Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3266596 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2010, 08:49:16 PM »
Looking back at the photos, you may want to move that plate to the other side to hide the ding. That's assuming that you're not already hiding a larger one. :evil: :evil: :-D :-D

Pete
It will be covering the ding - this was just a photo-op.  I'm thinking of having the Magna Carta inscribed on a much larger one to cover the big dent in the oil pan. :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Geo

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
Looks much better with the valve cover on.  All the issues go away!  :wink:

I know what the M stands for:   My

So if you get another speed part from Upper Michigan with "MG  My" on it you will have the info for the curious.

Yes, MG   My Grenade  :cheers:

Geo

Offline Rob

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2010, 02:37:14 AM »
I was hoping for Mighty Go-er.. maybe the next donk then?  :-D

Glad your rocker problems are going away.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »
Just a quick shutout to a certain lurker.

Dad - glad the lightening damage wasn't too sever - good luck with the surgery. 

And no, folks, the two topics are not related.  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »
No pics tonight - dead battery in the camera.  The Energizer Bunny let me down. :oops:

Made headway on the short block.  Pistons, rods, crank, all in place, clearances good, a LONG way from the oooey, goooey, seized up mess it was 2 months ago.

Permatex makes a fine assembly lube.

So does Pabst. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
Enginering by interacting with others with beer  :-o ---Andy & I call it
binge-g-neering  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2010, 01:00:36 AM »
This might actually work. 

I finally summoned up the sack to shave some metal off of the pedestals tonight.  I used one of my ARP nuts as a guide to limit my tendency to overdo things.  (Wow, I just used “nuts” and “sack” in the same paragraph?  Ooops.)

Using a file, and being gentle, I just eyeballed it up, and then I used a fret file to put a nice radius on the edge.  It's nice having luthier tools lying around-

I was surprised that I was actually able to get enough metal removed to allow me clearance, and not have to grind on the rocker itself.  The rocker on the right shows the relieved pedestal, the one on the left is “as shipped” –

The result is .023 clearance between the top of the valve and the roller with the rocker all the way back against the pedestal.  Considering that the valve was initially being held open about 1/32, it’s a great improvement.

Here’s my concern - The stock valve clearance is supposed to be .012, and with a high lift cam, I’m supposed to add another .003, so .015 is where I should be setting my valves.  .023 - .015 = .08.  I will have a .010 shim on the shaft between the rocker and the pedestal, which will move the rocker laterally, and should pick me up a couple of thousandths on the inside of the dogleg, but it all seems a bit tight. I don’t want the rocker to slam into the pedestal, and it wouldn’t take much in the way of maladjustment to cause that to happen.  I can shave the rocker a bit, but I’d sure like to avoid that. 

I’m entertaining all thoughts on this one.

P.S.  Good news on the home front.  My dad came through his knee replacement surgery with flying colors.  They actually had him walking on it about 3 hours after the surgery.  :-o

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
once they work out to make 'em grow they'll start sticking those knees in babies when they're born, my mum has two, she did 30 laps in the swim-a-thon for the local hospital last year , she's 82.......there's a few bits of her I recognize, the rest were made in a factory and inserted under anesthetic.... everytime I speak to her she says , " I'm feeling SO much better"???????? there must be a limit to how good you can feel , she's a glass half full type and its always getting fuller.......

Polish those bits you whittle just to make sure there's no stress rising nicks or scratches....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2010, 01:49:42 AM »
Polish those bits you whittle just to make sure there's no stress rising nicks or scratches....

Doctor's orders? :-D  I'll hit it this weekend - the rest of the week is shot.

After chattin' with PJ on line tonight, I went ahead an lightly clearenced the rockers themselves.  All's good - it really didn't take much to get 'em to a point I felt comfortable with the clearance, and I don't think they're compromised to the point of concern.  I'll know for sure in September.

Speaking of Doctors, they've got dad walking up and down the halls of the hospital again today.  He'll be home on Thursday.  I've nicknamed him "Skippy".

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
Yeah . . . this is going to work. 

I told Kate tonight that I was going out to the garage to polish my pedestals.  "Plural?” she asked.

Some people are good at telling long, elaborate jokes.  Other folks are good with the one-liners.  But I’ve never met anybody as quick with the one-word zinger as Mrs. Midget.

Modified rocker on top, unmodified on bottom, and ultra-shiney pedestal to the left -

Finally put it all together, and the geometry looks pretty good.

Still waiting on the shims, but for now, it’s time to drink beer!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »
Looks good MM. I think it'll work just fine. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »
Did you ever get your valve stem length correct so that they seat?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2010, 12:39:05 AM »
Did you ever get your valve stem length correct so that they seat?

While they're a little bit shorter than stock, I'm happy with the valve stem length. Anything shorter would have had me changing springs and risk spring binding.

Before I relieved the pedestal and rockers on the intakes, the inside of the dogleg of the rocker hit on the pedestal, which is what caused the intake valve to hang up.  If I had gone with a shorter valve, and it would have had to be about 1/32 shorter, then at rest, geometry as viewed from the side would have been tilted toward the valve.  Then the pushrod angle with respect to the adjuster would have been at an extreme when extended.

You think it's goofy now, wait until next year.  This is with and advertised cam lift of .296.  Next year, it will be a tad more extreme. :-D

Hey, Walt - did you ever get that cam timing adjuster built?  Do you need another project for shop class before you graduate? :roll:  Seriously.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:48:33 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »
I'm probably out of place here Chris...but I was just having a giggle after looking at your "no hat" under the avatar...... now doesn't it go "big hat no cattle" .....I thought you could at least have written " all bull,no hat" :wink:

you can tell the Missget that, or is it Gidget.....

while we're here I see you didn't machine the rocker gear to fit , you "relieved it"...by hand....indeed.

enough for now.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »
LSR folks are sure wide awake tomorrow nights down under............ :-D

Ed