Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3270437 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4095 on: July 16, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »
Who uses chrome these days?
Tom

Occasionally, while out and traveling with Kate in the MGB, a Miata or a Boxter will catch her eye.

At that point, I get all high and mighty and declare -

"That is not a true sports car.  Real sports cars have chrome!"

Yeah, I guess I'm a luddite . . . but I agree with wheelerdealer -

pits in chrome is like a scar on your hand...that's experience!

My chrome trim has experience!

BR

To experienced chrome!  :cheers:

The trim looks fine - I'm not really worried about it.

Besides, most of it is back on the car, and I intend to leave it there.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4096 on: July 17, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »
pits in chrome is like a scare on your hand...that's experience!

My chrome trim has experience!

BR

Ahhh, wouldn't the pits in the chrome create little surface vortices?    Sorta like dimples on a golf ball?    Being an engine guy, I have no idea whether it would help or hurt the aero drag . . . . . . .

I say go with what the F1 guys currently do:   Wax the crap out of everything to make it super-slippery.   Leave the pits if they help, fill 'em with wax if they hurt.   What do you think Woody?

Just sayin'
 :cheers:
Miyagiboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4097 on: July 17, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »
The guys who run the  A2 windtunnel say that filling small pits, dimples, waxing, taping seams etc does diddly. don't waste your time. Make it look like you want it to. That said, my car is in the paint shop getting a new "go faster" paint job. :) Your results may vary as always.  :roll: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4098 on: July 17, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »

Ahhh, wouldn't the pits in the chrome create little surface vortices?    Sorta like dimples on a golf ball?    Being an engine guy, I have no idea whether it would help or hurt the aero drag . . . . . . .

Golf balls also spin, so if I ever build a roadster, I'll look into dimples.

Until then, and seeing as I'm only three weeks out . . .

The guys who run the  A2 windtunnel say that filling small pits, dimples, waxing, taping seams etc does diddly. don't waste your time. Make it look like you want it to. That said, my car is in the paint shop getting a new "go faster" paint job. :) Your results may vary as always.  :roll: :cheers:

Three weeks out - Diddly is something I don't have a lot of time for.  And actually, with the grill and chrome pieces finding their way back into place, it's looking the best it ever has.

Fordboy was telling me that the F1 guys spend hours applying polymers and polish looking for that .0001 shaving off of a lap time, but seeing as the girls in Tony's avatars aren't likely to show up with cheese cloth and a bottle of Zip-wax, I'm simply going to finish bolting it together, make sure it fires up, adjust the brakes and throw it on the trailer.

Now Mark, I know your tagline -

"Does paying attention to all the 'little details' matter?"   I dunno, but I think you should ask the guy who finishes second . . . . ."

If I can finish second to an F1 car, and the only thing I gave away was a pitted chrome and a wax job, I'll consider that success . . .  :cheers:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4099 on: July 17, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »
Chris:

I had a friend in high school that waxed the hood and tops of the fenders because that was all he could see riding down the road.

One pass and the wax job will not matter.

Kixmiller told me the salt knows where to fill in areas that need more aero. After a couple of passes your front wheel wells have that nice salt build up the cleans up the air! :) 

If Tony releases his avatars from life long contracts, I want an Umbrella Girl! Just like the bike guys.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4100 on: July 18, 2014, 01:08:15 AM »

Golf balls also spin, so if I ever build a roadster, I'll look into dimples.

Until then, and seeing as I'm only three weeks out . . .

seeing as the girls in Tony's avatars aren't likely to show up with cheese cloth and a bottle of Zip-wax

Don't underestimate Tony :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4101 on: July 18, 2014, 01:47:23 AM »
Chris, From LeMans 2013 before and after pics, I think I saw some cheese cloth. Tony :cheers:

Before

After  :evil:
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Rob

« Reply #4102 on: July 18, 2014, 02:32:21 AM »
Apparently having a "hungry bum" was mandatory Tony?  :-D

Offline krusty

« Reply #4103 on: July 18, 2014, 07:12:54 AM »

Tony, please make this the standard size of your avatar(s). 

Thank you,

vic

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4104 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »
The guys who run the  A2 windtunnel say that filling small pits, dimples, waxing, taping seams etc does diddly. don't waste your time. Make it look like you want it to. That said, my car is in the paint shop getting a new "go faster" paint job. :) Your results may vary as always.  :roll: :cheers:

Three weeks out - Diddly is something I don't have a lot of time for.  And actually, with the grill and chrome pieces finding their way back into place, it's looking the best it ever has.

Fordboy was telling me that the F1 guys spend hours applying polymers and polish looking for that .0001 shaving off of a lap time, but seeing as the girls in Tony's avatars aren't likely to show up with cheese cloth and a bottle of Zip-wax, I'm simply going to finish bolting it together, make sure it fires up, adjust the brakes and throw it on the trailer.

Now Mark, I know your tagline -

"Does paying attention to all the 'little details' matter?"   I dunno, but I think you should ask the guy who finishes second . . . . ."

If I can finish second to an F1 car, and the only thing I gave away was a pitted chrome and a wax job, I'll consider that success . . .  :cheers:

[/quote]

Ok, lemme see, If we consider that a F1 lap is somehow related to your Bonneville run ( a stretch I realize) the wax job getting you .0001 second off, that translates to about  .0003mph. Since I think they are only printing out to 3 digits in the mph readout, won't do you a lot of good, unless of course, their clocks will average it up and you turn 121.7793 then that  .0003 will get you 121.7796 rounded up to 121.780. voila!!, new record.  :cheers:  I'll come help polish for the record runs. Can I get in Maryland any of the various libations you guys seem so fond of? I'll bring some for you.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:03:48 AM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4105 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:24 AM »
Chris, From LeMans 2013 before and after pics, I think I saw some cheese cloth. Tony :cheers:

Before

After  :evil:

Tony:

You have just displayed to the world my Bonneville dream team!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #4106 on: July 18, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »
I have been studying that picture for ten minutes. I have found irrefutable proof that there indeed is NO race car in that picture. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4107 on: July 18, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »

Well, the French DO know how to make cheese . . .

Not that I'm wining . . .

:wink:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4108 on: July 18, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
In the Le Mans picture, the lady in the blazer is saying "Hey look. They're taking my picture". Wayno

gkabbt

« Reply #4109 on: July 18, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Hade to look hard for that one Wayno.....LOL!  :roll:  :evil:  :-D

Gregg