Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255206 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6015 on: August 17, 2016, 01:35:16 AM »
That pie looks great Chris. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6016 on: August 17, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
Looks pastylicious.  :cheers: Hang in there. Wayno

Darned near as good as the fridge-ribs at the Rodge Mahal!  :cheers:

Wayno - see you on the 11th.

midget,

Did you purposely leave out the beverage in that photo?

Glad you and Mrs. midget are OK

:cheers:
Nolikeyriotsboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

gkabbt

« Reply #6017 on: August 17, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »

Chris, Like Mark said, glad you and Kate are OK!
Also, thanks for the pic of the pastie. One of our destinations on this trip is Michigan as Lynda has never been there. After we leave Montana we will come the very northern route through ND, MN and end up in Marquette, MI where we will feast on pasties at Jean Kays.
Your pic let Lynda see what these delicious concoctions are!

Gregg
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:58:14 AM by gkabbt »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6018 on: August 17, 2016, 10:33:44 AM »

Chris, Like Mark said, glad you and Kate are OK!
Also, thanks for the pic of the pastie. One of our destinations on this trip is Michigan as Lynda has never been there. After we leave Montana we will come the very northern route through ND, MN and end up in Marquette, MI where we will feast on pasties at Jean Kays.
Your pic let Lynda see what these delicious concoctions are!

Gregg

Gregg,

Are you and the Mrs. heading home via Milwaukee/Chicago, or are you proceeding "over the top" and the "Mighty Mac" through lower Michigan?

If you are traveling the Milwaukee/Chicago route, is there a chance for all of us to gather for a meal somewhere?    I suspect it would have to be dinner to include Mrs. Fordboy & Mrs. midget in the party.

Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

gkabbt

« Reply #6019 on: August 17, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »

Mark,  After Marquette, it's on to Sault St. Marie and then down to the Mighty Mac and lower MI. I'd like to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn.
We'll meet up some other time.

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6020 on: August 17, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »

Mark,  After Marquette, it's on to Sault St. Marie and then down to the Mighty Mac and lower MI.

Ahhh - the bridge to nowhere - regardless of the direction you are traveling.   :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

gkabbt

« Reply #6021 on: August 17, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »
 :-D  :-D :-D

Gregg

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6022 on: August 17, 2016, 03:18:49 PM »
Gregg,

Another time then.    Enjoy your trip and the Ford Museum.

Mark

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6023 on: August 17, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Wow - the Kiwis today ran 166.046 after a disallowed run of 157.501 in the I/BFCC - and after setting a record in I/BGALT @ 144.033.

Amazing.

gkabbt

« Reply #6024 on: August 17, 2016, 10:42:08 PM »
166.046 in an oversized go-kart!  :-o  :-o  :-o  
Congrats to them! Was this a qualifying run?

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6025 on: August 17, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
166.046 in an oversized go-kart!  :-o  :-o  :-o 

Gregg

Indeed - fast enough to require the laundry - which I find absolutely comical.

There was some technical/class issue with the 157 run, and that run was disallowed, so they just said "screw it", got back in the queue, and tagged on an extra 9!

2 years in storage outside of Lancaster, jump off a plane, trailer it to Wendover and roll a downrun 22 mph faster than the old record.

Considering the block they started with, I'm impressed.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6026 on: August 19, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
166.046 in an oversized go-kart!  :-o  :-o  :-o 

Gregg

There was some technical/class issue with the 157 run, and that run was disallowed, so they just said "screw it", got back in the queue, and tagged on an extra 9!

2 years in storage outside of Lancaster, jump off a plane, trailer it to Wendover and roll a downrun 22 mph faster than the old record.

Considering the block they started with, I'm impressed.

Pretty impressive for a brick with the ride height of a go cart, and, using a tractor block for the basis of the power plant . . . . . . . . .

Proving yet again you can't tell a Kiwi: "it can't be done" . . . . . .

To the Gents responsible for this feat:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   Celebrate with something unique and sublime.   You sure earned it.

Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6027 on: August 19, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »
Indeed, but they did have a problem on their backup run.  Between the 2 and the 3, they lost oil pressure, so their attempt average was based between the 1 and the 2.  Still came in with a 152 average on a 144, but it would have made a huge statement if it had held together through the 3, and they could have averaged the 166 down run speed through the 3, rather than basing it on the 160.

They mentioned they thought the oil pump gave up the ghost, and Mark, I was right, they WERE running a stock oil pump.  I'm not sure how the rest of the engine was plumbed with the BMW head, but there was no report of external leakage.  Post mortem will tell the tale.

From their Facebook page -

The world's most iconic small-car, on the worlds fastest race track!

The team have finished up at Bonneville, walking away with two records and a fastest run of 166mph (267kmph) going into an 8mph head win. We were planning for 170mph+ on our last run as the conditions were perfect and we had finally found the sweet spot on the tune, but the little 970cc A-series motor said no more half way through the run.

We pulled the pin out of the 370hp hand grenade at the start of week, and had no intention of putting it back in. At the end a lack of oil pressure stopped us. Both Nelson and Bryan have been honored to be part of one of the most popular teams at Bonneville for a second time.

A little about the car...
 A 1964 Mini Cooper, beautifully prepared by the Project '64 Mini team. We developed the engine, and supplied the driver (Nelson Hartley). The Minis power plant is the original A-Series BMC 970 Cooper S (970cc). The engine is still running the original block and gear box, but with a BMW K-series motorcycle cylinder head grafted to the top, fuel injection, and a perfectly tuned turbo supplied by Steve Murch at MSE Turbos. As we always do, we made as many components in house as we could, everything had to be strong, getting rid of the harmonic out of a 3 bearing crank shaft at 20psi of boost and 10,000rpm is never easy. With pure Methanol fueling the little beast, we made just over 370Hp on the Dyno in NZ. Not bad for an engine that started life with roughly 60Hp.

gkabbt

« Reply #6028 on: August 19, 2016, 06:38:05 PM »

First thing I paid attention to was the classification - I/BGALT and when I saw the parachute I thought WTF!  

NOW I understand!!!!!  :-D    Outstanding performance from the Kiwi's.

Gregg
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:46:35 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6029 on: August 19, 2016, 09:40:13 PM »
Mark and I chatted earlier today about the Project '64, and I did remember correctly, lo those many years ago -

Looks like an A+ block, still using the standard oil pump (?!) - That surprises me a bit, but there's probably not a lot of room to hang a dry sump off to the side.

Speculation at this point, but I also had another notion as to the failure as well.  360 hp with 20 lbs of boost at 10K could have cracked the center web (3 main, mind you) yet still permitted the engine to run due to the short stroke and crank strength, especially if they weren't running a vibration damper.  I do hope they go public with a post mortem, because this is about as heavily stressed an A series block as the world has ever seen.