Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3270163 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4845 on: March 16, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »
Crank(y) thoughts . . . . . .

midget,

Some thoughts, re: the big ticket, longest delivery item on the build list.

1)  Hub dimension modified to suit BMC trans/flywheel and necessary adaptor plate thickness.

2)  Retain standard pilot bushing layout to suit existing input shaft.

3)  De-stroked for 998/999cc's displacement.

4)  Rod journal diameter sized for a readily available high quality rod bearing, say Honda . . . .

5)  Crank drilled for "low pressure" oiling strategy.

6)  Crank oiling "prioritized" for:  Thrust oiling from 1 main journal.  Remaining main journals each feed the adjacent rod bearing as per #5.

Anything I missed?
 :cheers:
Fordboy

Somewhere page or two back Chris mentioned a 56mm stroke to give 989 leaving room for a 0.5 ( I presume mm so about .020) over bore and staying under the 1015cc limit. I haven't done the math but I think a stroke that gives 998 or 999 might not allow a similar, assuming standard, overbore. Have to watch availability of rings when you get into odd bore sizes. Don't ask how I know that...... :oops: :oops:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4846 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
True, Jack.  I'm looking at ring packs as I make these decisions. 

Mark may not have caught that adjustment, but I'm still not sure what we'll be doing with the bores at the moment.

Thanks for keeping an eye on us!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4847 on: March 17, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »
Crank(y) thoughts . . . . . .

midget,

Some thoughts, re: the big ticket, longest delivery item on the build list.

1)  Hub dimension modified to suit BMC trans/flywheel and necessary adaptor plate thickness.

2)  Retain standard pilot bushing layout to suit existing input shaft.

3)  De-stroked for 998/999cc's displacement.

4)  Rod journal diameter sized for a readily available high quality rod bearing, say Honda . . . .

5)  Crank drilled for "low pressure" oiling strategy.

6)  Crank oiling "prioritized" for:  Thrust oiling from 1 main journal.  Remaining main journals each feed the adjacent rod bearing as per #5.

Anything I missed?
Fordboy

Somewhere page or two back Chris mentioned a 56mm stroke to give 989 leaving room for a 0.5 ( I presume mm so about .020) over bore and staying under the 1015cc limit. I haven't done the math but I think a stroke that gives 998 or 999 might not allow a similar, assuming standard, overbore. Have to watch availability of rings when you get into odd bore sizes. Don't ask how I know that...... :oops: :oops:

Nothing fixed yet, except relatively std block height.     I'm running possiblilties at the moment, with the idea of an even metric bore diameter or .50mm increment, for just the reasons you stated.    Since the crank is special, it can be any stroke.

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4848 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
True, Jack.  I'm looking at ring packs as I make these decisions. 

Mark may not have caught that adjustment, but I'm still not sure what we'll be doing with the bores at the moment.

Thanks for keeping an eye on us!  :cheers:

midget,

I thought the limit was 1008cc's.    Was I incorrect?

More importantly, how hard to you want me to push it against the limit?

I know, I know  . . . . . . READ THE RULE BOOK!!!!!!

:dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:
Fordboy

P.S.   Say Hi!   to the crowd at McBob's tonight.    At least you'll be able to crawl the 6 blocks to home . . . . . :wink:
F/B

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4849 on: March 17, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »

I thought the limit was 1008cc's.    Was I incorrect?

More importantly, how hard to you want me to push it against the limit?

Fordboy

P.S.   Say Hi!   to the crowd at McBob's tonight.    At least you'll be able to crawl the 6 blocks to home . . . . . :wink:
F/B

I = 46.00 to 61.99 cid  or 0.754 to 1.015 L

I'd like you to look at the bores and sleeves before we pull the trigger.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4850 on: March 17, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
Midget n EngineTweekerBoy, if you want to deck the block, you could talk to Gates about belt availability.  I was recently introduced to a belt drive engineer at Gates.  I could send you some contact info if you want to help in picking your direction.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4851 on: March 17, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
Midget n EngineTweekerBoy, if you want to deck the block, you could talk to Gates about belt availability.  I was recently introduced to a belt drive engineer at Gates.  I could send you some contact info if you want to help in picking your direction.

Thanks, Stainless, but other than a spark-out skim for flatness, we do NOT want to deck the block, for a number of reasons.

1. The through-bolts that attach the head through the cylinder case and to the girdle would probably have to be custom cut.  I shudder to think what ARP would charge for that.

2.  The water pump drives off of the timing belt, and yes, we could dummy up an idler and go with an outboard pump, but between that and the tensioner adjustment, the engineering is already in place and is reliable.

3.  The end goal is about a 120 - 130 hp DOHC 4 valve.  We're pretty confident that can be achieved without having to dance too close to the edge.

4.  Most importantly - at the end of the day, I'm the poor SOB that will have to put it together.  I need to make it goof-proof, because sometimes, I'm a goof.  :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4852 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »
Cool bit of info from my e-mail subscriptions - confirming the return of the Krazy Kiwis in August . . .

http://project64mini.com/2015/03/17/its-official-were-heading-back-to-bonneville-in-august/

A mini with a chute . . .  :cheers:

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #4853 on: March 18, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
Yeah--I was in their workshop on Monday discussing a few things with Guy. I will send him the 2015 Rule Revisions, providing that some helpful Computer savy fellow can send them to me, maybe a PDF?

I am back in Washington as I write this, but will be returning to New Zealand next week, as my Mum passed away the night I got on the plane to come back. The last two weeks have not been good. I`m having a hard time with this. Just coping the best I can...... :cry:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4854 on: March 18, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »
Paul - my sympathies. 

The changes are posted - Jon put them up on the main page, if that's of any help -

http://www.landracing.com/index.php/2-news-and-articles/news/402-2015-rulebook-changes

Safe travels, and again, condolences, from both Kate and myself.

Oh, and tell them that once they launch, they're supposed to keep their face shield DOWN . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2VHyMAv1dU

With an 80" wheelbase at 150 mph, salt in the eyes would be no fun at all.  :wink:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4855 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:12 PM »

I am back in Washington as I write this, but will be returning to New Zealand next week, as my Mum passed away the night I got on the plane to come back. The last two weeks have not been good. I`m having a hard time with this. Just coping the best I can...... :cry:

Sorry to hear it Paul.     It's, well, just keep puttin' one foot in front of the other, until the numbness subsides . . . . . .    I wish I had better advice, but I don't.

You start by forgiving yourself for the things you didn't have any control over.     And consider, control is just . . . . .  an illusion  . . . . . . .

One day at a time buddy . . . . .
Fordboy

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4856 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:56 PM »
Paul, You're in my thoughts. Wayno

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4857 on: March 19, 2015, 02:02:28 AM »
Paul sorry for your loss. Safe travels.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4858 on: March 20, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
midget,

Spoke with Greg Rody by phone yesterday for a few minutes about resolving an oiling problem on MGB race crankshafts.

While I had his attention, I asked about adding a BMC type hub onto the rear end of a Rover crank, using Honda rods, destroking, etc.     His reply was no problem, I just need a sketch of what you want changed from the original crank.

I did not ask about the length of time to delivery . . . . . . . .
Fordboy

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4859 on: March 20, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »
midget,

I did not ask about the length of time to delivery . . . . . . . .
Fordboy
Good thing you are not trying for 2015 :)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019