Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3271215 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4980 on: April 30, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
Layover angle of the "Special K" . . . . . .    maybe some sponsorship $ from Kelloggs?

midget,

Looks like 12 degrees is the standard install angle.

I'm actually thinking the best situation will be to install this puppy vertically, more room to fabricate headers and keep clear of the steering shaft.    The only caveat is whether straight up impacts inlet manifold/injector/air cleaner space negatively.

Probably need to do a mock up with some measurements and photos relatively soon.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4981 on: April 30, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »

I'm actually thinking the best situation will be to install this puppy vertically, more room to fabricate headers and keep clear of the steering shaft.    The only caveat is whether straight up impacts inlet manifold/injector/air cleaner space negatively.

The other point of impact might be the bonnet.  :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4982 on: April 30, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »

The other point of impact might be the bonnet.  :roll:

Well, it has got to be "shorter" with the cam cover "flat" as opposed to tilted 12 degrees on the crankshaft centerline.

That's just geometry . . . . . .    :roll:
 :dhorse:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4983 on: April 30, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
That's just geometry . . . . . .    :roll:
 :dhorse:

Slim - is there a reason this poor, dead horse is constantly getting clubbed in the nuts?

I'm starting to feel empathy for an avatar . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4984 on: April 30, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
If you put the engine in straight up and use a stock pan there won't be any question as to which side the oil should be scavanged from!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4985 on: April 30, 2015, 10:51:13 AM »
When doing a HeliCoil you should use a 120 degree countersink and install the insert 1/4 to 1/2 turn from flush.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4986 on: April 30, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »
PJ:

"Balls, said the Queen.  If I had 'em I'd be King!"

Having said that I find that upon close inspection the dead horse is being clubbed on the outside of the left rear hip.  No family items are being threatened.  And anyway, the horse is/was a gelding -- nothing much remains to be clubbed.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4987 on: April 30, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
PJ:

"Balls, said the Queen.  If I had 'em I'd be King!"

Having said that I find that upon close inspection the dead horse is being clubbed on the outside of the left rear hip.  No family items are being threatened.  And anyway, the horse is/was a gelding -- nothing much remains to be clubbed.

I'm innocent Slim, honest! Look back, it's Chris that's the nefarious scoundrel.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4988 on: April 30, 2015, 03:52:33 PM »
Special 'K',  krankenshafted . . . . . .

OK.  Got my first close up inspection of this "engine of the eighties".    Interesting, to say the least.    Sorry, I did not take the time for photos.

First, and worst, observation was that ALL the rod bearing oiling is directed from cross-drilled main bearing journals #2 and #4.    This is coupled with main bearings grooved on the upper shell only, positions #2, #3, and #4 only.

Think about this, and what it really is.   Stumped?    It's the oiling setup from the #2 main to the #2/#3 rods, albeit with cross-drilling, from our favorite tractor engine, the BMC!!!!!!!    Doubled up to feed 2 sets for a total of 4 rod bearings.    Makes you wonder who designed this setup . . . . . .  and also if the racing K's in Britain are using modified oiling systems.    BTW, as an aside, this crank is heavily worn on the rod journals.    Go figure.

Well, no harm done, 'cause Chris wasn't going to be able to use it anyway, because of the stroke.

So, to paraphrase former Bears head coach Dick Jauron's 2002 Quote of the year, "It's not my build, but I'm on that build."     Given that, this is what I would do for a crank:

1]   E4340 billet crankshaft.  8 counterweights, aerodynamically shaped.   Heat treat with Ion-plasma nitride.    Dynamically balanced.

2]   Reduce stroke to 56mm.   (75mm bore = 989.6 cc's       75.5mm bore = 1002.8 cc's)

3]   Size/grind rod journals to use race quality bearings, Honda or other.

4]   Drill crank for low pressure oiling strategy, ala Nascar Chevy.   #1 main feeds #1 rod; #2 main feeds #2 rod; #3 main feeds thrust washers; #4 main feeds #3 rod; and
      #5 main feeds #4 rod.     This will require grooved bearings or grooving the stock bearings to facilitate the oil feed, as in racing 4 cylinder Fords/Cosworths.   No cross-drilling.
      edit:   Grooving the mains, (1,2,4,5) ala racing Subaru, might be the best option.

5]   Retain rear hub seal diameter and location to retain stock rear crank seal.

6]   Extend rear hub to accommodate engine adaptor plate and BMC transmission.   Dimensions/sketch to follow.

7]   Machine/grind rear hub extension to mount BMC flywheel with the std BMC bolt/dowel pattern.   3/8ths UNF threads in crank.

8]   Retain BMC pilot bushing dimensions in rear hub extension.

9]   Retain metric crank snout thread for drive cog compatibility.

x]   Possible main journal/main bearing size change, if a suitable fully grooved bearing is found.   ? ? ? ? ?

Anything else you can think of Chris?
Numbbrainboy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:23:23 PM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4989 on: April 30, 2015, 03:56:05 PM »
If you put the engine in straight up and use a stock pan there won't be any question as to which side the oil should be scavanged from!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Kind of a plus actually.    We'll have to see if a new oil suction pipe or an external line is the best option.

Did Chris mention the stock oil pickup is plastic?   Probably an oil resistant nylon or co-polymer.    :-o
Fordboy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:14:45 PM by fordboy628 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4990 on: April 30, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
Well, yeah, I see -- but still, you whine ever so well. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4991 on: April 30, 2015, 06:44:23 PM »
Well, yeah, I see -- but still, you whine ever so well. :evil:

Thank-you!  :-D :-D :-D

Now back to the MM thread.

Pete

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #4992 on: May 01, 2015, 12:37:39 AM »
Midget/Fordboy:
Ref. Reply #4988

Some of the following may be the result of misinterpretation, but anyway..

1] “Heat treat” to what condition and when in the process?  Shotpeened or rolled and undercut fillets?  Presume the nitriding is only on the journals, not fillets.  (Who wants brittle stress concentrations?)  Counterweights per eventually selected reciprocating part weights?

4]  What is the “low pressure oiling strategy”, just the flow pattern?   Presume that “grooving the mains” a la Subaru refers to grooving the main bearings, not the journals.

x]  Looking at previous photos of the girdle (page 302), it appears that the stock oil enters the mains about 120 degrees ATDC, which makes sense since at that location, the clearance between the bearing shell and the journal would be closing up, with oil immediately available going into the load carrying portion of the bearing.  Also note that the stock bottom bearing shells are NOT grooved.  This also makes sense, since a groove would significantly reduce the load capacity of the bearing.  A fully grooved bearing would be bad news for two reasons--one, less area to support the load and two, the groove provides a location for the oil that is in the close clearances between the journal and the bearing to leak out and further reduce the clearance and capacity.
       The upper halves appear to be grooved, which is probably OK due to lower loading requirements and facilitates collecting oil for feeding to the rods.
      I would think long and hard before grooving the lower bearings.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4993 on: May 01, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »
midget,

At least high quality bearings are available for the 1.8L Rover.

Now we just need to do some research to confirm the sizes are the same as the 1.4L engine.   Or if the block can be modified for these bearings . . . . . . .

Notice that the bearing arrangement is the same though, grooved bearings on the top of #2, #3, and #4 main only.

How many days until SpeedWeek 2016?
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4994 on: May 01, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Midget/Fordboy:
Ref. Reply #4988

Some of the following may be the result of misinterpretation, but anyway..

1] “Heat treat” to what condition and when in the process?  Shotpeened or rolled and undercut fillets?  Presume the nitriding is only on the journals, not fillets.  (Who wants brittle stress concentrations?)  Counterweights per eventually selected reciprocating part weights?

4]  What is the “low pressure oiling strategy”, just the flow pattern?   Presume that “grooving the mains” a la Subaru refers to grooving the main bearings, not the journals.

x]  Looking at previous photos of the girdle (page 302), it appears that the stock oil enters the mains about 120 degrees ATDC, which makes sense since at that location, the clearance between the bearing shell and the journal would be closing up, with oil immediately available going into the load carrying portion of the bearing.  Also note that the stock bottom bearing shells are NOT grooved.  This also makes sense, since a groove would significantly reduce the load capacity of the bearing.  A fully grooved bearing would be bad news for two reasons--one, less area to support the load and two, the groove provides a location for the oil that is in the close clearances between the journal and the bearing to leak out and further reduce the clearance and capacity.
       The upper halves appear to be grooved, which is probably OK due to lower loading requirements and facilitates collecting oil for feeding to the rods.
      I would think long and hard before grooving the lower bearings.

IO,

I don't think there is any misinterpretation when I am not as specific as I could be.

Re:
1]    I leave the specifics of the heat treatment process to the crankshaft mfg pros.   I know just enough about material science & heat treatment to be dangerous.   Although I
       know what I want in the end product.    I also defer the design/mfg process to the pros who do it every day, as they have more experience with what can be done and
       what will work.    Greg Rodi is ex-Moldex, and he is Chris' choice.     But there is no shortage of good race crank manufacturers out there.   I think most crank mfg's
       specify a "triple heat treat", although I'm not sure of the specifics.

4]    A "straight shot" oil drilling that supplies oil to the rod bearing ~60 degrees or so BTDC.    I have seen a LOT of bearing wear with the Cosworth type rod oiling, and it
       REQUIRES high oil pressure (90+ psi) to have any chance of working.    I'm also wanting to have full oil flow and pressure available to the rod bearings, all through the
       cycle, not just every 180 degrees.    This "straight shot" permits lower oil pressure while preserving bearing life.   The lower oil pressure can gain a bhp or 2 in an engine
       of this size/output, and as usual, we are looking to extract every bhp possible.

Check out this photo of a racing Subaru billet from Marine Crankshaft.   It has grooved mains for oiling feed.

I too, would prefer to use full bearings for the lower shells, for the reasons you state, though I realize that grooved mains will also reduce the load carrying capacity as well.  What we need is some feedback from guys racing K series engines using the stock style oiling.    I'd bet good money that they are not as happy with their bearing wear as 4 cylinder Ford racers or even BMC 4 racers.    I'm not keen on using the stock bearing as they are a "stock" quality bearing.   I'd prefer to upgrade to the Mahle/Vandervell VP-2 material, as used in racing Fords/BMCs/Cosworths.    It is a proven material for racing.

Fordboy
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:56:28 AM by fordboy628 »