Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255593 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5415 on: December 08, 2015, 10:37:02 PM »
I checked the fridge this morning before I went to work.  There was food in there, so I'm still under budget . . .MM

silly boy

you look for liquids in bottles and cans--not that solid stuff that can spoil!!!!!!!!!

I'll never learn - there has been more than one night when I've found myself elbow deep into the project, realize I'm thirsty and looked at the clock, only to discover the startling truth that the liquor store had already closed.

Food?
Pork Chops come in cans and bottles....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:44:02 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5416 on: December 08, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »

Food?

You know, Wayno has a fridge that dispenses hot smoked ribs and pork chops, but I had to bring my own bottles . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5417 on: December 09, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »
I checked the fridge this morning before I went to work.  There was food in there, so I'm still under budget . . .MM

silly boy

you look for liquids in bottles and cans--not that solid stuff that can spoil!!!!!!!!!

I'll never learn - there has been more than one night when I've found myself elbow deep into the project, realize I'm thirsty and looked at the clock, only to discover the startling truth that the liquor store had already closed.

Food?

I like the contents of your fridge.     Seems to be mostly dark and porter-y.      yum . . . . .

"Do not underestimate the power of the dark side".

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline salt27

« Reply #5418 on: December 09, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
Stainless,
I see some Ninkasi on the bottom shelf and maybe some Deschutes on the second row middle shelf.
You must be getting acclimated for a trip to Oregon.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:53:25 AM by salt27 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5419 on: December 09, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »
midget,

You might want to review the information in this last post as it is 4 valve specific.   I know I have been threatening to get this posted for a while now.   So many cats, so little time . . . . . . . . . . .

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14175.msg284882.html#new

Happy Holidays!!

:cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5420 on: December 14, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
midget,

OK, now that we have returned from racer Nirvana, we need to gather some dimensions to go forward with ordering the parts that will be required.

Probably should start with the block/barrels.   Going to need to know:

A)   Current size of barrel insert diameter in block,
2)   Current size of barrel seating diameter in block, AND, approximate maximum diameter block can accommodate,
d)   Current size of barrel clearance opening at deck face, AND approximate maximum that can be used without "siamesing" the barrels,
z)   And probably other stuff I'm not listing this early in the morning.

Block machining is going to have to start with line honing the mains.   That can not be done before re-notching for the proposed main bearing swap.    I would like to see the re-machining for the new barrels done on some sort of CNC boring mill, just to guarantee concentricity between the upper diameters and the lower ledge and barrel opening.

We should probably draft some order of work process, broken down by component, just to be able to judge order, process, progress, etc.   Sounds like an Excel spreadsheet.

I'm going to spend the morning sorting through the info from the show, and making some calls to parts vendor contacts who promised more info when back in their offices.

Terry might need to pull dimensions directly off the head to insure the deckplate will fit properly.   I'll take some measurements off the flow bench slider plate to determine the bore centerline axis relative to the bolt/stud holes, but that's going to be later in the week.

Your thoughts?

BTW, thanks for the Oktoberfest, I'll cherish every drop . . . . .

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5421 on: December 15, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
midget,

Contacted Bill @ Mahle Aftermarket, from the PRI show.    He is going to check availability and vendors for the race quality Rover main bearing set, and get back to me.
Part # is: VM 1012

Fordboy

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #5422 on: December 15, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
midget,

Contacted Bill @ Mahle Aftermarket, from the PRI show.

Fordboy, did you speak with Bill McKnight? If so, you got ahold of the most knowledgeable fellow in the industry. A great guy and good friend.

John

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5423 on: December 15, 2015, 07:15:27 PM »
midget,

Contacted Bill @ Mahle Aftermarket, from the PRI show.    He is going to check availability and vendors for the race quality Rover main bearing set, and get back to me.
Part # is: VM 1012

Fordboy
Crikey- I found one site that listed them at 198brit lbs (168 ex VAT) and that is just for the mains! Ouch!
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5424 on: December 16, 2015, 12:13:39 AM »

Crikey- I found one site that listed them at 198brit lbs (168 ex VAT) and that is just for the mains! Ouch!

Did we mention we're reworking the oiling system, and we'll need 2 sets to get grooved bearings on both the top and the bottom of the journals?

It's starting to cut into my beer money . . .  :cry:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5425 on: December 16, 2015, 01:56:39 AM »
Chris- For one of my engines I added grooves to the non-grooved main bearing halves, on my manual mill. Used a main cap for a holding fixture- one end of insert resting against a fence, a bolt & washer clamping the other end of the insert in place (both out of the way of the groove to be cut).  Ground a round-nose tool bit to swing in an offset boring head. The main cap is clamped in place, for repetitive cutting of the other inserts. Worked out fine. Those main prices would make the effort well worth it in your case.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:12:46 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5426 on: December 16, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »
Fordboy, did you speak with Bill McKnight?

John

Yup.   Nice guy.   Hope he can find a supplier here in the US.

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5427 on: December 16, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »

Yeah, the prices are expensive.   Since Vandervell was taken over, the prices for race quality tri-metal bearings has sky-rocketed.   Everybody now pays F-1 rates . . . . . .

I'm just happy they make them, and I am sure it will not be for much longer . . . . . .

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5428 on: December 16, 2015, 07:53:21 AM »
Chris- For one of my engines I added grooves to the non-grooved main bearing halves, on my manual mill. Used a main cap for a holding fixture- one end of insert resting against a fence, a bolt & washer clamping the other end of the insert in place (both out of the way of the groove to be cut).  Ground a round-nose tool bit to swing in an offset boring head. The main cap is clamped in place, for repetitive cutting of the other inserts. Worked out fine. Those main prices would make the effort well worth it in your case.

Jack,

Thanks for the idea!!   We may do just that to save a few bucks.   The decision will be up to Chris.   I have modified bearings before, so I do not have a problem with it.

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5429 on: December 16, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »

Did we mention we're reworking the oiling system, and we'll need 2 sets to get grooved bearings on both the top and the bottom of the journals?

It's starting to cut into my beer money . . .  :cry:

midget,

See my posting above.   Perhaps 1/2 your beer budget can be saved for:   ingestion . . . . . .  OR,  other important engine parts . . . . . . .

Venture forth to beneath the cheddar curtain, to where the kegerator is filled and the Force is embraced . . . . .  etc, etc, etc . . . . . . .    Bring your lightsaber . . . . . .

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
drinkyboy