Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255328 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5385 on: November 08, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
Woody, I'm reposting this here.

Last year, Jacque Vizard, the daughter of David Vizard, died due to untreated depression.

To those outside of the racing community, Mr. Vizard is not a household word, but for those who deal with maximizing horsepower, he's a legend.

One of his earliest published works on maximizing horsepower dealt directly with the A-Series BMC engine - and anyone familiar with this diary is aware of his theories and research.   

Woody introduced us two years ago.  His book and his guidance through our few meetings were critical to our success. Late last year, David honored me with his autograph in the very book that was my constant companion for years.

In order to raise funds to build a memorial to Jacque, David has taken one of her engines - yes, Jacque was an engine builder as well, and a damned good one, from what I gather - rebuilt it, and it is being offered up for sale. I encourage you to check out this spectacular 302 Ford engine. Not only is it a touching memorial to a lost daughter, it will undoubtedly be an incredibly strong small block Ford.

I'm posting this [verbatim] for my friend David Vizard.

Attached is a photo of the re-built engine that my daughter Jacque built the long block for primarily to test cylinder heads for my SB Ford book.  After the testing was done she used much of the short block to re-build the engine for the 1969 Boss 302 Mustang she was to race for car owner Thad Cook. I did not want to rebuild this engine in the form of the race engine for at 525 hp I was concerned about its life and the point of using it as a memorial was that it would last a long time hence the rebuild in a lower output form previous to that.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you and all others concerned for the contributions toward making this happen. Rebuilding this engine has repeatedly taken me back to the times when Jacque and I would work in the shop together. Times that will never be again.

When news of Jacque’s passing spread the amount of response my wife Josephine and I received was overwhelming. We had many suggestions that we should organize something and in some way memorialize her. The re-building of this engine is just the start of this and the way it is being done is the sum of all the best idea’s sent to us by so many well-wishers worldwide.

The plan with this engine is to sell it to someone who has a nice 1969 Mustang that will be well maintained as a show car as much as anything. Failing that the installation into a nice Fox bodied Mustang would also work. The asking price of the engine is $6850 which is less than the cost of the parts. The proceeds from this will go toward the construction of the memorial on the site where Jacque passed.  This is in a very secluded scenic spot in the woods of a local land owner who has graciously allowed us to dedicate and develop this location in Jacque’s memory. 

Selling this engine is critical to the start of the memorial site development. If you can use your social media to make it known that this engine is available I am sure that would of help. It is being advertised on Terry Walters Engines site at   http://www.twperformanceparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_90&product_id=5538 where a full technical spec of the engine is given. It is also advertised on EBay at:- http://www.ebay.com/itm/121806099595 Also more on the drive to bring about the construction of the memorial site is on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DavidVizardAuto and https://www.facebook.com/david.vizard.56.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5386 on: November 09, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
The motor looks great and without doubt should go to a good home.
RIP Jacque. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5387 on: November 13, 2015, 07:22:43 AM »
No parent should have to suffer the loss of a child . . . . . . . . . no matter the reason.

My sincere sympathies to David & Josephine.

"Quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur."

Mark
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5388 on: November 13, 2015, 07:49:56 AM »
The reality of used parts . . . . .

midget,

Took the block and barrels for the 'K' to T&T yesterday.

Bead blasted the corrosion off the barrels.    I tried using their soda blaster to remove the corrosion from the block, but alas, no luck because there was a "goo" combined with the corrosion.    I suspect the "goo" was the remains of a bead of "Hylomar", used as a sealant, at the corner of the barrel/block intersection.

I ended up using their bead blaster to remove the "goo" and corrosion.

The sealing surface of both the block and the barrels is badly corroded.    The block might need to be re-machined, and/or new barrels used.    Or some serious sealant will need to be utilized.    You will need to look at this and judge for yourself.

Now that the parts are cleaned up, some of the barrels are a "slip fit" into the block at room temperature, because of "some" clearance.    Others are tight enough to require a bit of heat.   We might want to mike the sizes and use a dial bore gauge to determine the clearance/interference of the fit.

While I was blasting, I also bead blasted the corrosion off the exterior of the oil pan.    All the parts were blown off with compressed air, then washed with hot water, and compressed air blasted again.     Just a preliminary cleaning, but clean enough to take some measurements and do some trial fits.

Might try to post some pictures later, but you are going to have to travel beneath the "cheddar curtain" for a meaningful, personal inspection of the bits.

"Uncharted territory is a bitch."    Reputedly attributed to Sir Ernest Shackleton . . . . . . .

:cheers:
Silicasuckingboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5389 on: November 13, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Thanks, Mark.

One of my favorite hardware stores closed up - National Hardware - which was the last "downtown" hardware store in Milwaukee.  They'd been there for 65 years, and had literally hundreds of precision tools stashed away that they were clearing out.  Before Grainger came to town, they had a lot of machine shop accounts.

So I now have a pretty decent bore gauge, quasi vintage, with a nice felt lined wooden case, which I picked up for pennies on the dollar, in anticipation of just such an emergency.

I'm looking at Grummy's idea, and wondering if we can build up enough copper to produce a press fit?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5390 on: November 14, 2015, 08:40:58 AM »
Great - albeit too short of a visit yesterday with Mike Dale, Senior Writer and author of the column, "Eye on Electronics" for Motor Information Systems.  

http://www.motor.com/index.asp

It's not every day you talk to someone who just picked up a tube AM/short-wave radio for a 300SL Gullwing that he's in the process of restoring.  In this day of throwaway electronics, seeing the craftsmanship that went into building a car radio 60 years ago is both heartening and sad.  The Benz radio will live on - I doubt in 2075, anyone will be marveling over a Clarion Bluetooth receiver.

Mike lives in Oshkosh, and is a friend of Tom Hoagland, a builder in Michigan who specializes in Rover V8 conversions -

http://www.britishv8.org/sponsors/richland-motor-cars.htm

I'm particularly impressed with Tom's Jag IRS conversions for MGBs.

Anyway, Mike dropped off the MGB engine I swapped the Buick V8's for, and he will be back next weekend to pick up the aluminum engines, which he is running out to Tom.

He didn't grab the aluminum engines because he's a deer hunter, and had his kit in the truck.  Far be it from me to discourage anyone from knocking down the Whitetail population in this state.  You gut a deer in Wisconsin, and you'll find more corn than in some silos - it's completely out of control.

I don't hunt - wasn't born to it and I don't trust my aim, but I'll sure cook up any venison that ends up in my freezer.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:02:58 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #5391 on: November 14, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
The Benz radio will live on - I doubt in 2075, anyone will be marveling over a Clarion Bluetooth receiver.

By then, it's likely someone will need their own transmitter to have any AM tunes to listen to.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5392 on: November 14, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
Chris;

I think those Gullwings came from MB equipped with Becker "Mexico" radios. Not bad for their day.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5393 on: November 22, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
4-barrel Mike has always got my back - and thanks to Mike, my Christmas shopping is done . . .

https://teespring.com/mg-ugly-christmas-sweater

Online salt27

« Reply #5394 on: November 22, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
Too bad it's not available in the correct shade of green but I guess that wouldn't be very Christmasee.   :-D
If it's out there 4-barrel Mike will find it, that's for sure.   :cheers: 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5395 on: November 22, 2015, 12:59:58 PM »

If it's out there 4-barrel Mike will find it, that's for sure.   :cheers: 

Oh, it's out there, all right . . . WAY out there!  :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5396 on: November 25, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
4-barrel Mike has always got my back - and thanks to Mike, my Christmas shopping is done . . .

https://teespring.com/mg-ugly-christmas-sweater

The perfect gift for the Mini-Maven!!

It looks like an MGB-GT.     I guess he will need to repaint his MGB-GT V8 to match . . . . . . .   :roll:

:cheers:
I'dregiftitboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5397 on: November 25, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
midget,      (hope I got the colour correct . . . . .)

Thanks for the visit and the brews!!!

Here's the answer to the Rover sleeve problem:

http://www.darton-international.com/midinfo.html

We will need to visit with them at PRI.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5398 on: December 07, 2015, 01:48:37 AM »
... Every piston I have ever seen from Diamond has been "monstrously" heavy.    I am currently trying to get one of my vintage clients to change from Diamond to JE... The Diamonds are cheap though...
Sorry to dig so far back into this thread. But in general I respect what FordBoy posts; which left me very puzzled by this response to my selection of Diamond for custom billet pistons. Reading tonight about Dutweiler's continued use of Diamond pistons in Speed Demon engines reminded me of this puzzling statement. Was FordBoy being sarcastic? If not, I'll try some sarcasm of my own- maybe he should try to get Kenny to "change from Diamond to JE". :roll:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5399 on: December 07, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
Why would anyone change to JE?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing