Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3267088 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4650 on: December 01, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »
OK, thanks Chris.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4651 on: December 06, 2014, 12:06:08 AM »
Off topic, but progress on the Pom Rod, aka, the Buick Bugeye.

I had Mel at C&S build up some weld to create spread-bore bosses on the stock 215 4 barrel manifold.  He then bored out the intake and tapped threads to accept the Holley carb that came with the pile-o-parts.

The other option was to go with an Edelbrock Performer manifold, but this combination sits fully 1 1/4 inch lower than the Performer does.  It's my hope I can avoid perforating the hood, but if I do, at least it won't look like a Rat Fink cartoon.

I've got to pull out the Dremel and clearance the accelerator pump and the idle adjuster, but once I switch it over to a manual choke, everything should line up pretty darned nice.  The lighting reflection is a bit deceiving.  The flange is flat, and while there is a little bit of a biff on the flange, it's nothing the gasket won't seal up . . .

I doubt this manifold flows as well as the Edelbrock aftermarket piece, but realistically, if it flows no worse than a stock 215 4 barrel, I'll still be quadrupling the power of the stock 948 that it's replacing.

I'm not too worried.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:07:59 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Podunk

« Reply #4652 on: December 07, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »
That manifold looks a lot cleaner than the last time I saw it. REALLY glad it went to a good home.

Terry

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4653 on: December 07, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »
Terry, it's cleaning up very nicely - but I am going through a LOT of Simple Green, and I'm still vacuuming up acorn shells . . .  :-D

Yes, it went to a good home.  Target is March 1st - Kate's birthday.  Weather permitting, I'll take her out for Chicken Fried Tofu and a slice of Oatmeal Crème Pie at the Palomino. 

I love my vegi girl, but I'll probably opt for the BLT . . .

Mark and I will be in Indianapolis Thursday about noon.  We're looking to catch the press conference with Burton and Woody at the Victory Motorsports display at 2:30, booth 7001.

That's a wild looking motor they've come up with.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4654 on: December 08, 2014, 01:57:32 AM »
What does "twin vector induction" amount to? (couldn't find the answer with a short search).
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4655 on: December 08, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
What does "twin vector induction" amount to? (couldn't find the answer with a short search).

I'll be grilling Woody on that Thursday.

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4656 on: December 08, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »

Short answer - more HP!  :-D Count the stacks Jack!  :-o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4657 on: December 13, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »

Short answer - more HP!  :-D Count the stacks Jack!  :-o
That system is amazing- I'm not sure they have a website or any online info. the designer runs two ports to each intake valve (2) to give tumble as well as swirl in the chamber, flows well and makes gobs of power on an engine that is running old design cams and other stuff.. Wait till they develop it! And the head casting (the designer poured it himself- literally- after 3D printing the sand molds!!) looks like a production piece.

Woody- very nice to chat with you Thursday, sorry I missed Chris and Fordboy.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4658 on: December 14, 2014, 02:30:59 AM »
Jack, I didn't get in 'till late on Thursday - and the time zone switch goofed me up as well, so I was later than I would have been by an hour.

Mark was unable to attend - but I did.  Had great conversations with Woody and Harold Bettes - yet another guy I'm certain I'd lose money to in a poker game.  Podunk arrived on Friday, and we caught dinner and a beer.  I also stopped by Terry's place on the way back, and he showed me the archives.  A great, extended weekend for me.  Just what the doctor ordered before a headlong plunge into the holidays.

But the topper of it all was talking to David Vizard again.  Anybody who's read this long-winded tale knows I spent probably 4 years with his book, "Tuning the A Series Engine" as my constant companion.  My copy is dog-eared, the binding is cracked, and there are notes written in the margins and bookmarked with post-it notes throughout.  It's well worn, and never far from reach.

This year, I thought to bring it with me.

I have three autographs that I will never part with.  Les Paul signed a box set edition for me.  Dave Edmunds autographed my copy of "Hand Picked Musical Fantasies", a limited edition CD - so limited that it was only sold directly to fans and doesn't even have a UPC seal on it.

But this is the one that means the most to me -

Woody, thanks for greasing the rails on that one for me!   :cheers:

Sunshine - Vizard's doing seminars in Melbourne in March.  Seems he ran a Buick V6 in a Monza at Bonneville . . .

. . . just sayin' . . .

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4659 on: December 14, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »
Wow Chris!!! I'm not an autograph seeker, I'd rather have a quiet conversation with the personality and I've had several of those opportunities over the years. I value the memories much more highly than I would a signature. I do have several signed books and when you can connect those with a story it makes the book so much more valuable to you. That is a great keepsake.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4660 on: December 14, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
Only autograph I have is Al Teague's.  Don't think I need any more.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4661 on: December 14, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Wow Chris!!! I'm not an autograph seeker, I'd rather have a quiet conversation with the personality and I've had several of those opportunities over the years. I value the memories much more highly than I would a signature. I do have several signed books and when you can connect those with a story it makes the book so much more valuable to you. That is a great keepsake.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

And I was able to have court with him for a while last year and this year.  He's naturally chatty, but he also has a handler/assistant that travels with him to keep geeks like myself from eating up his entire day.

Our conversation gave me the great pleasure of knowing the folks at Edelbrock were kept waiting . . .  nyaa, nyaa . . .  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4662 on: December 16, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
Recently had a great sit-sown with out local NPR affiliate station, WUWM, 89.7 FM.

Mitch Teich, the host, was originally from Iowa and went to school not 10 miles away from where I grew up, so we had a lot in common. 

It must have been a pretty good offer to move to Wisconsin - he was the news director for Arizona Public Radio when he took this job!

If you want to hear it, it's available at this link.

http://wuwm.com/post/tuesday-lake-effect-northwestern-mutual-odonnell-park-attracting-tech-start-ups

The interview starts at 36:18.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4663 on: December 16, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »
Excellent interview Chris. Well done!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4664 on: December 16, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
I was particularly pleased that they chose "Booker T. and the M.G.s" for the bumper music.

BOOYAH!   Steve Cropper for President!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: