Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3270406 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4905 on: March 25, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »

Indeed the position of 10-12* before and after TDC are often quoted as the spot of closest P-V approach ( and I have seen a good engine building book suggest checking at 10*-only-) you have to check. My engine with high R/S ratio, big valve, high lift cam had closest P-V at 20 degrees. I checked at every 5 until I was sure where that occurred. If you rely on one "generally accepted" spot, I humbly suggest Mr Piston and Mr Valve may become closely acquainted. :cheers: :cry:

I use a dial indicator on the head, aligned with the spring retainer, with adequate travel to measure resulting V/P clearance.    I install a "light" spring on the valve.

For intake, I start checking at 5 degrees ATDC, then 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, etc; until the V/P begins to open up.   On cams with consistent flank motion, the clearance opens up because the piston accelerates away from TDC . . . . . hence my concerns about piston "dwell" . . . . .

For exhaust, I start checking @ 20 degrees BTDC, then 18, 16, 14, etc; again until the V/P opens up.

If you are expecting to have V/P clearances on the order of .100"/.120", by all means use clay or whatever.

On tiny engines I run considerably less clearance than that.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:46:43 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4906 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
If the kiss marks aren't too deep it's ok :-o
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4907 on: March 25, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »
If the kiss marks aren't too deep it's ok :-o

And if they are too deep, you'll know in short order.  :wink:

First iteration of the Grenade showed a bit of intimacy between the piston and the valves.  Then Mark made me buy real springs.

You've got a bit of latitude with a vertical overhead valve.  But on a pentroof, ne'er the twain shall meet.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4908 on: March 26, 2015, 02:01:33 AM »
... The Diamonds are cheap though...
$1,732 for four is "cheap"?

They aren't heavy because they're made by Diamond- they made exactly what I specified. The weight is due to two factors-
> The "ruggedness" I want for 4 HP/c.i. @ up to 10,000 RPM, about 32 PSI boost; full round skirt, etc.
> The compression ratio I want requires a huge dome- chambers are old-style hemi with valves at 60 degrees to each other.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:28:59 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4909 on: March 26, 2015, 02:14:37 AM »
... we're looking for RPM considerably higher than what Jack is looking at...
You talking to me?
I'm building it to make good power up to 10,000 RPM. That's not an arbitrary number. I competed with the V8 hemi Pontiac for many seasons to 9,000 RPM under load. So I'm just "tweaking" an engine design that I'm very experienced with. The DOHC setup will eliminate the heavy pushrod/rocker-arm arrangement of the V8, allowing more freedom of lobe selection, thus an extra 1,000 RPM is quite reasonable. How much "considerably higher" will you be running your engine?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4910 on: March 26, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
... we're looking for RPM considerably higher than what Jack is looking at...
You talking to me?
I'm building it to make good power up to 10,000 RPM. That's not an arbitrary number. I competed with the V8 hemi Pontiac for many seasons to 9,000 RPM under load. So I'm just "tweaking" an engine design that I'm very experienced with. The DOHC setup will eliminate the heavy pushrod/rocker-arm arrangement of the V8, allowing more freedom of lobe selection, thus an extra 1,000 RPM is quite reasonable. How much "considerably higher" will you be running your engine?

My mistake - I didn't think you were going high!  :oops:

We're limiting to 10,000, because that's all we need.

I don't see a reason yours shouldn't be capable of that, I just didn't think you needed to run past 8k to achieve the goal.

My bad - I wasn't paying attention.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4911 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »

Indeed the position of 10-12* before and after TDC are often quoted as the spot of closest P-V approach ( and I have seen a good engine building book suggest checking at 10*-only-) you have to check. My engine with high R/S ratio, big valve, high lift cam had closest P-V at 20 degrees. I checked at every 5 until I was sure where that occurred. If you rely on one "generally accepted" spot, I humbly suggest Mr Piston and Mr Valve may become closely acquainted. :cheers: :cry:

I use a dial indicator on the head, aligned with the spring retainer, with adequate travel to measure resulting V/P clearance.    I install a "light" spring on the valve.

For intake, I start checking at 5 degrees ATDC, then 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, etc; until the V/P begins to open up.   On cams with consistent flank motion, the clearance opens up because the piston accelerates away from TDC . . . . . hence my concerns about piston "dwell" . . . . .

For exhaust, I start checking @ 20 degrees BTDC, then 18, 16, 14, etc; again until the V/P opens up.

If you are expecting to have V/P clearances on the order of .100"/.120", by all means use clay or whatever.

Fordboy
Agree 100%- with one exception-I think it is better to measure these and related things with the springs you are running. With a DOHC direct tappet not so much perhaps but with a pushrod motor, there can be quite a bit of deflection in the valve train and for performance or clearance critical measurements, a light checking spring might fool you.  This makes things considerably more difficult particularly when dealing with springs with 400lbs on the seat... :-o. My combination might have liked a bit more cam advance than I ran but was limited by P-V clearance even with deep piston pockets (= CR compromise) and led me to range of .042-45" P-V and .032"deck clearance trying to get the performance. Pushing my luck there for sure.....

I will point out I hesitate a lot to disagree with FB about anything.... :roll: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4912 on: March 26, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »

Fordboy
Agree 100%- with one exception-I think it is better to measure these and related things with the springs you are running. With a DOHC direct tappet not so much perhaps but with a pushrod motor, there can be quite a bit of deflection in the valve train and for performance or clearance critical measurements, a light checking spring might fool you.  This makes things considerably more difficult particularly when dealing with springs with 400lbs on the seat... :-o. My combination might have liked a bit more cam advance than I ran but was limited by P-V clearance even with deep piston pockets (= CR compromise) and led me to range of .042-45" P-V and .032"deck clearance trying to get the performance. Pushing my luck there for sure.....

I will point out I hesitate a lot to disagree with FB about anything.... :roll: :cheers:

Yes, it is important to point out that high spring pressures can & do cause deflection in a pushrod valve train.    I've seen this a lot.    Can you use any sort of "stud girdle"?    Or are you using shaft mounted rockers already?

With DOHC, the valve train tends to be much "stiffer" and less "compliant" than a pushrod v/t, allowing ease of checking with a light spring.

Here are some numbers for thought.    As originally setup, the V/P clearance for the MM's BMC was .055" intake, and .070" exhaust, with adequate valve spring pressure.     On the dyno, we advanced the cam to .035" valve to piston clearance.    That would have increased exhaust clearance to .090"     No problem, either on the dyno, or out on the Salt.      Watch the video again if you think Chris "baby'ed" the "Grenade".

Remember that on intake opening, after your minimum clearance point, you can NOT open the valve as fast as the piston moves down the bore.    It is why on N/A engines, there is flow "demand" at that point.      Exhaust valves on the other hand, are being chased closed by the piston.     And the force to control that motion is decreasing at the same time.     Sort of a double whammy.     Any significant deviation from the motion required to maintain clearance between the parts, and BANGO, your day can get bad and expensive.    I tend to be more conservative on exhausts for clearance, say .065" minimum on small stuff, .080" on the bigs, but it's all about valve train mass . . . . . . . .

Thank you.    My main goal is to get everybody thinking about this stuff, (you know, enough to raise their brain temperature  :roll:), rather than guessing, and to initiate intelligent discussion about possible solutions to problems.

Now that I think about it, I'd prefer that guys think enough about things first, so that they can AVOID problems to begin with.
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4913 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:27 PM »
I want to qualify my prior comment- I am not disagreeing but just supplementing FB's statements. He was very kind in not blasting me..... :-D  need more :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4914 on: March 26, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
I don't consider my experiences to be "absolute".     My mindset is based, more or less, on my own experiences, and experiences I've been made aware of.    Although the "problems" of internal combustion engines can be "generalized", many situations are unique to a specific engine type/style.

If you have an experience that is different from mine, by all means, post about it.     I don't always think about every possible situation.     And I think that it is always interesting to learn about something new and/or different.

Thanks Jack, for taking the time to add your thoughts and experience.    Valve train deflection is an important issue on many engine types.

The world would be a boring place if everything was exactly the same.
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4915 on: March 28, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »
Rovermidge,

Total Seal lists low tension rings sets in 75.5mm bore diameter (2.973")

Original application is Honda Motorcycle.

Ring width packages of:   1.0; 1.2; 2.8     and also    1.0; 1.0; 2.0

I say go with the wider package.    Sets are available with the total seal ring on the top or second ring.

http://015ef8d.netsolhost.com/SearchByBore.aspx

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4916 on: March 28, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »
Just for grins I measured up the stock Rover piston ring widths:

top:   1.0
2nd:  1.2
oil:    2.0

Maybe the narrow oil ring? ? ?

F/B

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4917 on: March 29, 2015, 03:48:33 PM »
Well, hmmm . . .

Other than low drag, what needs to be considered?

We may be looking at a taller-than-ideal piston, given our fixed proportions.

Heat production is going to be concentrated in a smaller relative area of the bores than on a 1400.

I believe the current piston pins are offset.  Rockover considerations?

Sleeve stability?

I think about the early 850 pistons in the Morris Minors, which had really tall crowns and 5 rings.  Clearly not the preferred path, but as we'll likely need a taller-than-ideal crown height, which oil ring would give us the most bore protection?

The twin cam 1500 in Stirling Moss' MG special had tall pistons and 4 rings, but that was almost 60 years ago, and he was running supercharged on fuel.  Don't know what it tached out at.

I'm thinking the larger one would help draw off more heat.

:?

I guess I know what to think about, but I don't know how to think about it, or which aspect to think about first.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4918 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
I knew all along that the reason Fiat bought Chrysler was to get at the wealth of patents they hold . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJWGMapet8

. . . but it was clearly based on cold war aerospace development . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9LXG7rPQfE

. . . which has its roots in military development during World War II . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOV0v1Uq5CY

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4919 on: April 01, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
Chris, most folks don't know that the fore and aft perpetual saffoam kept these products from setting any records!  :-o :? :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz