Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255776 times)

Offline Interested Observer

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5985 on: July 25, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »
Chris,  re:  photo of block and trans..
There is a series of four angled “spigots” on the side of the block.  What are they?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5986 on: July 25, 2016, 06:15:51 PM »
And what's all that "cantilevered" stuff up on top -- if that is the top.  Now I'm seeing even more that that sandwich is not one found at Subway.

Chris has never taken the easy way out, but this looks like throwing road blocks out ahead of your progress.  Sure glad Fordboy's along for this ride.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5987 on: July 25, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »
Chris,  re:  photo of block and trans..
There is a series of four angled “spigots” on the side of the block.  What are they?

Those are what are referred to as "optical illusions".  What you're actually seeing is bolt recesses into the side of the girdle, but yes, they do look like spigots!

The holes are for the bolts that hold the girdle to the bottom of the block around the perimeter.  The long bolts provide most of the clamp load, but in addition to the 10 long bolts, there are an additional 10 machine screws holding the girdle in place around the perimeter of the bottom of the block.

For what is going to be a 1 liter engine with a target of 135 hp, between the EN40B crank, 5 main bearings, ARP long studs and a perimeter secured girdle, I'm thinking we should be able to keep the bottom end together.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5988 on: July 26, 2016, 08:57:34 AM »
HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!

400 Build Diary pages . . . . . .

Does that mean you are a "wordy" Hawkeye/Sconnie blowhole? ? ?   :roll:

Or does it mean you get a lot of help from your friends? ? ?    :-D

Including the "flatlanders" from below the "cheddar curtain" ? ? ?    :evil:

:cheers:  :dhorse:
Flatlanderboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5989 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:24 AM »
Hmmm....A V-8 ????..I need to pay more attention to this thread :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5990 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »

For what is going to be a 1 liter engine with a target of 135 hp, between the EN40B crank, 5 main bearings, ARP long studs and a perimeter secured girdle, I'm thinking we should be able to keep the bottom end together.

midget,

Considering that the 1.8L full race K's make 260/280 bhp, I'm thinking that a 1.0L full race @ 125/135 bhp, is relatively lowly stressed . . . . . . as if such a thing exists in racing . . . . . .   :?

:cheers:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5991 on: July 26, 2016, 12:19:52 PM »
Wow Chris a 400 page build on a car  that is labelled a "midget"! Not only do we know each and every mechanical detail of the Midget's journey but you and others shared the mental ping pong of trying to figure out engineering ideas that were never meant to be compatible. Then you package it all up in a car half the size of most, tow it across the US, have the nerve to drive  it and bring the MG back to the US. But for me, the all time great entry is when you flip the midget over on it's cage to work on the chassis. You just can't beat the convenience of a removable top!
Thanks for keeping us informed and entertained.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline ShazamRacing

• New folks
« Reply #5992 on: July 28, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »
All,  It would be awesome if you can get 120 horses out of that thing.  Shazam had a session on the chassis dyno yesterday.  70 hp at the wheels (est. 80 at flywheel).  1.3 hp/cu in.  With my gearing, and our results at various mile events, I'm optimistic this should get us over 122.5!  We'll see in about 2 weeks!  I can only dream to have 120 hp at the flywheel. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5993 on: July 28, 2016, 01:22:58 PM »
All,  It would be awesome if you can get 120 horses out of that thing.  Shazam had a session on the chassis dyno yesterday.  70 hp at the wheels (est. 80 at flywheel).  1.3 hp/cu in.  With my gearing, and our results at various mile events, I'm optimistic this should get us over 122.5!  We'll see in about 2 weeks!  I can only dream to have 120 hp at the flywheel. 

We got it done with 99, and you've got a huge aero advantage.

Good luck, be safe, and keep it glued together.

It looks like the short tracks should give you an excellent surface this year.

Also, before you leave, download a copy of the rookie orientation booklet - it'll help you anticipate what will be said during rookie O, and get you into the groove faster.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/90652bedb053cbc41f0b3a80fadfaa0d?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Chris

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5994 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:03 AM »
Wow Chris a 400 page build on a car  that is labelled a "midget"! Not only do we know each and every mechanical detail of the Midget's journey but you and others shared the mental ping pong of trying to figure out engineering ideas that were never meant to be compatible. Then you package it all up in a car half the size of most, tow it across the US, have the nerve to drive  it and bring the MG back to the US. But for me, the all time great entry is when you flip the midget over on it's cage to work on the chassis. You just can't beat the convenience of a removable top!
Thanks for keeping us informed and entertained.

BR

I keep tellin' you guys he's a flip-flopper!!!

:cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5995 on: July 29, 2016, 08:15:58 AM »

Gary,

As we go along on this buildup for the 'K' (or whatever Chris is calling it these days . . . ) pretty much everything will be on the build diary, just as before.    Successes, failures, engineering, build up, dyno, fitment, etc.   It will be a compendium of brain and hemorrhoid surgery . . . . . .   maybe at the same time . . . . . .

:cheers:    or     :dhorse:     who knows how it might turn out? ? ? ? ?

Nottooworriedboy

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5996 on: July 30, 2016, 04:05:06 AM »
Yup, no questioning Chris' bravery and commitment!!!!.
I get so afraid just reading the posts. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5997 on: July 30, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »

The only thing we have to fear is - beer itself.

Especially if you've ever seen Mark's refrigerator.

My forays south of the Cheddar Curtain require restraint, bravery and courage.

And I will remind you -

THAT man is FEARLESS!   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:17:34 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5998 on: July 30, 2016, 10:13:37 AM »

The only thing we have to fear is - beer itself.

Especially if you've ever seen Mark's refrigerator.

I stock an ever changing variety of refreshing, fermented beverages.    All pre-chilled.     What's not to like?   I do admit a fondness for dark and malty varieties however, and I am currently in the midst of a multi-year 3 Floyds homage.   If you are a "Hop Head", or a fan of "Lite whatever", you will be disappointed in my selections.    GET OVER IT, if for no other reason than the price is right.

My forays south of the Cheddar Curtain require restraint, bravery and courage.

And I will remind you -

THAT man is FEARLESS!   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Are you still whingeing about the "Lobotomy Bock" sampling?   Yes, I was disappointed as well, but I think your IQ remains: unaffected.

Sheesh, how are you going to know if something is "acceptable" in the taste department if you don't sample it?

Now I wouldn't willingly consume cat urine.    Too bad some of the samples tasted like what I imagine cat urine to be.    I'd say that there was little risk to me or my guests ingesting small samples of such fare, but in the garden where we having been dumping the remainder of the "unacceptable" samples, the "growth rate" is markedly reduced.

Perhaps we should be "concerned".     Or not.

It remains a possibility that consumption of "large" quantities of "low quality" fermented beverages could affect us.    But, and I hesitate to point this out:

You already race an ancient, 1 liter powered, stock bodied, MG Midget, soon to have an "orphan" heart transplant!!!

Really, how much worse could it get? ? ? ? ?

I vote that we continue to drink, er, SAMPLE, on a more or less continuous basis.    Consider this:

If we stop drinking, what excuse will we have to continue slogging, (er, racing) that puppy? ? ?

You know the age I turned this year.    For my part, I'm all about liquor and dessert.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Elderboy
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:17:52 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #5999 on: July 30, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
OK, that's some funny shit right there.  Thanks for the morning laugh Mark!!

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ