Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3266786 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4875 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:13 AM »

Where I am going with this is that any compression ratio raising will need to be done with a "dome" on the piston.   
 :cheers:
Fordboy

Probably the best option, but I'm not averse to welding up the head, either.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4876 on: March 23, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
MM, be careful with welding up the head with any serious amount of weld. There was a time. many years ago when one of the four cylinder Fords had an issue with cracking between the valves. A friend of mine welded up a whole bunch of them after experimenting with the first couple. It required a pretty serious support clamp assembly to keep the head straight enough for remachining and everything needed to be machined. This was a non race application, strictly warrantee.

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4877 on: March 23, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
MM, be careful with welding up the head with any serious amount of weld. There was a time. many years ago when one of the four cylinder Fords had an issue with cracking between the valves. A friend of mine welded up a whole bunch of them after experimenting with the first couple. It required a pretty serious support clamp assembly to keep the head straight enough for remachining and everything needed to be machined. This was a non race application, strictly warrantee.

Pete

PJ,

It's likely not an option we'll pursue, as most of the head is taken up with valves - which I've been told is a good thing.  :wink:

But yes, some sort of fixture would be necessary.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4878 on: March 23, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »

Pete

Yes, all of the above.   And they probably were not concerned about raceworthiness either.     The way I see the problem is that the Rover cylinder head material is not the best to begin with.    I know from past experience that welding porous alloy heads is no fun.    The micro-voids in the castings are always filled with "contaminants", like anti-freeze, lubricating oil and my favorite, corrosion.    The process is still a pain, even when the heads are pre-heated in an oven, to "burn off" the contaminants.    And if the head is pre-heated long enough & hot enough, bye bye heat-treat for sure.

On welding of alloy cylinder heads which were "good" material to begin with, (LM25 for Cosworths or Lotus TwinCams, 356 for US produced heads), extensive welding damages any heat treatment that the head may have undergone.    Once the head is heat treated again, to improve material strength, it inevitably needs to be completely re-machined, a giant pain in the keister . . . . .   and expensive . . . . . .

Welding the head is my idea of a "cascading nightmare" . . . . . . .    :dhorse:

My concern about the Rover is that I do not know anyone who has small enough tooling to re-machine the cam bores.    And I do not want the nightmare of oversize tappet bores, etc . . . . . . .

Consider this:    The factory Rover engineers solved a "head gasket" problem by going to an MLS gasket AND an additional stainless steel shim, inserted between the head face and the MLS gasket.   Their explanation was that the "shim" "prevented the gasket from "digging into" the head under load.    Hmmmm, either they had inadequate clamp load, or, soft head material, or, thermal cycling breaking the compression seal.    Or maybe a combination of all three.    I think that any of those issues need to be minimized, from the outset on this build, if the engine is going to have a chance to produce 125/130 bhp, reliably.    For you cubic inch guys, that's 2.13 bhp/cubic inch, normally aspirated.     The best way to accomplish this is to be "smart" rather than "hopeful" or "lucky" . . . . . .

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4879 on: March 24, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »
Pom Rod Dash update -

Simple, clean, and absolutely rock-and-roll.  Covered with Fender amplifier tolex/vinyl.

Telecaster chrome switchplate.  Left slider is for the lights, 3 position Stratocaster switch, off, driving lights and headlights.  The knob in the center is actually a push button with a Telecaster knob fitted to it for the horn, the knob to the far right is a 2 position rotary switch for the wipers.

The Treble/Rhythm switch is from a Les Paul - operates the high and low beams.

They're not high amperage switches, so I've got a fistful of relays to wire up.

77 CJ speedometer with gas and temp gauge, turn signal indicators, oil light, hi beam indicator.  Junky tach shoved into the 4" Smiths housing to the far left.

Ignition will be on the tranny tunnel.

Let the soldering begin!

Offline salt27

« Reply #4880 on: March 24, 2015, 03:19:26 AM »
Seems like it should have a Banjo steering wheel, oh wait you said rock and roll.

Never mind.   :roll:

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #4881 on: March 24, 2015, 05:08:33 AM »
So cool! I love the switch off the Les Paul for your hi beams. Can't wait to see more.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4882 on: March 24, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »
Pom Rod Dash update -

Simple, clean, and absolutely rock-and-roll.  Covered with Fender amplifier tolex/vinyl.

Telecaster chrome switchplate.  Left slider is for the lights, 3 position Stratocaster switch, off, driving lights and headlights.  The knob in the center is actually a push button with a Telecaster knob fitted to it for the horn, the knob to the far right is a 2 position rotary switch for the wipers.

The Treble/Rhythm switch is from a Les Paul - operates the high and low beams.

Unadulterated and unfettered fraternization between Fender and Gibson parts!!!!

“Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!”

“Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes! Volcanoes!”

“The dead rising from the grave!”

“Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!”

The end of the world is near.

I guess I should start drinking early today . . . . . . . you know . . . . . . just in case!!
StantzSpenglerZeddemoreVenkmanboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4883 on: March 24, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Seems like it should have a Banjo steering wheel, oh wait you said rock and roll.

Never mind.   :roll:

I've met a lot of banjo players over the years, but I've never met a musician who was a banjo player.

Fordboy, I didn't know you were a student of eschatological studies. 

Either way, let the tribulation begin.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4884 on: March 24, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
Not a hijack, if you will, but a request for information on the Bloodhound.  I got an email about the BH today and want to post it for all -- but I don't remember if we've got a separate topic set up for that car.  I searched for Bloodhound and absolute lsr -- and nope.  So would one of youse (or more than one) let me know if and where there's stuff on the project?  Thanks.

Over to you, Chris
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4885 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »

Fordboy, I didn't know you were a student of eschatological studies. 

I gave it up after December 21, 2012.    Worst apocalypse ever . . . . . . .  :roll:

I'm just a Gibson acolyte at heart.

'67 EB2DC      Best bass, ever.     Wish I still had mine . . . . . . . .   :cry:
F/B

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4886 on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
Not a hijack, if you will, but a request for information on the Bloodhound.  I got an email about the BH today and want to post it for all -- but I don't remember if we've got a separate topic set up for that car.  I searched for Bloodhound and absolute lsr -- and nope.  So would one of youse (or more than one) let me know if and where there's stuff on the project?  Thanks.

Over to you, Chris

Stefan Marjoram set it up.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,12566.0.html

Driven by Andy Green.

Who attempted to put an MG in the record books in 1998.

But didn't.

Because they didn't "Keep Calm and Carry Spares!"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4887 on: March 24, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
Thanks, Chris.  I'll get that stuff posted in a while.  Right now I'm in the middle of final art production for a bunch of race shirts.

And now back to the original MM topic. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4888 on: March 24, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
Never fear -- that station wagon wouldn't qualify as a GT anyway.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4889 on: March 24, 2015, 05:04:39 PM »
midget,

Whilst perusing the DLRA site for news, I just happened to notice that I/GT is an open record at Lake Gairdner . . . . . .

Could this be a "bucket list" item?

Transport over on a raft, "Kon-Tiki" style?

F/B