Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255362 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6075 on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:26 AM »
Chris,
This may be to late for your West Coast trip but if you happen to come north to the "real" wine country, Napa and Sonoma counties, I happen to live in the wine country and would certainly welcome a visit and we can try a few (of the literally hundreds!) of local wineries. Drop me an e mail, rexschimmera@gmail.com or call my cell, 707-484-5721.

Rex

Rex, I regret not checking my e-mails on the trip - I would have enjoyed meeting and chatting with you.

We did get to Rutherford, where we visited the Frog's Leap winery.  Kate and I have been fans of their Zinfandels since I first stumbled across it at the liquor store I worked at while putting myself through school.  We ordered a mixed case of their new vintages, and we're expecting delivery in October.

Nick, as always, my timing is off.  I couldn't make Speedweek, and three days before we were to arrive in LA, the Kiwis jetted back to New Zealand.  They still need to do a post mortem on the Mini, and I've e-mailed Garry and stayed on top of what they've done.  It's my hope they take it to Gairdner, but they've mentioned they were going to be pensioning off parts.  I understand the need to recoup some costs, but that car belongs in a museum, and intact.

There are now TWO short stroke A-series engines holding records at Bonneville. 

Ain't that about the silliest thing you ever heard?  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6076 on: September 28, 2016, 08:30:01 AM »
Back to the 1KK -

I've got the offer-up ready to drop in and check for clearance -

If we're to maintain the stock starter, we'll be carving a bit off the block and definitely removing this motor mount outcropping -

The Lexan adapter lets us see behind and through things.  When we've determined everything is correct, we'll cut one from steel or aluminum.  I'm thinking steel - we're loosing almost 100 lbs over the front wheels, and a steel plate, setting toward the back of the engine bay, would likely be a good place to shift some weight.

Hoping to get this figured out and ship the block next week to Steve Demirjian for the resleeve - he holds several of Darton's patents.  While it's likely either C&S or T&T could do the work locally, I like the idea of someone who has specialized in this kind of work for 30 years actually doing the work.

Online jacksoni

« Reply #6077 on: September 28, 2016, 09:04:11 AM »
Glad to see this project back on the front burner. A year will evaporate quickly.... :cheers:

Though people worry about traction, and thus weight over the rear is often added, going straight with CG ahead of CP is a good thing so I wouldn't worry too much about making your plate of steel. :roll:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6078 on: September 29, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »
Back to the 1KK -

I've got the offer-up ready to drop in and check for clearance -

If we're to maintain the stock starter, we'll be carving a bit off the block and definitely removing this motor mount outcropping -

The Lexan adapter lets us see behind and through things.  When we've determined everything is correct, we'll cut one from steel or aluminum.  I'm thinking steel - we're loosing almost 100 lbs over the front wheels, and a steel plate, setting toward the back of the engine bay, would likely be a good place to shift some weight.

Hoping to get this figured out and ship the block next week to Steve Demirjian for the resleeve - he holds several of Darton's patents.  While it's likely either C&S or T&T could do the work locally, I like the idea of someone who has specialized in this kind of work for 30 years actually doing the work.

midget,

Don't discount the idea of a "slight" rotational "layover".    Say, 5 degrees or so.    This could "re-align" the components in a way so that "heavy carving" might be avoided.

Obviously, this install is going to be a tight fit.    The trick is going to be to find the best "compromise".   And at this point, it is hard to guess about what might be the component that requires the greatest "deference", with out the "mock up/offer up".    It is either going to be the intake system/fenderwell, OR, the header/steering shaft bundle of snakes . . . . . . .    Pick your poison . . . . .

You might want to dig up and repost some of the internet photos of this swap, (I recall I posted up one photo eons back), which turns out to be somewhat common in merry olde England.   As I recall, there is even a conversion "kit" for RHD.    Too bad there doesn't seem to be one for LHD.     Yes, I know the kit uses the K transmission.     That's why you have a mock up plate . . . . . . .   To retain the proven BMC trans and its' ratios.

Ahhhh, ya know, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6079 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »
I'm thinking that the engine doesn't have to be in there straight or even centered. 

The u-joint(s) doesn't have to know it's working only in a vertical plane.  It can even offset that big thing in the left of the passenger compartment.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #6080 on: September 29, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
How big is the stock starter? Would a more readily available Hitachi style starter work? 2 bolt flange and a small gear. Very compact gear driven permanent magnet motor.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6081 on: September 30, 2016, 07:16:04 AM »
How big is the stock starter? Would a more readily available Hitachi style starter work? 2 bolt flange and a small gear. Very compact gear driven permanent magnet motor.

It already has a Hitachi style gear reduction starter.     Unfortunately, that starter uses the stock mounting bolt pattern, the bolt circle is a 5" pitch circle diameter.    The main problem is that since these bits were never fitted together in a stock application, some of the mounting bolts and castings "overlap" each other, creating "modest" adaptor plate/fastener issues.    This is a problem that can be overcome with a cleverly CAD designed adaptor plate and proper fastener choices.     Just another trick from someone's "portable cauldron".

We do have the option of fitting a 4 cyl Ford starter nose, (same Hitachi starter, smaller mounting P.C.D.) onto the new "adaptor plate" which will be "sandwiched" between the new K engine and the original BMC bellhousing.    BTW, the bellhousing is an integral part of the transmission case, so unless Chris wants to start another big CAD/CNC driven production to adapt something, it is going to be retained for the time being.    That decision is going to be driven by cost and necessity, and since proper engine prep is going to be expensive, the first competition permutation of this orphan heart transplant is going to concentrate on the engine aspect, while changing the least amount of ancillary parts.

Anybody who has ever fitted a unique engine into an older chassis has had to overcome these issues.    Not impossible, just a challenge to be overcome on the route to the next competition appearance for the Milwaukee Midget.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6082 on: September 30, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »
In addition, I've already got an SCTA approved blow blanket that fits to the existing bellhousing.

Regarding the kits used in Great Britain for this swap, they all utilize the Ford Sierra T-9 transmission, and all kits I've seen utilize a cast bellhousing.

This would require a new blow blanket, going through the long process of getting approval from our friends at SCTA, and at the end of the road, what I've got is a transmission that I'd have to rebuild in order to get a ratio set that would work with the expected powerband of the new engine.

As it sits now, the ribcage BMC box is already fitted with a close ratio set of straight cuts.

I'd be looking at a minimum of 3 Gs to set it up with a box that has helical cut gears and is only marginally better than the one I've got, with an extra gear I don't need.  I've already had the crank flange cut to accept the 1275 flywheel, so that die has been cast.

At least we've got room to work with - I've been watching the Spirit of Sunshine diary - Goggs, Grummy and the Rev are the ones with the challenge!

If we need to lay it over to make it fit, we'll lay it over - but we're GOING TO MAKE IT FIT.   :cheers:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:25:50 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6083 on: October 27, 2016, 12:37:53 AM »
Quick update - the K block is in California at Race Engine Development in Oceanside being fitted with Darton liners, the crank is at C&S where he double checked the stroke (55.5 - spot on and straight) and the deck plate and studs will be winging their way to California to join the rest of the block.

All this, and in spite of the fact that I've spent WAY too much time watching the team I swore off of head to the World Series.

Next stop, 1060 W. Addison.

GO CUBS!

Interesting facts - the last time the Cubs won the World Series, the Model T had only been on the market for 10 days, most Americans lived on farms, Chicagoans owned nearly 83,000 horses, and the Wright Brothers made the first passenger flight. 

Something to think about when you see a '26 roadster on the salt after flying into SLC over Nebraska.

Now if they could only do something about that smell . . . 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6084 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »

Something to think about when you see a '26 roadster on the salt after flying into SLC over Nebraska.

Now if they could only do something about that smell . . . 

Actually I always thought SLC smelled a lot better than Milwaukee or Chicago....  :evil: :evil:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6085 on: October 27, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
It's an acquired taste, Stainless. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #6086 on: October 27, 2016, 01:28:19 PM »
It's an acquired taste, Stainless. :roll:

And so are half developed pickled duck eggs, but it still doesnt make things better.

Offline hoffman900

« Reply #6087 on: November 12, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
Mark, et-al,

Figured you guys would enjoy this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMky5ObAp0I/?taken-by=power_technik

Dailey modular dry sump pan / manifold for a 1500cc Ford.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6088 on: November 13, 2016, 07:33:09 AM »
Mark, et-al,

Figured you guys would enjoy this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMky5ObAp0I/?taken-by=power_technik

Dailey modular dry sump pan / manifold for a 1500cc Ford.

Yes, Dailey Engineering is "state of the art" or, perhaps, slightly beyond.     His stuff is used in top line Nascar (both, Toyota and Roush-Yates, hmmmm . . . . .) and F1 engines.     He is on a par with Cosworth Components and Autoverdi units from Europe.

Needless to say, this sort of quality comes at a price . . . . . .    but that did not stop one of my clients from using a complete Dailey Engineering system on his 632 cubic inch BB Chevy match race engine with EFI, ESC, and nitrous . . . . . . .

The power numbers are BIG, and private . . . . . . .    (Sorry, no photos either . . . . .)

Something to think about is how the very efficient removal of the oil "cloud" from the inside of the crankcase affects other aspects of the engine's engineering.   I want to caution anyone who thinks this might be a "one issue" modification.    Remember the law of "unintended consequences" . . . . .

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:09:53 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6089 on: November 13, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »
Remember the law of "unintended consequences" . . . especially when combined with the law of diminishing returns!  :x Not just your wallet!  :-o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz