They probably all do then or at least come pretty close. It should be a pretty simple machining operation to provide clearance.
PJ, you're always the voice of reason - thanks. I'm thinking now it might not come to that - I'm thinking operator error.
I needed to walk away from it for today. 6+ hours and two trips to the hardware store was enough.
Here's the deal -
I'm pretty darned certain that the new timing gear set - an adjustable piece with a timing mark only on the crank gear - and my lack of understanding of it - is the source of the problem.
I wanted to get it close and I used an old timing gear on the cam - one with a mark - to get the cam approximated, then replaced it with the vernier unit. Using the stock cam
sprocket, I lined up the centers and the dots.
What I did not check is where the timing mark on the original stock crank
sprocket was indexed with respect to the keyway.
I may have jumped the gun, and I'm hoping it's just a brainfart.
Time to grab the spec sheet and do it right - but . . .
One variable hanging over my head that I've yet to suss out is what a 2.45:1 rod/stroke ratio might contribute to my headache. This cam opens mighty fast, and I've got to lose about 2+ cc's from my combustion chambers to make this combination really work right.
The upside is that the rocker geometry looks pretty decent on the intake stroke.
Finished up a recording tonight - my guitar and organ parts, anyway. Nice to get away from the Midget for a couple of hours.
"Snap-On Fool" is the song.
I feel pretty close to that song . . .