Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3267422 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #5040 on: May 08, 2015, 10:54:24 PM »
I've got a call into Wayno on the intake. 

I did some sand casting of aluminum in high school, and I'm thinking I can still make a mold.  There's a small specialty foundry on S 2nd street that does some one-off things for the Harley guys. 

Fabbing up a welded piece is an option.

In fact, a heat resistant plastic unit might be an option as well.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5041 on: May 09, 2015, 01:23:16 AM »
... a heat resistant plastic unit...
But would it hold up when you throw in some NITRO? :evil:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5042 on: May 09, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
... a heat resistant plastic unit...
But would it hold up when you throw in some NITRO? :evil:

I'm thinking . . . . . .  probably not!!    :-D

In fact, I'm thinking that the "sandwich construction" of this little jewel would too easily permit "drivin' over the crank", ala Wild Willie Borsch.
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5043 on: May 09, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »

I did some sand casting of aluminum in high school, and I'm thinking I can still make a mold.  There's a small specialty foundry on S 2nd street that does some one-off things for the Harley guys. 

midget,

Copied you in on an inquiry to Jenvey Dynamics.   Since most of their stuff is for larger displacement K16 engines, I'm not optimistic that they have anything suitable for a 1.0L engine.    We will see what they reply.

:cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5044 on: May 09, 2015, 06:18:29 PM »
I'm wondering if a BMW K1200T set up might not be a good starting point.

Looks to be 4 individual bodies held together with an easily refabricatable set of steel frames.

34 mm - that sounds about right for a 9500 upper limit

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5045 on: May 09, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
I have a set of four Honda throttle bodies. About 1.6 at the head. Yours for the taking if you want them. Actually these are Suzuki parts, but I don't have them anymore. That is to say. These are the Suzuki bodies that I used on my Plymouth. To give you an idea of how I mounted them. The Honda parts are very much the same.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:15:01 PM by RichFox »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5046 on: May 09, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »

Heat resistant?. I use a resin that can handle 180*C and is highly resistant to volatile chemicals.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5047 on: May 10, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »

I did some sand casting of aluminum in high school, and I'm thinking I can still make a mold.  There's a small specialty foundry on S 2nd street that does some one-off things for the Harley guys.  

midget,

Copied you in on an inquiry to Jenvey Dynamics.   Since most of their stuff is for larger displacement K16 engines, I'm not optimistic that they have anything suitable for a 1.0L engine.    We will see what they reply.

Fordboy

With an ~ 34mm diameter intake port at the head face, I would start with a 40mm/38mm throttle plate, depending on the length of the manifold.   The smallest t/b Jenvey lists for the application is a 42mm.    We are getting too far ahead here, let me get flow numbers for the head first.

Fordboy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:45:56 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5048 on: May 10, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
I don't normally do MMs. But I think the Honda parts are 40mm.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5049 on: May 10, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »
Rich, for quick measurements a mm is about .040" (.03937). Simple math will get you through.  :wink: Wayno

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5050 on: May 10, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »
Well that comes to 1.574 inch = 40mm. I measured the Honda parts at 1.612 at the head. But the throttle plate is to far in for me to check. I don't know anything about what makes good EFI throttles. These might be alright. But I know you guys are looking for something better that just alright. Even if they are free. These are cast in pairs on a 1.572 inch bore center.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:52:55 PM by RichFox »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5051 on: May 10, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
Bore centers are 3.160 or so on the Honda parts. My mistake.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5052 on: May 10, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »
Rich, I appreciate the offer.

Seeing as we're looking at 88 mm spacing, and looking to do a straight shot into the port, my investigation is into motorcycle TBs that are individually made, and preferably not cast in pairs.

What I think I'm going to do is take an afternoon off and spend some time at Milwaukee Cycle - http://milwaukeecycle.com/ .  They've come through for me back when I owned bikes, and even came up with an auxiliary radiator for the Grenade.  They've got yards of shelves with every type of used motorcycle part imaginable, including TBs. 

What I like about the BMW setup is that all we'd have to do to get proper spacing would be to build two angle iron brackets, a fuel rail and come up with a linkage.

I'm not sure, but I'd bet they're Bosch pieces.

I'm not ruling out an off-the-shelf kit like the Jenevys, but once we know the flow demand, my thinking is that the adaptations we'd need to make it do what we need it to do are likely going to be sorted out easier with parts we can quickly access in the US through APE rather than a specialty company in Europe.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #5053 on: May 10, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »
Midget/Fordboy,
Just to satisfy my curiosity I finally assembled some information and comparisons of the through-bolt loadings and stresses.  This is on the attached pdf, along with a copy of the ARP stud drawing, in case you don’t already have it.
From the results, it seems there are some conclusions to be drawn.
The 90 x 90 degree make-up rotation spec is most likely bogus.
The Rover upgrade to 10.9 material and 180 x 135 degree rotation makes sense, since that puts it right in the region of the yield strength of the material--not that some yielding is unacceptable.  Clearly, the previous 9.8 spec material probably was, as is roundly noted in various places, loaded into its yield range.
The made-up bolt load appears to be plenty to contain the gas pressures--didn’t bother to estimate bottom end loading.
The ARP 50 lb-ft torque puts it right in alignment with the other schemes as far as generated load.  Plus, the higher strength of the stud material can probably accommodate the thermal loading while still staying under its yield point.  This would be a good thing in that it would retain most of its preload and springiness.  Some preload may be lost due to gasket compression, but at least not more from the bolting.

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #5054 on: May 12, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »
Long shot, but wouldn't it be cool if these fitted!

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Fuel/Carburettors/C-AJJ4065.aspx?1302&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/injection.aspx|Back to search

I'll try to find out the spacing / throttle Dia.

They're made by Jenvey for Minispares, you can buy the components without having to buy the whole kit if you know who to ask!!  :-D :-D