Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3271714 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4815 on: March 02, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
midget,

Inquiring minds want to know who won the Chili Pepper races at the 13th Annual Rockabilly Chili Fundraiser held in Beerhaven yesterday.

I know that the "Red" pepper appeared to win the 12:00 race.    What about the protest rumor?

Complete Race report please . . . . . .

Chili cook off winners too please, if known.
 :cheers:
LouiesDemiseboy

Well, there were supposed to have been 4 chili peppers racing.

I understand the #44 chili was finally found on an abandoned stretch of road by a self proclaimed horticulturist - and I doubt he was growing peppers - who lived in the trailer park "up the road a piece", but they had pulled the entry before the preliminary "heats".

This from last year's event - they were up 15% this year over last, thanks in large part to Fordboy showing up . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-eRQ32MR0

As to the winners -

http://www.wmse.org/winners-13th-annual-rockabilly-chili/

McBobs is a hang-out of mine, and despite their dominance in the "Best Heat" division, I much prefer their corned beef on rye.

WMSE - 91.7, Frontier Radio - is a local station operating out of the Milwaukee School of Engineering.  They play more locally and regionally produced music than any station in the state, and other than the building they operate out of, which is provided for by MSOE, they are completely funded by listeners.

47 different chili recipes to choose from this year - I only made it to a dozen.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4816 on: March 02, 2015, 09:28:10 PM »
I love your new avatar, Chris.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4817 on: March 02, 2015, 10:00:34 PM »
I'm fairly certain I'm not the first one to bastardize the original.

Jeff Foxworthy once said, "You know you're a redneck when you have more car parts in your trunk than under your hood", but what do you call a British sports car owner who leaves home without 'em?

Stranded.

Here's the "do-it-yourself" kit . . .

http://www.keepcalmandcarryon.com/

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4818 on: March 03, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
I'm fairly certain I'm not the first one to bastardize the original.

Jeff Foxworthy once said, "You know you're a redneck when you have more car parts in your trunk than under your hood", but what do you call a British sports car owner who leaves home without 'em?

Stranded.

Here's the "do-it-yourself" kit . . .

http://www.keepcalmandcarryon.com/

Way cool!!

Now if you are Slim you:   Keep calm and carry wood . . . . to the fire . . . .

Stay warm Slim, Spring is "only" 13 days away . . . . . . . :roll:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4819 on: March 03, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »

47 different chili recipes to choose from this year - I only made it to a dozen.

Only made it to 12 myself.     And then some body parts got set on fire . . . . . . . .

Apparently,    not enough Louis' Demise . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4820 on: March 03, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »

Now if you are Slim you:   Keep calm and carry wood

Or if you're a Cubs fan --

Keep Calm and Kerry Wood.

Cactus league starts today - so screw the snow, it's SPRING!  :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4821 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:17 AM »
I love your new avatar, Chris.

Wait 'till you see the next avatar, the one for the Bugeye . . . . .

KEEP CALM
       and
CARRY BOP
   PARTS

:cheers:  :dhorse:  :cheers:
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4822 on: March 03, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »

Now if you are Slim you:   Keep calm and carry wood

Or if you're a Cubs fan --

Keep Calm and Kerry Wood.

Cactus league starts today - so screw the snow, it's SPRING!  :cheers:

Ah yes, Cubs Fans . . . . . . .

That insignificant slice of humanity even more optimistic than those who live in dey YOOP PEE!!!
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Cubscuredmeofbaseballin1969boy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4823 on: March 03, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »

Stay warm Slim, Spring is "only" 13 days away . . . . . . . :roll:
Fordboy

OOOPS!!   Spring is 17 days away . . . . .

DAM*!!     Guess that makes me an optimist too . . . . . .

DRAT!!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4824 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:02 AM »
Okay, Fordboy - back to work on the K - which we are now upgrading to an N for political reasons, which I'll explain over the phone.

Specs are looking like this -

56 mm stroke gets us 989 cc, and if we need to overbore by .5, we're at 1003, which is still under the 1015 class limit.

The Honda Acura rods are the best bet as far as size is concerned - 137 mm in a 201 deck height, provided we can get by with a 35mm pin height.  Stock crown height is about 20 on a Rover 1.4 slipper piston.  It's about 36 on an A series non-slipper slug.

This puts us at a 2.43 R/S ratio.

The stock Acura rods, by the way, are rev limited @ 7900 in the factory programming for a 1.8 @ 130 hp and a 89 mm stroke.  Haven't done the math backwards yet, but I'm thinking properly prepped, they might be strong enough?

Yup - Spring is in the air.  In an exhibition game in Arizona, the Brewers beat my UWM Panthers 8-0.  I think that's pretty cool, that they'd put a university team and a professional team on the same field during training.  I graduated from UWM, but I'm not sure if I drank more beer at the Gasthaus at the Union, or in the seats at County Stadium/Miller Park.

But the important thing to me is - as long as they're playing baseball in March, it's spring.

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #4825 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »
I have seen several guys that turbo completely stock acura ls 1.8l engines to well over 300 hp (closer to 400) and turn over 8500 rpm. No, they dont last much more than a drag racing season with 3 weekends at the track, but it mostly ended up being the liners that split amd head gasket issues prior to rod failure.

But destroked down to 1.0l they ought to easily handle 200 hp at 9k(or more) for an extended period of time.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4826 on: March 05, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »

Okay, Fordboy - back to work on the K - which we are now upgrading to an N for political reasons, which I'll explain over the phone.

The stock Acura rods, by the way, are rev limited @ 7900 in the factory programming for a 1.8 @ 130 hp and a 89 mm stroke.  Haven't done the math backwards yet, but I'm thinking properly prepped, they might be strong enough?

Without looking at them, hard to tell.    But, prepped, shot peened, arp bolts, etc, probably OK.     I think decent rod bearings are available for the application, but need to check.    Fly in the ointment is probably the pin end bore diameter, likely too large for a small pin, reduced skirt piston.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-detail.php?RecordID=1282

But I'd say:   Gird your loins/wallet for a set of Carrillos with 3/8ths SPS or ARP bolts . . . . .  matched up with CP pistons using a 5/8ths or 15mm wrist pin . . . . . .

Yeah I know, I'm not writing the checks . . . . . . . . .

Fordboy

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4827 on: March 05, 2015, 12:39:26 PM »

Without looking at them, hard to tell.    But, prepped, shot peened, arp bolts, etc, probably OK.     I think decent rod bearings are available for the application, but need to check.    Fly in the ointment is probably the pin end bore diameter, likely too large for a small pin, reduced skirt piston.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-detail.php?RecordID=1282

But I'd say:   Gird your loins/wallet for a set of Carrillos with 3/8ths SPS or ARP bolts . . . . .  matched up with CP pistons using a 5/8ths or 15mm wrist pin . . . . . .

Yeah I know, I'm not writing the checks . . . . . . . . .

Fordboy

How about a Crower rod ( I use and have been very happy). The have a sale on for a rod that might work. Acura, B93726B-4 ( set of 4 for $499, regular $883). 5.394long (137mm), 1.89 bore x 0.898 wide big end, 0.748 (19mm) pin. Could you bush it down some- maybe not to 15mm but some? http://www.crower.com/connecting-rods/billet-crowerods-acura-integra-1-6-86-698.html
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4828 on: March 05, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
Jack, that's pretty close to what I expect we'll be looking at.

And by the time I bought a used stock set, had 'em sized, magged and shot peened, we'd likely be looking only a few dollars more to go first class.

Mr. Noonan and I talked about Wossner pistons last December in Indianapolis - Wossner has the CAD programs for the MG crown on in their magic glowing picture box program CAD/CAM thingamabob, which would be one less thing to reinvent, and he indicated they could cut the pin hole just about anywhere and any size we might need.

Let me get the specs finalized.  I want to actually mic the deck height - I measured it with a ruler.
Thanks!

Chris

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4829 on: March 05, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
Chris- one point about those Crowers is the sale at a buck and a quarter each (half price!). Who knows how long they might be discounted? But you have to be sure they fit the bill too.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019