Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255084 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5175 on: July 02, 2015, 10:32:01 AM »
midget,

OK, just ran out to the garage to check the valve seat ODs on the head.

Quick check with a metric caliper:

Int:   29.5 OD
Ex:    26.0 OD

So the bottom line is: the oversize REC valves will fit the existing seats, as will the std size REC valves.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5176 on: July 05, 2015, 10:45:13 PM »
midget,

Took a quick look at the print from Wossner.

Couple of problems:
1)   22.5mm compression height.   In line with 1.6/1.8 liter engines.   Hurts us on rod length and rod stroke ratio.
2)   Dome volume of 10.7cc's.        Again, in line with 1.6/1.8 L engines and a compression ratio killer for us.
3)   18mm pin diameter.                Stock?   Can this be reduced?
4)   Narrow cavity for rod pin end.  Unspecified on print.

Is this carved in stone? (er, aluminum . . .) or is this a starting point?

Not trying to be a "Wendy whiner".    Just want to get what you need.
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5177 on: July 05, 2015, 11:01:45 PM »
midget,

Just a reminder for members of Sconnie Nation:

We are going to have to slice the "cheese" really thin on this project . . . . . . . . especially the reciprocating "cheese" . . . . .  :-D

Can you pitch sponsorship from Sargento?   Hell, they are based in Plymouth, WI.    Or used to be at least.

:cheers: :dhorse: :cheers:
Brieboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5178 on: July 06, 2015, 03:44:16 AM »
Huge thank to John Noonan who got us the print on the piston.

The component listed in the catalog is a discontinued item.  Seems nobody wants to race a 1.4 when a 1.8 is readily available, and I'm the only nitwit who thinks taking it to 1.0 from 1.4 is a good idea.

My thought process on this is by going through a supplier who already has the critical dimensions and angles in a CAD file, we can go through their catalog and find an appropriately sized forging from a different application, tweak the dimensions, and have them produce the piston to our modified spec based on their existing files.

I'll spend some time with the drawing tomorrow. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5179 on: July 06, 2015, 12:55:56 PM »
Huge thank to John Noonan who got us the print on the piston.

The component listed in the catalog is a discontinued item.  Seems nobody wants to race a 1.4 when a 1.8 is readily available, and I'm the only nitwit who thinks taking it to 1.0 from 1.4 is a good idea.

My thought process on this is by going through a supplier who already has the critical dimensions and angles in a CAD file, we can go through their catalog and find an appropriately sized forging from a different application, tweak the dimensions, and have them produce the piston to our modified spec based on their existing files.

I'll spend some time with the drawing tomorrow. 

midget,

If this can be the starting point with some changes for a 1 liter specific part, that could work out very nicely.  It would be nice to not have to mill the head further . . . . . .
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5180 on: July 07, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »
midget,

Dropped off the trans case and Chevy bellhousing print with Mike H. yesterday.     I did NOT have a drawing of the gearbox attachment bolt pattern.

Mike and I took a quick look at the hole pattern of the trans case Vs the bolt hole pattern of the stock intermediate plate.   Uhhhmm, typical Mowog quality on the intermediate plate, so Mike is going to pull the pattern off the gear case.   :-)

He will add this info to the Rover pattern and produce another print.    At that point he can knock out a mock-up adaptor out of mdf.    No doubt the threaded holes will need to be "hardened" with epoxy for the fit up.

If we are a bit clever about this, we might be able to sneak multiple lay over angles on to the mock-up adaptor, just to try out the fit.    I know the Brit street conversions are all @ the stock 12 degree lay over to accommodate the wet sump.    I just thinking that straight up or a lesser angle will give more room for the header and steering . . . . . .    :-)

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5181 on: July 07, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
Also,

Got the neoprene gasket for the flow test slider made yesterday.   Too bad neoprene won't work in the engine . . . . . . . . .

Another step closer . . . . . .   :wink:

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5182 on: July 07, 2015, 11:05:56 AM »

I also took the lifters out, filled 'em with oil and back primed the block a little bit.  With the remote filter, I should be able to give it a solid oil prime before I turn it over.

35 years this thing's been sitting assembled???  You did a really good job on oiling up the bores.  No corrosion whatsoever.

I have a GM (Chevy) oil pump priming rod for use with an electric drill if you want to borrow it . . . . . .  and if it will work for the app.

Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5183 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:45 PM »
Also,

Got the neoprene gasket for the flow test slider made yesterday.   Too bad neoprene won't work in the engine . . . . . . . . .

Fordboy

Actually, I was thinking we could get the long bolts made out of neoprene to increase the clamping pressure . . .  :|

Offline salt27

« Reply #5184 on: July 07, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
Also,

Fordboy

Actually, I was thinking we could get the long bolts made out of neoprene to increase the clamping pressure . . .  :|

Careful with that, the increased hardness of the neoprene may gull the threads in the block.   :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5185 on: July 07, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »
Also,

Fordboy

Careful with that, the increased hardness of the neoprene may gull the threads in the block.   :roll:

Hmmm . . . good point, Don . . .

Maybe I can source some 9 mm cork gaskets from a plumbing supply house . . .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5186 on: July 08, 2015, 11:46:07 PM »
Well, SHAZAAM!

It's amazing what gets done when you spend a month and a half with your pants around your ankles buried in other distractions.

I remember last time I had Greg whip me up a crank, I was waiting and worrying and tearing my hair out, and it seemed to take forever.

But now he's calling me and bitching that I need to get him dimensions in order to finish!

His e-mail to me read as follows . . .

"Chris,  This is as light as I can make it with the info that I have.     Greg"

And as usual, the work looks excellent . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5187 on: July 09, 2015, 09:04:22 AM »
Well, SHAZAAM!

It's amazing what gets done when you spend a month and a half with your pants around your ankles buried in other distractions.

I remember last time I had Greg whip me up a crank, I was waiting and worrying and tearing my hair out, and it seemed to take forever.

But now he's calling me and bitching that I need to get him dimensions in order to finish!

His e-mail to me read as follows . . .

"Chris,  This is as light as I can make it with the info that I have.     Greg"

And as usual, the work looks excellent . . .

Exxxccelllllennnntttt!

Let's put our heads together to get him what he needs . . . . . . .

Mr.Burnsboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5188 on: July 09, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
Any chance of scaring up some O/S O.D. valves from REC?   2 each minimum?

Flowbeeboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5189 on: July 09, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »
Not sure what this means, if anything, in the "Great Scheme of all things Chinese, er, MG . . . . . . .

midget,

Cylinder head casting number is verified to be LDF 106290

Which, according to the 'K' engine page, makes it a "late" 1.6/1.8 "high port" head, with 34mm inlet ports.

The port size I already verified.    And the high port head is considered to be the "better" performer for high output engines.

This leads me to believe, more strongly than ever, that very little porting will be required for the output levels we are seeking.

I think the only negative is the large size of the cylinder head's combustion space, which I already commented about.

Working on a "Honeydo" project to forestall divorce court . . . . . . .   :roll:

As soon as that's finished up, I'll fabricate the 2 valve opener adaptor, the dial indicator mounting adaptor and get on the flow bench.

Workin'fortheRedQueenboy