Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3269954 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Hahahaha! Never seen that one. Better bring a bottle to sample! :cheers:

Offline Rob

« Reply #391 on: June 05, 2011, 03:44:48 AM »
Tman scotch LIQUEUR mate, get it right .. Glayva is my brand of rocket fuel, 37% alcohol by volume or 74 proof  :-D Never saw it in the US so always took my own. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glayva for the curious.

RE the ramps, "Marsden Matting" is what you need to be looking for, the "real" stuff was steel and I couldn't guess at the number of front fences that were made from the salvaged stuff when I lived in New Guinea. They used to level the strip and compact it before laying the matting and it was a quick fix after the strip was bombed. Used to come in 6' lengths from memory and you can still buy brand new WWII stock in the Phillipines. the modern equivalent is available new in the US somewhere.

Good score on the trailer Chris and another leap forward!

Cheers,
Rob
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:47:06 AM by Rob »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
Big excitement – pics of my crank, courtesy of Greg at Rody in Plymouth Michigan –

Gratifying to see.  Should be ready in a few weeks.  Picking up the block, rods, pistons, et al Saturday PM.

I'm breathing a little easier . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »
Wow.

tick, tock, tick, tock. :-)

Big excitement – pics of my crank, courtesy of Greg at Rody in Plymouth Michigan

did the cuss filter do that?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: June 17, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »

Big excitement – pics of my crank, courtesy of Greg at Rody in Plymouth Michigan

did the cuss filter do that?
No, that was the picture of congressman Weiner's crank.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #395 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »
  MM, remember, two spares for the trailer, new electric brakes, wheel bearings and wiring. New trailer tires (use old ones for spares...... you will need them).  All electrical to be soldered and heat shrink added.  
  Sandblast,followed by powdercoating (or at least Rhino Lining, etc on frame, check all welds, u-bolt's, spring leaf's, and light sockets.
  There you go, your cheap trailer is ready to go, and don't ask me how I know all this stuff after fourteen round trip's to Wendover and back........................  
  Next comes support equipment, generator, compressor, canopies, tarp's, kitchen sink, etc.
  A new 2nd mortage is in order at this point ( and I ain't lying, it's how I got here........)
                                               your pal in arm's,        Bob
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:45:39 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2011, 01:16:42 AM »
Mortage refinace :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2011, 01:58:09 AM »
Gosh, guys, you can't REfinance what's already paid for.

Quite honestly, if I was still paying on this shed, there'd be no way I could even attempt to do this - not on what I make.

Hmmmm . . . maybe I should put my equity into a tank before my equity tanks? :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: June 18, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
Update from Beerhaven -

Block is back – top notch work from Mel and the boys at C&S in Butler – Thanks again, Mel.  A few modifications yet to perform – a new oil pickup strap for the center main bearing –

And after a talk with Sparky a few months back, he recommended placing some small oil nozzles directed to the back of the piston for longevity. After seeing Grummy’s teardown of the J/S tank, and the heat on the small ends of the Holden V6, I’m thinking that’s not a bad idea.  

A slick solution to getting pressurized oil to the pistons became apparent when I realized I’m not running a distributor.  Here’s where the bottom of the distributor drive lives – I’ll tap it and set up lines from here –

And of course, the rods and pistons – JE pistons and Saenz rods –

Pistons are 256 g each, the rods 442g.  Stock pistons are ~ 380, rods ~ 690.  So the replacement assembly weighs about the same as the original rods. Essentially, compared to the stock configuration, I have no pistons!

The Saenz rods are 6”, compared to 5.75 for the stockers – the crown height for the pistons is considerably taller, and according to the math, I’m about .004 from the deck.  That’s the compromises you need to make to go from a 3.2 stroke to a 2.45.  After the crank comes in and I do a dry build and can confirm that number, I’ll shave the block accordingly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:31:25 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
Wow, Chris, looks like Christmas at your house!

Assembling that has to be more fun than figuring out the head restraints! :evil:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
Assembling that has to be more fun than figuring out the head restraints! :evil:

You know, you get into this stuff, and you think, "Heck, I can build a motor, it's essentially a stock class chassis with a cage - THAT'S EASY".

And then the bridgekeeper asks you - "What... is the capital of Assyria?" :?

Yeah, engines ARE more fun. 

Maybe I'll get THIS one to RUN RIGHT! :-D

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
Tell the bridgekeeper Assur, Nimrud, Dur Sarukin, and the last one was Nineveh. :wink:

Nice thing here is, unlike the bridgekeeper scenario, someone is always willing to give advice and help!

Great build, Chris! :cheers:

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
Chris --

Work on the push vehicle, too.  With a faster push, you're sure to beat last year's effort -- even if it won't run.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Chris --

Work on the push vehicle, too.  With a faster push, you're sure to beat last year's effort -- even if it won't run.

Stan

Alright, enough already!  :-D

Actually, with the record I'm shooting for, and the nature of the engine - short stroke, high winding - I've opted for 4:22 gears - that's right about where this thing should be making peak power, with the ability to run past peak in 3rd, and comfortably drop back into the sweet spot.  As a back-up, I'm bringing a 3.9 gear set. 

I do intend to take this thing down to Great Lakes Dragaway for a tune and test night.  Better to embarrass yourself 40 miles from home than 1500.   :wink:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:17:06 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
Alright -- I'll lay off.  Also give you Best Appearing GT car if that helps.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records