Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255321 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:10 PM »
There are days when I want to crack open my coconut and scoop out all the “dumb”.  Unfortunately, I’ve misplaced my end loader.

Mocking up the rest of the front end, I’m looking at the driver’s side wheel and thinking, “Man, the toe-in on this thing is way out of whack”.  I couldn’t be sure if it was an issue of the spring not settling into place, and with no weight on the front end, I couldn’t be sure if this was how it was supposed to look.  The passenger side looked better, but the thing was nowhere close to aligned, and I wasn’t sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I grabbed the tape measure, checked rear spring perch distance to front perchs in an “X” pattern, measured the length of the A-Arms, the upper control arm (which is part of the shock on these things, and replaced by my shock rebuild guy).  All this stuff has been replaced, but it’s all off of different cars.  Have the Leprechauns of stacked tolerances played one of their evil tricks on me again?  Everything I measured was spot on.  Frustrated, I grabbed a beer (not my first) and called it quits for the night.

A fresh perspective this evening made all clear.  I had the trunnion on backwards. :roll:

That’s better.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »
Just a quick one -

Dropped off the front fenders at Joe "The Body" Phillips' place today.  Joe painted my MGB a few years ago, and seems to have made a career out of removing dings and scratches from my wife's car. :roll:  Ever since I bought my welder, it's become clear that I can't weld for Subaru, so seeing as Joe is the one who will be eventually laying down the paint, I figured it best for both of us to let him fix the tin.

Here's the deal -

The original front fenders (orange) are salvageable pieces, and with a bit of work, could have been used.  That said, some of you are aware that I "accidentally" purchased a '75 Midget off of E-Bay a few months back, and the fenders (black) on the '75 are in far superior shape to the originals.  The problem is that the '75 is a rubber bumper car - the '71 I'm working on is a chromey.  Therefore, the holes for the turn signals (required for GT), don't exist on the '75 Fenders, and are instead, replaced with a different cutout for the bumper bracketing.

After assessing the situation over hot coffee, Joe and I came to the conclusion that it would be easier to cut out the cutouts from the '71 and weld them into the '75 fenders.  I'll post his handywork when he gets done.

"So Chris", you ask - "What's all that dust on the floor of Joe's Shop?"  

One of Joe's neighbor's projects.  '32 rails and a Fiber-rod - 383 SBC, King-Bees.  Fiberglass may be easier to work with than steel, but not when it comes time to start block sanding.  I'll try to grab a pic of it when it's done.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:34:16 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »
Update -

Front fenders are back from Joe "The Body" Phillip's shop - Joe did a nice job welding in the surrounds, and it will be easy to put the front panels together.

Skeeter stopped by yesterday - he'll be caging the Midget for me.  He races a very mean '57 Bel Air down in Union Grove.  I stopped by his shop early in January and we immediately hit it off.  Yesterday we took some measurements and discussed SCTA rules.  I dropped off my rule book to him in January, and it was clear that he had actually read the thing, and asked some really good questions.  Looks like I have a bit more research to do. Here's a link to his shop.

http://www.skeeters-law.com/Performance.html

Spent today hanging doors and trying to get the gaps right.  Brit Cars :roll:. Not only do you have to get the body gaps right, you've also got to get the windshield angle locked down - it's a removable frame.  I want these angles and gaps right BEFORE the chassis gets stiffend up.

Rear brakes are done, front calipers are rebuilt and awaiting installation, and the master cylinder gets its comeuppance some night this week.

Essentially, the mind numbing tedium of a rebuild.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
Some progress - steady by jerks.

I ordered wheels today, through a company right here in Beerhaven.  Diamond Racing Wheels.  Thanks to Curtis Halvorson for making me aware of these guys in my own back yard.  Talked with Bill Tandetzke, the President, face to face - super guy - and here's the kicker - he asked ALL THE RIGHT QUESTIONS.  He had a Speedweek program sitting on his desk in his office, understands LSR, knows the rules and requirements, and has done work for a number of other teams.  He gave me a tour of the shop (it's got to cover two acres) - it was fantastic.

He has a lot of Late Model work on the schedule, but he says he can have 'em done for me in about 4 weeks.  Perfect.

Here's one of the turn signal surrounds welded into place by Joe "The Body" Phillips.  A skim coat and some block sanding, and it'll be good as new.

Doors are in place - hey, and they actually open and close!

I'm at the point where the cage will be going in.  Skeeter does a lot of small order job shop stuff, and he's been busy - a good thing in this economy, but the Midget has been languishing.  He wants me to bring it in toward the end of the month.  As most of what I need to do to the chassis at this point should wait until the cage is in, I've been at a bit of a standstill.  

That said, it's given me the opportunity to turn my thoughts toward the engine.

The plan is to destroke a 1275 down to 970 specs, a trick the BMC works guys did in the early '60's on the Mini Cooper to produce a factory homologation short-stroke 1 litre.  The problem is that the crank for the 970 Cooper has a different tailshaft than the inline BMC "A" blocks, and even if it could be made to work,  the likelyhood of finding this "hen's tooth" and the accompanying factory rods and extended crown pistons is all but impossible.  Additionally, the budget just isn't there this year to invest in Carrillo Rods, custom pistons and a billet crank.

Still, I want to get this thing on the salt this summer, so the plan change is as follows.

I've got 3 inline "A" blocks - a 948, and 2 1275's.  The 948 was my first plan, which I gave up on when I read more about the 970 configuration.

Right now, it's a boat anchor, but I do have a good crank for it, and if I relieve the block, the 1275 open chamber head will fit.  I'm thinking of screwing this combination together just to have a moderate output street engine which I can use in the future for some other project, but put it between the fenderwells of the Midget this summer and run the 130 club this September.  And while there's no reasonable expectation of running 130, this will give me an opportunity to make sure the chassis is sorted, and get some experience on the salt in a no-pressure environment.

So there's the update - back to the garage.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:06:57 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 04:26:38 AM »
The pictures bring back a lot of memories. I'm not sure if they're fond or not!  I was involved in a lot of sports car preparation and racing in the sixties.

Pete

Offline GH

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »
MM, here is a photo of my Willys at Union Grove. We were there match racing at a nostalgia race. Got to visit with Broadway Bob, he is a site to behold.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 01:59:31 PM »
Have to agree with sorting out everything else with a reliable motor is a good plan. Helps you keep up the fun factor. Many full-on motors have a very limited life and having other problems while you use your motor up is just frustrating.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
MM, here is a photo of my Willys at Union Grove. We were there match racing at a nostalgia race. Got to visit with Broadway Bob, he is a site to behold.
Gary, if you bring the Willikers up this way again, drop me a line.  I simply don't get to Great Lakes Dragaway nearly enough. 

Good news about that - the township of Raymond has put aside their noise complaints for the time being, so you can leave your mufflers at home. 

Offline GH

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
MM, had to sell the Willys to have the funds to build the Buick & Studebaker. The engine that was in the Willys is now in the Stude.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »
Engine degunkification.
Last post, I mentioned I’ll be building a warmed over street engine to get some track time in this September.  The 948 is option numero uno, but I have more 1275 parts than 948, so today, I started an investigation.  Here’s one of the 1275's – just started tearing it down today -

This is the engine that was “thrown in” on the ’75 Midget deal I made last year.  Currently, it’s seized up, but I still have to pull the pan to determine just how bad it is.  Years of neglect, reassembled with loose head nuts and a broken stud, a bad head gasket and living in a shed with no spark plugs in it for an unknown number of years, has caused an accumulation of grit, grime, and general gunk and rust in the bores.  The head also has that “I’ve been rode hard and put away wet” smell, with sticky, smokey old oil clinging to everything.

In other words, it’s a typical old British sports car motor. :roll:

I’ve thrown it up on the stand with a bit of diesel fuel in the bores to see if it will loosen up.  Planning on pulling the pan this week for a peak at what I’m sure will be a cornucopia of otherworldly automotive delights.  I should know by the end of the week as to whether I’ll be able to use it.  None of this is critical – I have spares on almost everything, but I’d like to utilize as much of this engine as possible – it would probably be a bit more useful down the road for whatever it finds a permanent home in than the 948.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 12:27:38 AM »
Here's the basic rollcage design that Skeeter came up with, incorporating input from myself and Jim Miller, whose council has been invaluable - Thanks, Jim.

I'm planning on catching up with Skeeter this week.  He's built cages for drag cars and SCCA, but this is his first LSR car.  A lot of you have been down this road, and if there are any ideas or thoughts I should be incorporating, please chime in. 

Thanks!

Chris

:cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
Re: Milwaukee Midget - seized pistons
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
W.W.L.S.R.D? :?

Pistons are froze - soaking overnight in diesel didn't help, although one cylinder did drain down a bit.  I pulled the pan and loosened the caps - the crank is not seized.  Who's used what?

I've read of folks using everything from Coca-Cola to Marvel Mystery.

I need a clue, so I'm asking the greatest brain trust in racing.  I'd like to save the connecting rods.

Thanks!

Chris

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 09:53:07 PM »
....some $2 store super-glue...everything I've ever put that on comes apart sooner rather than later :-D :-D................you could try ATF , maybe with some acetone....the coca cola idea is because of the phosphoric acid....I wouldn't go with that for siezed slug because it may make it worse....I don't know if it might have a pickling effect but molasses is good but won't cut the grease........but things that are jammed with rust will free up.............what you're doing there looks like a job I'd avoid.......lazy penile device that I am....... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
Boy Howdy!
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
SUCCESS!  BOY HOWDY, YEAH BABY, 10-4 GOOD BUDDY, THE PISTONS ARE MOVING!

Nothing like a piece of pipe and a 2lb maul.  Just started applying persuasion to each piston, and VIOLA, knocked 'em loose.  Cleaned out what I could, tightened up the caps, and spun her around with the breaker bar.  Still a bit tight, but no visible scoring.

I also finalized the cage plans with Skeeter, made soup, worked eight hours and swept the garage.

A good day!  

NOW I can go to bed!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:59:24 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 09:47:07 PM »
You know the stuff you know, but forget? :roll:

Well, I guess you can't fix a screw-up unless you screw it up first.

"Sometimes the problem is the solution." - Abigail Van Buren

So if the engine is out of the car, and there's nothing to stop the crank from turning like, oh, the rest of the car’s drive train, but the engine is seized up, removing the frozen vibration damper bolt is easy!

“Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people.”
- Zig Ziglar

So, yeah, the pistons and rods are out - now I have to figure out how to get the crank out. :cry:

I'll figure it out, but right now, this “other people” is a bit hacked at himself.

The pistons are out - they're shot - but the rods look good, and so do the journals.  Wrist pins were VERY tight on slugs 2 and 3 (the two to the outside) - the holes that were seized.  Looks like a .020 over should clean up the bores.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:16:44 PM by Milwaukee Midget »