Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255187 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5310 on: September 12, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »
Not cool but hey I don't know ground hogs :cry:

Mike, No, no, no, no, no . . .

That is red food coloring in the snow - a bit of comic relief pointed at my disgust with one of the coldest damned winters I ever lived through.

I think it may be a North American thing, this Groundhog Day.

But my picture post may have provoked "Jimmy", the Sun Prairie, Wisconsin meteorological mammal into retaliation last February . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88kK9E2pr-c

Either way, I declare a truce between myself and all outdoor rodentia.

Indoor rodents, however, have Kate's cats to make peace with.  Good luck with THAT!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5311 on: September 13, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
I have more of a "red mist" relationship with ground hogs. 55 gr. ballistic point at around 3200 fps. We don't have them in CA but I have a good friend in PA and when I visit we go into "ground hog elimination" mode.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5312 on: September 13, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »
But we have ground squirrels. Sounds like your recipe would work just as well on them.

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5314 on: September 15, 2015, 12:03:23 AM »
Meah, guns.  Too dangerous, and my aim's not that good.  No, I prefer the visceral adrenaline rush of a large can of whoopass being opened up with hickory handled garden spade or a Louisville Slugger. You can't accidentally beat a gopher to death with a hoe, and it draws less attention from the neighbors.

Anyway, enough Quentin Tarantino.

midget,

Hate to ask, but what is the status of "Lazarus from Dodge City" . . . . . . .

:cheers:
Fordboy

Here's the story - it's ugly.

Two weeks ago, my Magnum RT, which had been suffering from a wobbly front end and an intermittent ABS warning light issue, decided to go into "Limp Home" mode.  Between the rusting right front fender, bad tone rings on the rear axles, the rear speed sensors, a code indicating a transmission speed sensor issue, an unaddressed transmission wiring harness service bulletin and the likelihood that in order to get the thing back on the road, we would be replacing rear hubs, brakes, and pulling the transmission, I determined that my time with my Mopar had come to an end.

It pulled the Midget to Maxton once, and to Bonneville three times.  It hauled me back and forth to work for 5 years, made trips to Indy twice, Iowa countless times, Detroit, Wilmington - it did everything I asked of it.

It's got 153,000 miles on it, it's 10 years old, and I simply can't justify putting the money into it anymore.  It's had 4 front end jobs, for pity's sake!

And to be truthful, I liked the idea of the car much more than I ever liked the car.

A fellow with more patience than I will now have the honor of rebuilding the Magnum.  I received cash, he received title, keys and my undying gratitude.

So I made a deal on a low mileage 2001 F-150.  New clutch, new brakes, recent tires, the air and cruise work, it's a 5 speed stick with the 4.2 V6, CLEAN interior, bed liner, tow package, short bed, fits into the garage, and it's just in a heck-of-a-lot nicer shape than the Magnum.

Certainly not as authoritative a tow vehicle, but the Midget and trailer combined weighs in at 2,500, so I don't think I'll be pulling the guts out of it.

I picked it up for less than the repair estimate on the Magnum.  I'll have it Saturday.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5315 on: September 15, 2015, 02:37:10 AM »
Way to go Chris.
Wish you all the best with the truck and welcome to the FORD family. :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5316 on: September 15, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
Meah, guns.  Too dangerous, and my aim's not that good.  No, I prefer the visceral adrenaline rush of a large can of whoopass being opened up with hickory handled garden spade or a Louisville Slugger. You can't accidentally beat a gopher to death with a hoe, and it draws less attention from the neighbors.

Anyway, enough Quentin Tarantino.

midget,

Hate to ask, but what is the status of "Lazarus from Dodge City" . . . . . . .

Fordboy

Here's the story - it's ugly.

Two weeks ago, my Magnum RT, which had been suffering from a wobbly front end and an intermittent ABS warning light issue, decided to go into "Limp Home" mode.  Between the rusting right front fender, bad tone rings on the rear axles, the rear speed sensors, a code indicating a transmission speed sensor issue, an unaddressed transmission wiring harness service bulletin and the likelihood that in order to get the thing back on the road, we would be replacing rear hubs, brakes, and pulling the transmission, I determined that my time with my Mopar had come to an end.

It pulled the Midget to Maxton once, and to Bonneville three times.  It hauled me back and forth to work for 5 years, made trips to Indy twice, Iowa countless times, Detroit, Wilmington - it did everything I asked of it.

It's got 153,000 miles on it, it's 10 years old, and I simply can't justify putting the money into it anymore.  It's had 4 front end jobs, for pity's sake!

And to be truthful, I liked the idea of the car much more than I ever liked the car.

A fellow with more patience than I will now have the honor of rebuilding the Magnum.  I received cash, he received title, keys and my undying gratitude.

So I made a deal on a low mileage 2001 F-150.  New clutch, new brakes, recent tires, the air and cruise work, it's a 5 speed stick with the 4.2 V6, CLEAN interior, bed liner, tow package, short bed, fits into the garage, and it's just in a heck-of-a-lot nicer shape than the Magnum.

Certainly not as authoritative a tow vehicle, but the Midget and trailer combined weighs in at 2,500, so I don't think I'll be pulling the guts out of it.

I picked it up for less than the repair estimate on the Magnum.  I'll have it Saturday.

midget,

Inquiring minds want to know . . . . . .   and

You skipped listing the important optional equipment it may have!!

For instance:

Did it come equipped with a gun rack?

'cause you just never know when the zombie rodents of Beerhaven might begin their attack . . . . .

I just can't tolerate the thought that you might be left defenseless because of pis* poor planning . . . . . . .

Oh wait . . . . you race an MG . . . . . . .

NEVERMIND

EmilyLittellaboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5317 on: September 15, 2015, 07:03:18 AM »
Slim,

I'm at the point where finding creative ways to "fake out" the site's "auto-correcting" feature for various words is becoming tedious.    :dhorse:

Methinks that some of the words included on "the list" are rather innocuous.    Am I alone in this idea?

Or is the thinking that any transgression leads down the slippery slope to the loss of civility?

:?

Perhaps we are not all adults here . . . . .   :wink:

NEVERMIND

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Opposedtocensorshipboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5318 on: September 15, 2015, 07:05:41 AM »
And now, back to fermented beverage reviews, truck talk and what passes for science on the:

Urban Rodent Elimination Idea Board.

Notallthatkeenaboutrodentsboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5319 on: September 15, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
And now, back to fermented beverage reviews, truck talk and what passes for science on the:

Urban Rodent Elimination Idea Board.

Notallthatkeenaboutrodentsboy

Fordboy -

Yeah, yeah, yeah - we're done talking rodents.

I've got some numbers for you . . .

12>6

72 degrees at game time.

:-D

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5320 on: October 15, 2015, 07:37:59 AM »
Well OK then.

Since the "Urban Rodent Elimination Idea Board" hasn't proliferated, I guess it's up to me to keep this thread going while the midget, enthralled by the success of his beloved Cubs, continues his search for the perfect gun rack for his new ride.

Preparation for the "Intermingling of the species".    Chris ordered a square of plastic to be machined to offer up for the dummy spacer between the Rover engine and the existing gearbox.

The differing species:

The polycarbonate interface.

Another view of the polycarbonate interface.

I offered to transport all the various bits over to Deerfield for machining.    More when the "mating" is "completed".

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5321 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
While on the way home from a foray into the wilds of "Hoosierland" we stopped for a small pilgrimage at the shrine of all things fermented.

Some things just can not be explained in scientific terms . . . . . . . .   and can only be obtained at the brewery . . . . . . . . .

YUM . . . . . .

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Tastyfermentedbeverageconsumerboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5322 on: October 15, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »
midget,

Ahhhh,

You didn't by any chance put $100.00 on your beloved Cubbies, when the odds were 150/1 to win the World Series this spring, did you?

Latest Vegas odds have the Cubs as the favorite to win it all.

The world may be ending after all . . . . . . . . . .      Oh wait, I think the world ends after the Cubs win a Cubs Vs Red Sox World Series . . . . . . . .  Sooo, not this year.

NEVERMIND,
. . . . . . .    probably . . . . . . . . .

Justwonderin'boy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5323 on: October 15, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »
  Oh wait, I think the world ends after the Cubs win a Cubs Vs Red Sox World Series . . . . . . . .  Sooo, not this year.

I don't think Theo Epstein is permitted to be the general manager for both teams . . .

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5324 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »
Good point, Mark.  Maybe I'll look into the curse word filter and see if it needs an update.  Maybe change the words from car brands to - HEY!  How 'bout brands of beers!!!?????? :roll:

Oh - you meant that you'd suggest a review of the curse words themselves, hey?  Unh, maybe later today when I'm at Kudzu* and bored with the internet.  Can't do it now -- listening to a tune on the 12-string by Leo Kottke.  And before that was -- ready for this, old timers?  I played "Fresh Air" by Quicksilver Messenger Service.  Anyone else remember the tune?  Pretty music -- but geez, nearly 50 years old, right?

*  Familiar moniker for Kudos Laser.

Edit:  Maybe I shouldn't have mention Quicksilver.  I don't want you to think that I'm really old or anything.  Yeah, I know.  right now it's "Here Comes The Night" by Them featuring Van Morrison.  Not that it's old -- but Morrison before he soloed?  Hey, that's old stuff.

PS  We listen to streaming radio on the internet, and this morning it's farkled so listening to our mix of music from CDs and even vinyl albums.  Kids -- ask your grandparents if you don't know much about vinyl.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:40:57 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com