Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255229 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4425 on: September 17, 2014, 11:44:37 PM »
I prefer shifting with my right hand. All the race cars I ever drove had right hand shift. I'm a pre paddle shift racer.
Chris, you guys all drive LHD so your only problem is packaging. With all that you've already achieved
the mod should be a breeze. :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4426 on: September 18, 2014, 12:38:56 AM »

Chris;

I built a Sable sports- racer and made it left- hand shift; it was no problem at all getting used to shifting with my left hand.

The photo of the exhaust routing through the tunnel looks like it puts lots of heat into the oil pan.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

I'm only driving three miles.  :-D

Plan BIG, Chris, have GREAT EXPECTATIONS!   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4427 on: September 18, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »

Plan BIG, Chris, have GREAT EXPECTATIONS!   :mrgreen:

Mike

Thanks, Mike, but it's got to be incremental. 

130, the way it was handling on the backup run?

I wouldn't do it, and I certainly wouldn't let anybody else driving it take the risk.

There will be more than just an engine swap, but there will be no roll cage testing.

I've got to get the suspension set up for bad salt - then we can take advantage of good salt.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4428 on: September 18, 2014, 01:44:30 AM »
You got composite rear springs like the previously ref'd (exhaust) Midget? (Would they help?)  Can you do similar front rollcage extensions?  How much flexing of the entire structure do you think you were getting at 120+?

Your wheelbase is shorter than most (all?  :-D ) roadsters, think about modifying for maximum straight.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4429 on: September 18, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

130, the way it was handling on the backup run?

I wouldn't do it, and I certainly wouldn't let anybody else driving it take the risk.

There will be more than just an engine swap, but there will be no roll cage testing.

I've got to get the suspension set up for bad salt - then we can take advantage of good salt.

When we find out where the bump steer/toe steer is now, there will be much wailing and tooth gnashing . . . . .

The Spridget front end geometry is known to have evil characteristics when the front end is lowered, and of course, in true British fashion, very little adjustability in the design.   Can't align your car after the crash sir?   Well I guess you need a new tub . . . . . .

This is why the road racing guys take the time to fabricate alternate suspension parts with heim joints and other adjustability designed in.   Check out the front suspension on a Huffaker Midget or Craig Chima's . . . . .   hmmmmm.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:59:26 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4430 on: September 18, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
What about a straight front axle?
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4431 on: September 18, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
What about a straight front axle?

Fordboy and I talked about that.

Personally, I like the idea, and if I had better welding skills and better fabrication equipment at my disposal, I'd be tempted to go in that direction.

But there are numerous ways of modifying a Midget front end that will get this handled.  There were so many mods brought to the chassis through SCCA and vintage racing setups that it's likely going to be a case of simply picking one and following through with it.

It may be as simple as having some offset steering arms machined out of billet - I'd have Podunk take care of that if we go in that direction - at which point, I'd likely relocate the rack and have the arms made longer to slow up the steering input.

I'm also not completely enamored with the airbags on the front, but those are a cheap change-out.

I'll be ripping the front fenders off this winter, and can really take a look at it then. 

gkabbt

« Reply #4432 on: September 20, 2014, 05:23:34 AM »
Enough about the future of the race car!

Looks like there's going to be a major crisis in Milwaukee for Mr. Midget in the near future!  :-o

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pabst-sold-russian-beverage-company-195910431.html   :cry:

What will happen to his beloved PBR?  :?     Will it be turned into some borscht swill?  :?

Stay tuned!  :-D
Gregg   :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4433 on: September 20, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »
Enough about the future of the race car!

Looks like there's going to be a major crisis in Milwaukee for Mr. Midget in the near future!  :-o

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pabst-sold-russian-beverage-company-195910431.html   :cry:

What will happen to his beloved PBR?  :?     Will it be turned into some borscht swill?  :?

Stay tuned!  :-D
Gregg   :cheers:

Pabst Russian Stout?

That poor brand has been slapped around like a hockey puck ever since Paul Kalmanovitz bought the brewery in 1985.

Randy Sprecher saw the writing on the wall, left Pabst in '84 and started one of the first microbreweries in the US.

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/index.php

The Sprecher Vienna Lager and Pub Ale's are among my favorites.  I think I've shared some of it with a few of you.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4434 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
Can this website software handle 4-digit page numbers?...
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

gkabbt

« Reply #4435 on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »

The Sprecher Vienna Lager and Pub Ale's are among my favorites.  I think I've shared some of it with a few of you.

My feelings are hurt!   :cry:   
Do I need to do another road trip up there to savor one (or several) of these with you and Mrs. Midget?  :-o  :roll:  :evil:  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4436 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »

My feelings are hurt!   :cry:   
Do I need to do another road trip up there to savor one (or several) of these with you and Mrs. Midget?  :-o  :roll:  :evil:  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg

Gregg - we'll get you covered.

My sister is looking at a part time job next year on the coast.  She teaches school during the rest of the year, but she's planning on a summer job in Nag's Head, and it occurs to me that a visit to Nashville - both of them - and Nag's Head might be in our trip plans for 2015.

So save some refrigerator space.  :cheers:

Chris

Offline Tman

« Reply #4437 on: September 21, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
Talk to Bleed. He can fab you a fine header.

gkabbt

« Reply #4438 on: September 21, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »
Chris, I don't care what you answered early to my post but I just LOVE your tag:

Bonneville I/GT record holder - 122.539 mph
:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

I was so fortunate to be there to see that happen!!!!!

Gregg

OK
We'll talk about your possible road trip later!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4439 on: September 21, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
Talk to Bleed. He can fab you a fine header.

Darned right, he can!

I intend to, but here's the deal with Midwest Fabrication.

They are SO DAMNED BUSY!

And that's great, because I want to see Bob and Jeff and the crew really make a go of it.

One of the reasons the fenders didn't get put back on the Midget until late in the game is that they were a back-burner project for Midwest Fabrication.  I agreed to that, and the work is excellent - but his focus is turning very solidly toward completed cars and frames.  Helping out buddies like me is much appreciated, but his business model would require anything I'd wind up bringing him to be a "back-burner" project.

A lot of it would depend upon his workload and how it will compare with my schedule.  I'd need to get the engine installed, run the whole car over to Bob's, have them make the header, retrieve the car, pull the engine, take it down to T&T for dyno work, and reinstall it.  If I can get an assurance of delivery from MF, ABSOLUTELY, I want them doing the work.  But I can't be sitting 4 weeks out with a dyno appointment, and Bob having a customer breathing down his neck to get a complete car finished.

And before we even buy the steel for it, we've got to get this engine modeled to determine appropriate pipe lengths, which will determine if we go with a tri-Y, a 4-into-1 - maybe even dual exhaust.

So Trent, as always, it's going to have to be a win-win for both of us.

To those of you who are wondering about Midwest Fabrication, here's their website.  They are busy . . . and I ADORE THEIR WORK!

http://www.midwest-fabrication.com/

Chris, I don't care what you answered early to my post but I just LOVE your tag:

Bonneville I/GT record holder - 122.539 mph
:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

I was so fortunate to be there to see that happen!!!!!

Gregg

OK
We'll talk about your possible road trip later!

You know what, Gregg?  I'm kind of fond of it myself!  :cheers: