Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255326 times)

Offline hoffman900

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5850 on: April 23, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »
A good friend was on the dyno last week. Hopefully this gets some of the juices flowing for you guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Z1e9x9BmqDA

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5851 on: April 23, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »
My first ride in a sports car was a Triumph TR3 in 1967.  My dad and his buddies headed up to Road America in the '62 Dodge, and his friend with the TR left it behind in case Mom needed to run to the store - we were a one-car family at the time.

And we were also deemed too young to be left at home, so my two sisters were jammed up behind the seats, I rode in front, and my mom drove us all to the Hy-Vee and back for enough provisions to finish out the weekend.

I haven't been the same since.

And when I think back, despite having the stress of 3 kids in tow, my mom was smiling all the way.

Dad - I know you're following this - you need to get mom a TR for her birthday this August.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #5852 on: April 23, 2016, 10:11:35 PM »
My first ride in a sports car was a Triumph TR3 in 1967.  My dad and his buddies headed up to Road America in the '62 Dodge, and his friend with the TR left it behind in case Mom needed to run to the store - we were a one-car family at the time.

And we were also deemed too young to be left at home, so my two sisters were jammed up behind the seats, I rode in front, and my mom drove us all to the Hy-Vee and back for enough provisions to finish out the weekend.

I haven't been the same since.

And when I think back, despite having the stress of 3 kids in tow, my mom was smiling all the way.

Dad - I know you're following this - you need to get mom a TR for her birthday this August.

Yup, That clean C Production car did get the juices flowing.

Oh my, you brought back fond memories of Road America. I first attended this track with Graham McRae and his converted F5000 to CanAm. Also, my first taste of "brats". A beautiful track that I eventually had a chance to race.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5853 on: April 24, 2016, 01:13:30 AM »

Oh my, you brought back fond memories of Road America. I first attended this track with Graham McRae and his converted F5000 to CanAm. Also, my first taste of "brats". A beautiful track that I eventually had a chance to race.

Plant me at turn 5, give me a beer and a brat with a clear shot of the track, and nothing else in the universe matters.

I think about Donohue with the AMC powered Lola, or Warren Agor tearing it up in a big block Camaro, or David Hobbs loosing grip in the 320i turbo in the wet, ripping up under the Corvette Bridge, and a minute later, watching them blast through the Mitchell Bend.

If I had my misspent youth to live over again, I'd misspend it in exactly the same way.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:54:14 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline ggl205

« Reply #5854 on: April 24, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
If I had my misspent youth to live over again, I'd misspend it in exactly the same way.

The same thing happened to me at Bonneville. I was sixteen (1963) and asked if I would like to spend a week at Bonneville with my good friend Bill Burke Jr. Of course I said yes but didn't know at the time what this would lead to. The salt bug bit hard and upon my return home, began scheming how I would return as a driver. It took a few years, 46 to be exact, and I made it back with a car. I never did recover from that first experience as a teen.

John

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5855 on: April 24, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »
Chris,
I actually owned, along with my good friend Harry Haggard, the Hobbs 320I. Got it in the early 80s and it sat in my garage in Long Beach for several years. My sons used it to play "race car" in! We blew up the engine in 88 on the Drake Engineering dyno. I still have the torched piston and rod hanging on my shop wall. To much boost and not enough intercooler, it was making about 600 HPs when the piston melted through. I heard that Mclearn was able to get around 680 out of it with qualifying boost and Hobbs really knew how to drive it.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5856 on: April 24, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
Rex -

I'm getting old, but I remember at the time that I thought the BMW, along with Ludwig's Miller Mustang, were probably the most technologically advanced and well put-together production based racers I'd ever seen.

Coming off of turn 5 at Road America, you've scrubbed off a lot of speed, and then need to flog it to make it up the elevation.  The BMW was peaky, and the second the boost came up, it was Katie, bar the doors, because the car would get a little light, and Hobbs needed to finesse it to gather enough speed to make the hill into turn 6.  But once it hooked up, that's all she wrote.

Just great racing.

Offline krusty

« Reply #5857 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »
Rex, great to hear you mention Harry Haggard; I learned so much from him (and Jonesy Morris) when I worked with him '86 doing IMSA. Hopefully we'll have salt this year and please stop by for a chat.

Midget, you are absolutely right about both Hobbo and Klaus. I was fortunate to have worked with David  in '87 when he co-drove with us (Levi Garrett Camaro) Sebring. He could drive anything, and drive it very well. One of the best, period.

Also hi fordboy - we'll get our reunion yet.

vic

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5858 on: April 25, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
midget,

Sorry, very busy.

Regarding crank sizes:

Mains, Std size for 1400 Rover, crank should be ground @ middle of spec to low limit,  Mahle Motorsport (Vandervell) bearings

Rods, Std size for small journal BMC, crank should be ground to middle of spec,  Mahle Motorsport (Vandervell) bearings

Normally, for service parts, the crank size spec is a range of .0005"/.0006" from high to low limits, as opposed to the factory build sizes, which are "graded" in 2 or 3 steps.  The "grading" process recovers parts that are "slightly out" the main sizing spec, thereby lowering manufacturer costs.   In a perfect world, all parts outside of "spec" would be "discarded" as "not useable".    However this does not account for Mondays, Fridays, or 4 beers/ 3 martinis, with lunch.

I think the sizes are readily available in both metric and inch sizes off the King Engine Bearing online catalog.

Vic,

Considering a B'ville trip this year, even though the Midget is not very far along.   Let me know when you are going.    Any chance you will attend R/A in July?

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

« Reply #5859 on: April 25, 2016, 08:50:13 AM »
I just knew LSR was were old, ex road racers went to die. I no longer feel alone (lol).

John

Offline krusty

« Reply #5860 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
We are usually at SpeedWeek from the set-up day Thursday through the next Thursday, as we run 2 cars and have 5 different (class) engines to play with. I don't know what Jim, the "Head Hoodlum" has planned yet, but we've been ready since 2014 to try to up the D/GRMR records that our car holds (by the guy I originally built the car for) and then, hopefully, put in our big B engine. Also probably run E/BGSR with our new blown 260" (did you see the Hot Rod article?). Also have a C. We will be at Wilmington this weekend to finally shake it down - it was ready for Bonneville 2015. No to Road America - my last race there was 1993 TransAm. After the season, I relocated to NASCARland.

John, what do you mean "old"? I'm only 70 - you and Rex are 'way older. And, yes, this seems to be a road racers' refuge.  :evil:

vic

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5861 on: April 25, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
Krusty --

What class is E/BGSR?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5862 on: April 25, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »
Vic,
OK so I have a couple of years on you !!! You are still the "Krusty" one. As long as we have Chris' site way laid I have attached a pic of Harry, Dennis Asse and myself at Sears Point a couple of years ago. Both doing well.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #5863 on: April 25, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »
Rex:

I haven't heard Dennis Asse's name in forever. I purchased a ton of Porsche parts from the Asse brothers in the 70's. I think Dennis successfully did a little LSR after a good road racing career?

John

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5864 on: April 26, 2016, 12:53:48 AM »
Hopefully this gets some of the juices flowing for you guys...

We have been a bit behind the curve -

Got an e-mail from Rody Crank this weekend - needed the final finish dimensions.  I got ahold of Larry Ireland at Mahle, NA, who chased down the part number and got the dimensions for us.  Normally, you order standard, .020 under, etc., but I wasn't sure where we were starting.  We, on the other hand, are starting with the bearing and having the crank ground to fit. 

I've learned that I'm about to be on the frustrated end of a wasted call when I inquire about engine bearings and the person on the other end, dutifully scrolling through the menu, asks which interior option package my 2004 MG 25 has.  Stocking retailers in Great Britain were unable to provide the dimensions, even with the part number, so I needed to buttonhole the manufacturer.  Should be seeing the crank before the next full moon.

Also received a small package from McMaster Carr today - the hardened washers to top off the Chevy piston rings we're using to hold the deck plate in place.  T&T - I owe you guys lunch.

I've got the mold of the head which I need to ship off to Noonan - hopefully this week.  Mark's got a fixture ready to flow the throttle bodies - things are ramping up.   :cheers: