Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255388 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5250 on: August 01, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »
Anyone that wants to put bigger cubes in a small light car is ok by me!
BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5251 on: August 02, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
midget,

Aaahhh, not that you need more projects, BUT,

Wouldn't your MGB (or that one you have been promising Kate . . . . . . . . . . . .   :roll:) be a good home for one of those other Buick engines?

With the engine stock you have on hand, you almost could have a complete set of Leyland cars powered by V-8 Buicks . . . . .    Frogeye, MGB, only a street Spridget missing from the set.    HEY, AND IF YOU WERE REALLY AMBITUOUS, a Buick powered . . . . . . . (wait for it) . . . . . . . MINI!!!!!!!!!!!   Or Moke, or Panel van, or, or, or, or . . . . . . . .

Sorry, my mind was just wandering there for a moment . . . . . . .

I blame the beer . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Adhdboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5252 on: August 02, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »

...  Sorry, my mind was just wandering there for a moment . . . . . . .

Adhdboy

Beer is not the cause.... it is a solution....  :roll:
Oh damn Jerry, I should have saved that for Friday  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5253 on: August 02, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »

...  Sorry, my mind was just wandering there for a moment . . . . . . .

Adhdboy

Beer is not the cause.... it is a solution....  :roll:
Oh Dodge Jerry, I should have saved that for Friday  :cheers:

And if a solution is insufficient, sometimes solvent is the key.

Speaking of which, I did partake in a VERY tasty Gin - a gift from Goggs - Made by MGC.

Very appropriate moniker in the offices of the Pommy Pigmy Playhouse.

So last night, I made myself an MGC-GT - a Melbourne Gin Company Gin and Tonic.

Seems the Prince of Wales likes them as well . . .

http://www.mgexp.com/article/mgb/mg-new-golden-era/prince-charles-1969-mgc-gt-wales.jpg

No, Mark, it's time to concentrate on the K for now.

I haven't had any luck moving the other GM blocks - I'll likely hold onto the Olds, which will SOMEDAY end up in either the B or possibly a Morris Minor Ute/Van, but the other Buick is taking up space I would rather dedicate to elbow room.

Mark, as per your suggestion, I did get the Grenade posted in Race Cars dot com.  Mr. Selby's site wasn't drawing any interest, so I dropped the price and added an OBO option.

http://race-cars.com/engsales/other/1438141980/1438141980ss.htm

It's such an oddball, it wouldn't surprise me if I were stuck with it, in which case I might put on a lower compression head and a Moss supercharger kit and find another Spridget to stuff it into.  With a milder cam, and a supercharger, I'd probably get enough torque out of it to make for a snappy little street car.

But I would rather sell it.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5254 on: August 04, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »
Your ad for the "Grenade" has had 519 views already, in less than 2 days.

Keep the faith buddy.     There are classes for 1 liter in Europe and both places down under.    Aussies, Kiwis, and Europeans check that site for available bits all the time.

And it is the perfect engine for a 1000cc, alloy body, Sebring Sprite "knock-off".

Although, I've heard that: "It just isn't done" . . . . . . . . . .   :roll:

:cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5255 on: August 10, 2015, 08:01:54 PM »
midget,

Spent some time today final prepping for cylinder head flow work tomorrow.   It took the whole dang morning to rout the slots in the 'slider plate'.    But now, no dang quick clamps to mess with for every cylinder.    Will post some pics of the setup, from my phone camera, later.

See you tomorrow.

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5256 on: August 10, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
midget,

Also:   Did a quick and 'dirty' measurement of the tappet ID.   Looks like a 9/32 retainer assembly WILL fit under the stock tappet.    So the stock stem diameter Cosworth valves look to be able to be fitted.   Still need to check out installed height for a suitable 1.187 OD valve spring . . . . . . . . .   Needless to say, lack of a suitable spring quashes the whole deal.

One other concern I have is: .279" stem diameter Vs. .235" stem diameter is an 18.7% increase in cross sectional area.    Will need to test one cylinder to be certain that low lift flow is not affected by the increase in stem diameter.

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5257 on: August 12, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
midget,

A quick check of the REC valves size chart shows several offerings with 6mm (.235") diameter stems.    I suspect they are all bike or 4 valve engines.

Could not find out the applications without extended research, and I want to post up a bunch of photos, etc, from the recent work on the slider adaptor, AND, the results of yesterdays flow testing.

So, for now, you are on your own about trying to find some alternative valve shapes with 6mm stems.

I will call the centerless grinding guys about grinding other valves down to 6mm stem dia, just not today, too much to do to keep the queen happy . . . . . . . . . . . .

Jesterboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5258 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »
Mark, I spent quite a bit of time last night combing through APE's catalog and other sources.  Seems most of the bike stuff is at 4, 4.5, and 5mm stems, which means simply getting 2 each for test purposes is less feasible, in that we'd need to do something with the valve guides.

The closest head sizes were for Honda, all with 4 mm stems.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5259 on: August 12, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »
midget,

The centerless grinding company I used to use, phone quoted a whopping $250.00 to grind 4 valve stems from .279" diameter to .235" diameter.    Then, CNC re-profiling of the valve heads would be on top of that . . . . . . .

I have to guess that the quote is the "We don't want to do this." price.

Drilling and reaming/honing the valve guides out to .279" diameter is looking better & better . . . . . . . . .       Until we find out the tooling prices for that . . . . . . . .   :|

Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5260 on: August 12, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
midget,

The centerless grinding company I used to use, phone quoted a whopping $250.00 to grind 4 valve stems from .279" diameter to .235" diameter.    Then, CNC re-profiling of the valve heads would be on top of that . . . . . . .

I have to guess that the quote is the "We don't want to do this." price.

Drilling and reaming/honing the valve guides out to .279" diameter is looking better & better . . . . . . . . .       Until we find out the tooling prices for that . . . . . . . .   :|

Fordboy

Every now and then, when Kate and I are having a disagreement - and I can say that in all the years we've been together, we've never had an "argument" (true fact) - when we've come to the point when a decision is to be made, we both reserve the right to say one word, and the subject will be dropped.

It's only happened a couple of times, and our mutual respect for each other and that decision making process has been a cornerstone of our continued success as a couple.

That one word is - VETO.

$250.00 is a lot of beer.   :wink:

Mark, thank you for investigating the cost analysis of this potential avenue, but at this point, I'm going to stand firm and announce veto.

I've got an e-mail off to REC.

As much as I'd like to do some more testing, the flows we saw yesterday were sufficient to the task, and it's clear that some gains can be made with some mild porting.  Additionally, the 55 degree experimental back cut we did to the stock valves gave us a direction for valve shape, and provided the faces aren't dished and we can get a wasted stem, I'm of the mind that we'll go with the REC valves. 

Are we being as thorough as we could be?  No.  Are we risking not maximizing head flow?  Possibly.   But given the numbers the stock K head gave compared to the ported Longman, we're far enough ahead of the game to risk suffering the consequences.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5261 on: August 12, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
I buy reamers all the time sized by the half thousandth. They don't cost much. Finish honing shouldn't be bad either. Go for it.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5262 on: August 12, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
I buy reamers all the time sized by the half thousandth. They don't cost much. Finish honing shouldn't be bad either. Go for it.

Rich, I believe you are right in that assessment, but that takes us in the wrong direction.  

Mark will be posting up some pictures and numbers later, but right now, the obstructions in the K head are where the port diverges to the valve pockets, the guide bosses and the valve stem.  The short turn radius could use a little work as well.

Still gathering information, chief!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:26:48 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5263 on: August 12, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
I have seen several valves that have "Wasp wasted" stems in the valve pocket. Not to sure I would want to tackle that. But I guess a brave soul could just have the stem undercut and valve blended  without doing the rest of the stem.

Offline Podunk

« Reply #5264 on: August 12, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
A couple years ago my grandson, Carl, and I stopped at Kenny Kouth's shop on the way home from Speedweek. Kenny taught me how to use ceramic lathe inserts on hardened steel. contouring valves sounds like fun on my newer cnc lathe. After your finishing my Bugeye I'd be happy to help.
Terry