Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3267654 times)

Offline Crackerman

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4125 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
What the hell is a plinth?

Thats a very manageable list. I cant wait to see it kick some butt!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4126 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »

The plinth is the part of the grill that holds the MG emblem in place.

Yeah, this is stupid from a racing standpoint, but there's a bit of a story behind it.

Neil was over visiting our pit last year, and while I tried to tighten the loose emblem, the nut fell off of the plinth.  I tried fishing it out with a magnet, but the nut was stainless, so I never got around to reinstalling it.

Fast forward - the "100 years of Bonneville" book comes out, and just above a picture of the BMR coupe - a car and a team I have held in high esteem for years and was one of my inspirations - is a picture of the Midget.

And the authors referred to my MG as an Austin Healey Sprite.     :x

I know - badge engineering - but despite the fact that the car graphics include a HUGE OCTAGON that include the car's number and class, I was a little miffed by the misidentification.

Part of what I'm doing is trying to reintroduce an MG into the record books.  Goldie Gardner, Phil Hill, George Eyston - all members of the 200 mph club - all raced MGs on the salt.

So the plinth goes on with a shiny new MG logo badge, which will give me the right to yell at people -

"IT'SAGODDAMNEDMGITSAYSSORIGHTONTHEFRICKINGRILLYOUDORK!"   :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #4127 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »
Don't forget your log book.  :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

gkabbt

« Reply #4128 on: July 25, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »

Too funny.....ROTFLMFAO!!!!  :-D  :-D  :-D

Check list looks decent so get'em done then gitter done on the Salt!

Good luck and I'll be listening to the audio stream daily!

Gregg

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4129 on: July 25, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »

The plinth is the part of the grill that holds the MG emblem in place.

Yeah, this is stupid from a racing standpoint, but there's a bit of a story behind it.

Neil was over visiting our pit last year, and while I tried to tighten the loose emblem, the nut fell off of the plinth.  I tried fishing it out with a magnet, but the nut was stainless, so I never got around to reinstalling it.

Fast forward - the "100 years of Bonneville" book comes out, and just above a picture of the BMR coupe - a car and a team I have held in high esteem for years and was one of my inspirations - is a picture of the Midget.

And the authors referred to my MG as an Austin Healey Sprite.     :x

I know - badge engineering - but despite the fact that the car graphics include a HUGE OCTAGON that include the car's number and class, I was a little miffed by the misidentification.

Part of what I'm doing is trying to reintroduce an MG into the record books.  Goldie Gardner, Phil Hill, George Eyston - all members of the 200 mph club - all raced MGs on the salt.

So the plinth goes on with a shiny new MG logo badge, which will give me the right to yell at people -

Right!  :cheers: 

Magnets won't work to retrieve small stainless fasteners but chewing gum on the end of a stick will  :-D  In the Army we called this "field expediency".

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4130 on: July 26, 2014, 02:15:52 AM »
The ultimate in fuel efficiency? One gallon of gas? :-o [Or is that some other 'gas' other than gasoline?]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4131 on: July 26, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
The ultimate in fuel efficiency? One gallon of gas? :-o [Or is that some other 'gas' other than gasoline?]

That's just to check to see that the drivetrain is working, the fuel system isn't leaking, and to make the neighbors crazy.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4132 on: July 26, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
ROTFLMAO---At my age the F part is hard to come by---lol

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4133 on: July 29, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »
Well, it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a thrash this year.  :|

Nobody to blame but the guy in the mirror.

The electric radiator fan seems to have lost its will to survive.  If I had half a brain, I would have tested it BEFORE I installed the radiator and buried it behind the grill.  Radiator comes out Wednesday night - Advance Auto has one on the shelf.  Once the car is out of 1st gear, I switch it off and let the wind take over, but it's critical to keeping the Grenade from boiling over while waiting in line, and cooling it down after a run.

To make matters worse, the really nice used tach I bought from Bill a few years back didn't survive the gravitational challenge of Chris Clutzrad.  At first, I thought it might have been my new dash wiring job.  But checking that with an old Smith's tach from an MGB informed me that yes, I'm pretty good at this wiring harness stuff - it's my ability to not drop things that I need to work on.

It'll all get sorted this week, and I don't THINK there's anything left around the corner that will bite me in the arse.

Still . . .  :roll:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4134 on: July 29, 2014, 08:26:52 AM »

The electric radiator fan seems to have lost its will to survive.  If I had half a brain, I would have tested it BEFORE I installed the radiator and buried it behind the grill.  Radiator comes out Wednesday night - Advance Auto has one on the shelf.  Once the car is out of 1st gear, I switch it off and let the wind take over, but it's critical to keeping the Grenade from boiling over while waiting in line, and cooling it down after a run.

To make matters worse, the really nice used tach I bought from Bill a few years back didn't survive the gravitational challenge of Chris Clutzrad.  At first, I thought it might have been my new dash wiring job.  But checking that with an old Smith's tach from an MGB informed me that yes, I'm pretty good at this wiring harness stuff - it's my ability to not drop things that I need to work on.

Rats Chris, since my chances of setting a record are slim I was hoping to  see my old tach get a trip to impound. If you had a mechanical tach drive I have two jones/moroso tachs I would send you.

It'll all get sorted this week, and I don't THINK there's anything left around the corner that will bite me in the arse.

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4135 on: July 29, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »

Rats Chris, since my chances of setting a record are slim I was hoping to  see my old tach get a trip to impound. If you had a mechanical tach drive I have two jones/moroso tachs I would send you.

Thanks, Bill.

I can get you half way there - the shift light and bracket are still in place.

That was a really nice tach, though. 

I damn near threw my knee out kicking myself in the butt . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4136 on: July 29, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »
Okay, here is a link for everyone who wants to get smarter . . . .   It is Nascar-centric, but the science applies to all engines . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZCnG1HwDM#t=1148

45 minutes and worth every second.
 cheers
Fordboy

P.S. this is the same link I put up on my Race Engines 101 thread.
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4137 on: July 30, 2014, 01:01:21 AM »
Okay - after calling my local guys - C&S, Pegasus, et al, I was unable to get a new tach, so I went with the mail-order guys in Ohio.  Always prefer putting faces with products, but along with the tach, they included a free voltage gauge.

I was thinking they must be high, but then I thought of their name and realized - yes, they are.

I don't have room for it in the dash, but I suspect I can wire it up in the trunk by the battery and it might prove helpful letting me know when it's time to recharge.  Turn everything on, have someone crank the starter, see how far it drops.  An ammeter would be a better bet, but they didn't offer me a free one.

Tires are on, the air bags are pumped up - 9:00 AM Wednesday, I'll be dropping it off for alignment.  Eric thinks he's going to get it on the elevated rack.  As low as it's sitting, I need to jack up the tongue of the trailer to clear the exhaust on the ramps.  And seeing as it won't launch below 6 K and it has no brakes on the front, well, I'm thinking he's going to be pulling out his old-school 1950's vintage Bear toys.

Offline Rob

« Reply #4138 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:45 AM »
Remember Chris,

Photos or it didn't happen!

See you on the salt,
Rob

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4139 on: July 30, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
MM, always charge your battery during your 4 hours in impound  :-D no matter what the gauge says
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O