Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3269562 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #375 on: May 30, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
FREE BEER??!!

I'll guess Honda Shadow...
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #376 on: May 30, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »
FREE BEER??!!

I'll guess Honda Shadow...

Flattie, I'll see you get a beer either way,  :cheers: but I have NO idea what this radiator is out of.  I'm looking for a definitive answer! :-D

I'm guessing a small ATV . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #377 on: May 30, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »

Get a cold beer from me at WOS if you can tell me what this is out of –

Well this will have me annoyed for a while. All the usual manufactures use tabs and grommets for mounting. One that does use pegs is Aprilla, but they put two pegs on one side and a tab on the other. About the only motorcycle manufacturer that sticks a pipe out at a silly angle is BMW but they use tabs. KTM, Rokon, Bombardier, BSA... tabs (even Garelli). Cushmans are frame mounted, most golf carts have a radiator cap on the upper tank and use tabs or a frame mounting. It is one I've never seen before.  :-(

You said it had a number?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #378 on: June 02, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »
Okay, Anvil* - the number is - 422100-0930.  Made in Japan.  Nippondenso.  Closest thing I found was a Yamaha YZ125T on FleaBay.

I had success with the hardtop windows, so I've decided to give the door windows a shot.  1/4 Lexan on order.

Phone call came in tonight - rods, pistons and rings are in.  All fine and well, I'll get pics as soon as I pick 'em up.  That should kick in my A.D.D. - "oooooh, shiny!" 

Still 4 weeks out on the crank.  This will put it arriving right smack dab in the middle of my annual 21 day double shift stretch.  The OT is nice - pays for the trip to Wendover, but it sure throws a monkeywrench into a build plan - one that originally had parts showing up in late February and mid March.

Which brings up an issue that I'll take some advice on.   Once I have the block decked and head shaved, I'm going to need a custom set of pushrods whipped up on short order.  Who have you had good luck with?  No idea how long they'll need to be until I get to dry build - mid July.  Please let me know.

Offline Rob

« Reply #379 on: June 03, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »
G'day Chris,

I've done some sleuthing for you & that's a Denso number not a Yamaha number. There are a heap of Yamaha radiators that start with 422100 but none I can find finish with the same suffix. RD250, RD350, DTR125 LC, RM etc.

I've rung Denso Australia with the number and am waiting for a return call, hopefully with a positive result.

Stay tuned,
Rob

EDIT: I got the return call Chris but they are asking for dimensions and a photo from the top or bottom to clearly show the inlet/outlet angle(s).

Edit 2: No dice Chris, their best guess is an ancient Yamaha but they can find no such part number on their intranet or in any catalogs.

He did spend some time on my/your behalf though and suggested a possible replacement were you to ever need one. He's suggested a radiator from a 1996 Kawasaki EX250 H, Core dimensions 220mm (8.7")H x 217mm (8.5")W & 16mm (5/8") thick and part number S10CMA part #. That one apparently has four mounting points within the core itself and an inlet and outlet with no cap. He added "Don't stress on the thin core, cooling technology has come a long way."

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:42:46 AM by Rob »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #380 on: June 03, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
Hey, all -

I should point out that none of this is critical other than for my own edification.  If you really want a beer, I'll get you one.  No need to knock yourselves out

RD Yamaha?  I had an RD 400 and my buddy Dean had an RD 350 - both were air cooled, and both went like chili through a colostomy bag.

Offline Rob

« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
G'day Chris,

It's a moot point as I don't drink beer mate   :-D

Total cost was two phone calls and under ten minutes, too easy to help another salt guy.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #382 on: June 03, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
It's a moot point as I don't drink beer mate   :-D
Cheers,
Rob

you're risking excommunication here Rob... :roll: :roll: :roll: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rob

« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
Hey Doc,

I didn't say I didn't drink...just not beer. This means more for the rest of you so I figure I'm safe from admonition.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline AJR192

« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »
Smith Brothers pushrods in Oregon is real fast. They made a set and shipped them for us in just a few days. Excellent quality too.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #385 on: June 04, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
ARJ192 - thanks for that.  I've heard of them.  Given the nature of what I need to do, I think I'll have them whip me up a set at the stock length with somewhat longer tappet ends and have them cut down locally. 

Rob - Kate usually carries a flask of Tanqueray on our trips - I'm pretty certain it's to dull the tedium of putting up with me on a 3000 mile road trip, but she's been known to share.  You'll need to bring your own mixer, but I'll supply the ice, the glass, and a slice of lime.

MAJOR SCORE!

Searching for trailers on E-bay – found one just north of Milwaukee.  I contacted the guy and told him what I was pulling.  “This one will be too big”, he says, “but I used to race Spridgets, and I think I’ve got just the ticket”

Perfect – 12" deck height, light weight, yet still steel, aluminum ramps, a winch - now Kate can continue her reading and gin sipping while I load the car all by myself - tires O.K., a spare tire, long enough to bolt a tool box to, Bearing Buddies.  Dual axle would have been nice, but the Midget only weighs about 1600 lbs, the trailer is about 600, it has a 3000# axle, and at a price I couldn’t buy the parts to make it for.

Life is good today.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #386 on: June 04, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
And surplus landing mats for ramps. Just like my old trailer. How much cooler can a trailer get?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »
You know, Rich, I had NO IDEA what those were.  There's a piece of pipe on the backside to stiffen them, but yeah, now that I'm paying attention to them, that is cool, and traditional.  A lot of salt racers incorporate cast-off aviation technology into their projects - I just did it by accident!  :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »
I keep watching the scrappers for some of that matting. MM, you know how they used them? Interlocking and made a runway on soft soils. Used to be easy to find, now not so much.

Thanks for posting that radiator, opened up a ton of ideas for a project I have going!

Rob likes Scotch, I will make sure to stock the truck before Speedweek :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
Rob likes Scotch, I will make sure to stock the truck before Speedweek :cheers:

South Dakota, eh?  You might be familiar with this one.  Maybe we can convert him to a new Great Plains tradition -

http://www.templetonrye.com/home/

Scotch is okay, Irish or Canadian in a pinch, but American Rye is where it's at.

Brings out the Philip Marlowe or Sam Spade in you.  I know it turns me into a fictional character. :-D