Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255226 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5205 on: July 11, 2015, 10:01:56 PM »
That's a CAD sketch rather than an engineering drawing. The guy who did the sketch will be doing the work so he doesn't need anything more. In photography we call what you guys are doing pixel peeping. What you're complaining about just doesn't matter so long as the fabricator understands what's meant by the drawing. RELAX everyone. RANT ENDED.  :roll: :roll: :roll: :-D :-D

Pete

Bye the way I think it's a rather neat CAD sketch.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

P.J.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:03:52 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #5206 on: July 11, 2015, 11:39:10 PM »
Another curiosity about the drawing is that the hole patterns that correspond to the 5/16” screws are about 0.020” offset from the centerline.  These holes look awfully like they should be symmetrical about the centerline, not offset.  Is the block or tranny actually offset?  If not, is the driveline going to appreciate being in a bind?
Not to mention the variances in their elevations.

So the question arises, is the part defined by the drawing or "the guy doing the work"?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5207 on: July 12, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »
IO, I think . . . think . . . I know what you're saying.

The engine has a slight bit of layover built into the design.  As a prototype, we're going to attempt to put the engine in straight up to allow us more room on the driver's side for exhaust.

The K exhausts from the left.  In Great Britain, where most of the Midget/K-series swaps are performed, the steering is on the right hand side, which makes the swap pretty easy.   If it will go in straight up, we'll have more room for exhaust routing with our left hand drive parameter.

The K was designed for FWD applications, which would likely have a bearing on bell housing mounting points with respect to casting parameters for engine mounting.

So if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, to answer the question, "is the part defined by the drawing or 'the guy doing the work'?", and seeing as I wasn't present when Mike performed the work, my most concise and accurate positive response would probably be "yes, I think so".   :-D

And to make it even goofier, this plate also bolts up to a Chevy bell in order to dyno, but before the engine goes in, the ears will likely have to be trimmed in order to clear the engine bay.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5208 on: July 12, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »
midget, et all,

I think the default dimensioning value is set at 2 decimal places on Mike's CAD software.

I know his hand sketch is to three decimal places using the digital positioning on his vertical mill.

And yes, as odd as it seems, all the BMC blocks and transmissions I've measured up are offset by .018"/.021".     I "don't get it" either.   There does not appear to be any reason for the offset.

The dimensions are set up on differing "layers" of the electronic "drawing" so that any necessary "layover" can be easily implemented by "rotation by degree" and the changed dimensions of the "features" can be pulled of the datum point.

This is the "first look" drawing, just the beginning of the plan.    It is basically getting all the info on one sheet of paper for planning purposes.     I'm sure there will be some revisions and modifications as we move forward, there always are . . . . . . . .

At this point, we just want to set if the new dog will fit in the old kennel . . . . . . . .

TTFN
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5209 on: July 12, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
Most machinists don't understand (paraphrasing an old USAF TO I was intimately familiar with) "no tolerance is given, the technician should achieve the values to the best of his ability" ... they want to know how far they can miss and still be usable.
My old mill is good to about a thou or so... and I would bet that would be close enough for working on British junk that probably struggles to be that repeatable. 
My guess is that more racers run on eyeball engineering that CNC

Nice drawing... it could be built with that and a file...  :roll: the metal type, not the computer   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5210 on: July 13, 2015, 10:06:19 PM »
Welcome to Wisconsin . . .

So now we know there is a portal north of the Cheddar Curtain, and it’s right up the street from the Minhas Brewery, the second oldest in the US, in Monroe, Wisconsin.

Lovin’ that Huber Bock!

Fordboy mentioned that I was off fulfilling my “Rock & Roll Fantasies” .   It’s a rare gig we play that draws this kind of a crowd – probably about 1,500 folks on a warm Friday evening in the cheese covered, beer soaked, unglaciated driftless region of the state . . .

It’s a Rolling Stones tribute act we do, and the folks who booked us in Monroe, Wisconsin are huge fans – so much so that they commandeered the upper window of the Green County Courthouse to show a bit of love –

Every time I think I’m going to pack it in, we wind up with a gig like this, and I realize that selling off the guitar arsenal is probably not the best way to finance my LSR project.

Mark’s off the grid for a few days – but we’ll be seeing flow bench results very soon.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5211 on: July 13, 2015, 10:55:49 PM »
Keep on truckin', Chris.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5212 on: July 14, 2015, 12:14:48 AM »
Rock on...Chris :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5213 on: July 14, 2015, 10:08:42 AM »
I wanna be John, not Keith . . . . . . . .

Ooops, guess I shoulda played guitar, not bass . . . . . . .   So I could be Paul . . . . .   Oohh, wait, . . . . .  Paul is dead, or so I've heard.

:roll:
F/B

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

gkabbt

« Reply #5214 on: July 14, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
I remembered Chris used to play in a C/W band called Honky Tonkitis and I just found this on youtube:

I Hope I Don't Get the Clap Tonight!

I got a good chuckle!

Gregg
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:54:23 AM by gkabbt »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5215 on: July 14, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »
The Clap?!?!!

HEY, that's treatable.

Folding all 5' 17" of yourself into an 80" wheelbase salt racing door slammer . . . . . . . .

Ahhmm, uhhh, I'm thinkin' that's terminal.

Terminal velocity that is.
Fordboy

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5216 on: July 14, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
You said, Rimshotboy.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5217 on: July 18, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »
midget,

Sent an inquiry to G&S via email to find out if the REC valves are even available.     Will advise on the response.

:cheers:
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5218 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:47 AM »
midget,

Sent an inquiry to G&S via email to find out if the REC valves are even available.     Will advise on the response.

Fordboy

G&S responds that the valves are in stock at this time.   21.96 Brit pounds each currently.    Looks like a significant investment for additional flow testing with those shapes.

However, Andy is on Holiday, so my technical question about guides goes unanswered until his return later this week.

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5219 on: July 20, 2015, 06:42:16 PM »
midget,

Picked up the empty BMC trans case from Mike today.    We discussed the layout drawing for the adaptor plate, and, as I suspected, his hand written notes were to 3 decimal places.     He also confirmed that his CAD program is set to the default value of 2 decimal places, kinda weird for an ME, fine for an Architect.

Once I flow the head later this week, I'll pack up all the special 'K' bits I have at the ranch and smuggle them back across the "cheddar curtain" to Beerhaven.  Everything can then be in one place for an offering to the racing (read that Beer) gods . . . . . . . :wink:

Fordboy