Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255204 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5325 on: October 15, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
I was a big Quicksilver fan. But they were better when John Cipalino was alive. Nicky did make the piano cool though

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5326 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
You Californians are show-offs!  You know the bands of that era way better than those of us way up north in the "middle west".  I never got far enough into the group(s) to know the names of the artists.  Now -- if you ask me much about the Guess Who -- from Winnipeg, Manitoba -- them I know about! :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5327 on: October 15, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
Try a listen to Tal Farlow. Interesting guy; he quit his music career for a few years to do what he had always wanted to be-- a sign painter.  :? Now he's back and has a few more albums released. "Cooking On All Burners" is my favorite. Great jazz guitarist!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5328 on: October 15, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
John Cipolina was the guitar player on the first album and the Happy Trails album. Lots of use of the cry baby pedal. After he ODed Nikky Gravinites came to the forefront playing a heavy metal piano. Who would have thought?  They were a San Francisco band and very popular around here.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5329 on: October 15, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
Only San Francisco band that I recall is Bob Scobey's.  But that was a while ago.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5330 on: October 15, 2015, 02:48:45 PM »
I did not know that Van Morrison came from Quicksilver.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5331 on: October 15, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »
I didn't know that either, Fred.  I think maybe I shoulda been a bit more clearly explicit when I commented on Morrison in the same post about Quicksilver.  Sorry if I cornfused you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5332 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
Easy to do! :dhorse:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline tortoise

« Reply #5333 on: October 15, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
Quote from: Slim
Them featuring Van Morrison
I did not know that Van Morrison came from Quicksilver.
No, not them, Them. Who? Guess Who. Yes! It's a Beautiful Day!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5334 on: October 15, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
Still looking to buy a Morris Van . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5335 on: October 15, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5336 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
Things are moving – slowly – but the pace will be picking up shortly.

Mark’s already posted up the offer-up progress for the K mating up to the ribcage transmission, which means in the next week or so, I’ll need to be pulling the A series out of the Midget.  That’s going to throw me even further behind on getting the Pom Rod up and rolling.  I’ve let it sit virtually untouched since the word on Speedweek came down as a no-go.  The time away from garage duty has been good, and I was able to keep a few promises to Kate – including this one.

I pulled the MGB out of storage when the Dodge gave up the ghost, and we’ve been able to get some day-trips in on the weekends in the MGB.  One of our favorite day-away drives takes us north and west of Milwaukee into Washington County, and we’ll travel the roads around the Basilica of Holy Hill.  The roads are narrow, yet well kept, with autumn tree canopies that look like something out of a fairy tale.

Last week, Dave Jefferson, the president of the local MG club, sent out an e-mail to the club suggesting an ad-hoc drive through these very roads as a season-capping club event for Saturday, October 10.  Dave owns a RHD MG TC, which is in immaculate shape, and he led the pack – which automatically limited our top speeds.

He expected a handful of members on the short notice.  Instead, due in no small part to unseasonably wonderful weather, we wound up with a flotilla of MGs terrorizing the back roads.  Kate and I were delighted.

Our Antiques Road Show ended at noon at a restaurant called, “The Fox and Hounds”, an old-school supper club that’s been around for 82 years.  It’s a popular place on weekends, and despite the staff dealing with a 100 guest reception in a private room, and dozens of Harley riders in the general seating area, they managed to accommodate about 30 MG kooks seeking burgers and bloodys with a request for conjoined tables.

Now if the staff at the Fox and Hounds hadn’t had enough on their table, no sooner had we went out to the parking lot, the local Austin Healey club showed up . . .

Between the Harleys, Healeys and MGs, I suspect the parking lot looked like the aftermath of the Exxon Valdez by Saturday night.

Ordered my credentials for the PRI show.  I’ll have some prints and specs to talk to Noonan and the folks at Saenz about.  I’ll also be looking for cam buckets and talking to Tilton about a starter drive.

I need to get on it.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5337 on: October 16, 2015, 07:03:04 AM »
You Californians are show-offs!  You know the bands of that era way better than those of us way up north in the "middle west".  I never got far enough into the group(s) to know the names of the artists.  Now -- if you ask me much about the Guess Who -- from Winnipeg, Manitoba -- them I know about! :evil:

Slim,

Here is an Elk Grove musical trivia question you may know the answer to:

What was the name of the northwest suburban (Elk Grove/Hoffman Estates/Schaumburg) Chicago garage band of the late 60's/early70's that topped Styx and the Ides of March TWICE in two WLS sponsored "Battles of the Bands"?

HINT:  They won a recording contract and promptly disappeared from the suburban Chicago rock scene.

Extra points if you know the names of the band members . . . . . . .   HINT:   EGVHS class of '69 contributed 2 members.

:cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:10:25 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5338 on: October 16, 2015, 07:08:28 AM »
I/GT Trivia Contest

midget, et all,

Guess what this is:

HINT:   It is intended for friendly "persuasion" . . . . . . .

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5339 on: October 16, 2015, 07:23:09 AM »
I use a very similar piece when I build headers. It's used to push a cone shaped piece of 16 ga. over a tapered square or rectangular shaped form to make the stubb tubes that fit into the header flange. This adapts the square or rectangular port to the round header tube.

While I doubt that's the purpose of your piece I would imagine it's something similar.

Pete