Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3271544 times)

Offline Frankenhealey

• New folks
  • Born to race - forced to work
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4755 on: January 30, 2015, 11:57:29 AM »
Hi Chris,

It's begging time!

Can you please find out the inside height of your hardtop from the top of the doors? The Lenham's roof line seems to be a lot lower :-(

Cheers,

Ian

1954 Chevy Healey V8
1956 Bedford RHLZ Racecar Transporter
1971 SpridJET (hopefully coming soon to a Salt Flat near you)
Hare and Tortoise Racing - Scuderia Astuto Piano - Ecurie Albion Perfide - Rennabteilung Sturm und Drang

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4756 on: January 31, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
Chris,

In the process of gathering an all inclusive image folder of all the MM images.    Want a copy when it's finished?   Might be BIG . . .  may need to go on a DD, er, DVD . . .   :roll:
 :cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4757 on: January 31, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
Hi Chris,

It's begging time!

Can you please find out the inside height of your hardtop from the top of the doors? The Lenham's roof line seems to be a lot lower :-(

Cheers,

Ian

Hi, Ian -

From the drip rail to the top of the door sill is 32 cm.

There's a lip that extends down on the inside of the window another cm, so if you're looking to play NASCAR, you've got 31 cm to slip through.

I can get you some more measurements, if it's a cage you're building.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4758 on: January 31, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
Chris,

In the process of gathering an all inclusive image folder of all the MM images.    Want a copy when it's finished?   Might be BIG . . .  may need to go on a DD, er, DVD . . .   :roll:
F/B

This is good news - it means Fordboy has his computer working again.

Welcome back to the 21st century, and yes, I'll take 'em!  Just dump 'em off onto a disc.

Graci!   :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4759 on: February 04, 2015, 12:04:03 AM »
Some of the photos I took on the 2014 expedition to the Salt:

I'll let Chris post descriptions of the photos.

Fordboy

Got it, Chief.

Well, first off, despite Fordboy's aptitude for all things mathematical, he clearly has no idea how to correct the photo-date function on his camera.

That's okay - he remembered to bring the bottle opener. :cheers:

Ahhhem,

While it's true I didn't bother to correct the date function on my digital camera at the time, I had no idea what a pain in the a$$ it would be to remove the incorrect date tag from the photo image.

After much on-line research, and disappointment, I've discovered a freeware photo editor with most of the features of Photoshop, without the high cost.  The product is Gimp Photo editor.

http://getgimp.com/info/get-gimp-free/?pk=6542&c=Getgimp_US_Exact

As with any fully featured software, there is a steep learning curve, but there is also the sweetness of the price.

For someone like me who does very little photo editing, it looks like Gimp is the answer to putting a donkey's head on my brother in all our family photos . . . . . .   :-D, but Porkpie doesn't have anything to worry about.

AND, the camera is now set for NO DATE/TIME STAMP . . . . .     PLUS, an extra bottle opener is in the camera bag . . . . . . .  :-D  :-D
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4760 on: February 04, 2015, 08:12:04 AM »
Forgot to add that Gimp requires Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8

It helps to have a fast CPU . . . .
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4761 on: February 06, 2015, 06:48:26 AM »
Earth to planet midget in the Beerhaven galaxy . . . . .

Suspect your lack of posting is due to temperatures cold enough to bring all molecular activity to a halt.

No wait.   That's where Slim lives.  :roll:

Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4762 on: February 08, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »
Neil was asking, so I'll put this up -

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/4882098018.html

Now here's the real deal.

I left the craigslist ad a little vague, because I've had mixed results with the format, and have had issues with flakes not following through.  I'd rather get a text or a phone call and talk straight up with a potential customer, find out what they're about and qualify them a little better.  My intention with the Craigslist ad is to get this stuff out of my basement/attic/garage.

Now with my friends here on LR.com, I consider you pre-qualified.  If there's something you need from either one of these engines, I feel confident enough with this crowd to spend some time and do some measurements, and dig a little deeper.

So yes, I'll part these out here, and accept reasonable offers, provided it makes sense for both of us.  And if something sells through here, I'll send Slim a check for 10% of the sale price.

PM me with any questions.

Cheers!  :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4763 on: February 08, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »
Brideshead, er, Abingdon, Revisited . . . . . . . . Part One . . . . .

midget,

For your permanent copybook . . . . .    from dynothon part one, segments A & B, 2013 . . . .

you might notice that the photo dates are correct . . . .  :roll:

Fordboy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:05:50 PM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4764 on: February 08, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »
Brideshead, er, Abingdon, Revisited . . . . . . . . Part Deux . . . . .

midget,

From dynothon part deux, 2014 . . . . .

Sorry, no photo dates in the picture.   There's a date in the data file though.    Correct date? ?    Go fish . . . . . .

Some of the photo focus is poor but that's all the dyno photos that I have.   Still gathering & organizing other photos I took of your build.    Will require a pretty big collection for DVD when finished.   All the photos I have posted on your diary, are on my Photobucket account, which is public.    I think anyone can grab them from there if they wish.

BTW, put all the dyno and Bonneville photos into a slide show for my computer wallpaper on both of my computers.   I'm really enjoying them.

Fordboy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:07:53 PM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4765 on: February 10, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
New power plant diary  OR,   'A'  Vs. 'K'

midget,

Just downloaded a nifty program which calculates "flow demand" based on geometry, and presumably, other parameters like V/E.

Spiffy part is: that it also can graph the calculations Vs. crank position.

It was cheap enough, so I'm going to play around with it a bit and let you know what I think.   Probably has somewhat limited features based on the price, but again, I'll let you know.
Fordboy

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4766 on: February 11, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
New power plant diary  OR,   'A'  Vs. 'K'

midget,

Just downloaded a nifty program which calculates "flow demand" based on geometry, and presumably, other parameters like V/E.

Spiffy part is: that it also can graph the calculations Vs. crank position.

It was cheap enough, so I'm going to play around with it a bit and let you know what I think.   Probably has somewhat limited features based on the price, but again, I'll let you know.
Fordboy

What is your new "nifty" program?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4767 on: February 11, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »

What is your new "nifty" program?

CamFlowRPM    from Schmidt Motor works

only $20 for a downloaded copy

http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com/

KEEP IN MIND . . .  This is a $20 program . . . . .   I think it has value for the graphic capability, but I am still playing around with it.   I like the feature which allows a flow capability comparison between 2 differing camshafts with a measured cylinder head flow.    I think the intake function is the value of this program, and am not concerned about evaluating the exhaust flow capability/accuracy at this time.   The program makes some assumptions about the cam profile, presumably to keep it simple to use.   I would prefer the usage of an accurate cam lobe profile to convert to valve motion, BUT, that makes the program WAY more complicated and WAY more expensive than $20

One other note of warning.  This program REQUIRES accurate input information.    If you are going to guess about required input values, it is going to be a case of GIGO.

Let's be honest, a program such as this cannot provide the insight of more powerful, more expensive analysis software.    I nonetheless expect it to be useful.
Fordboy

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4768 on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »
Looks interesting but without cam profile curves I'm stuck. Is there a library somewhere that has manufacturer's cam profile numbers?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4769 on: February 12, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »
Looks interesting but without cam profile curves I'm stuck. Is there a library somewhere that has manufacturer's cam profile numbers?

Of course cam manufacturers can provide you with the information you need.    Whether they will or not is another thing.    It helps to ask the tech support folks nicely.    If your cam grinder is unwilling to provide you with technical support like this, you probably need a different cam grinder . . . . . .

You need to use "effective" duration, which is the duration at the lift, and lash, specified.    And "net" lift, ie gross lift minus the lash also.

I'm in the process of evaluating how accurate I think this is, compared to more expensive programs that use the "whole" cam profile.    If your cam profile(s) is(are) asymmetrical, that is going to skew the results, which lessens the value.
Fordboy