chevy.

House, Farm and six vehicles follow with it.

Don

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6204 on: March 30, 2017, 01:26:24 AM »
My agent told me today that Hagerty is no more. He told me the name of the company who bought them out, but I already forgot it. Perhaps their offerings might change now?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6205 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
My agent told me today that Hagerty is no more. He told me the name of the company who bought them out, but I already forgot it. Perhaps their offerings might change now?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, they are no more for me.

They're always pushing their wares at car shows.  I've had their refridgerator magnets and tote bags knocking around the house for quite a while, and their website is still up.  They sent me a quote, which their intransigent customer service rep backpedaled on, so I'm reasonably certain they're still around - but not for me.

The only reason I even approached Hagerty is because I really didn't think I could talk American Family into covering this road-ready monstrosity.  But to Ron's point, we've got the Subaru, the F-150, the MGB and the house covered through them, along with an umbrella policy - which I guess covers litigious legal altercations involving umbrellas.  My agent ran it up the flag pole and got it approved. 

What's cool about Peter, my agent, is that he's owned an MGB, and is very aware of the mods and the large number of V8 conversions out there.  I was completely up front with him, included pictures of the Sprite, the upgrades, the engine, the wheels poking out from the fender wells, my plan to drive it to Wendover - and he didn't flinch.

It wasn't as cheap as the initial quote I got from Hagerty, but if I clip an elk outside of Rawlins, I'm covered by something other than deer dung.

28 years as a customer with no claims probably had something to do with it as well.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6206 on: March 30, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
Chris, you and Kate obviously live too mellow a life.  Learn to drive fast and swerve a lot -- that'll probably be enough to get some insurance claims for youse guys. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6207 on: March 30, 2017, 01:34:27 PM »
Chris, you and Kate obviously live too mellow a life.  Learn to drive fast and swerve a lot -- that'll probably be enough to get some insurance claims for youse guys. :cheers:

Here in Wisconsin, we have a word for people who drive like that.

They're called "FIBs", which is an acronym for motorists who venture north of the Cheddar Curtain.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6208 on: March 30, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
We're driving from home to Chicago tomorrow, then Indy Saturday, then home Sunday.  I suspect we'll see our share of goofy drivers, some wearing cheeseheads, some not.But they'll be there, for sure.

Going to see Bumpus at The Emporium on Milwaukee Ave tomorrow night.  C U there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6209 on: March 30, 2017, 02:41:09 PM »
We're driving from home to Chicago tomorrow, then Indy Saturday, then home Sunday.  I suspect we'll see our share of goofy drivers, some wearing cheeseheads, some not.But they'll be there, for sure.

Going to see Bumpus at The Emporium on Milwaukee Ave tomorrow night.  C U there.

I mixed Bumpus 20 years ago at The Globe in Milwaukee.  You're in for a great show.

I'm at Spooffest tomorrow - This is the first year neither Kate or myself are performing, so we're taking a cab.

https://www.facebook.com/spooffest/