Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3270568 times)

Offline Motornoggin

• New folks
  • Speed Freak
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:26 PM »
Everybody should have a cheer leader and it is special when she is your wife. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)Nice article.

Indeed!

Great article!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
Great beginning to a fast second season!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:12 PM »
( in a Michael Caine accent) " you lucky ,lucky sod"........you were also unlucky, yet that already seems to have been remedied, but having a smart girl who who digs what you do( yeah I know , but ) can't be beat.

garn git.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #288 on: November 23, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »
Been spending the last few weeks determining how to proceed.  Part of my frustration with the thrash last summer was disorganization on my part.  I can rationalize some of it as being too little space with parts and tools scattered hither and yawn.  I couldn’t keep everything in the garage, because it has to function as, well, a garage.

At this point, the car is essentially complete, so questions like where I have to put the fenders, a transmission, brackets, doors, etc., are no longer an issue - they’re all bolted together on the car, and with a few exceptions, they can stay that way.

But last spring, I had Rubbermaid tote boxes filled with mountains of take-off parts, bolts, electrical components – essentially enough extras to build another car.

I asked myself, “Why does this happen here, when you wouldn’t let it get nearly this out of hand at work?”

There was no excuse. 

Two weeks ago, I started in the attic, where I had stowed away about ½ of my parts car, and asked myself these questions regarding each part – “Will this make the Midget go faster?” – “Is it a part that’s hard to find?” – “Is it worth the time and effort to throw it up on E-Bay?”

Lucas dash switches, windshield wipers, bezels, seat belts, rearview mirrors, chrome trim, door latches, dried out old rubber seals (?!?!?) – “Why is this still here?”

And when I couldn’t come up with good answers, it went into one of the now-empty Rubbermaid totes and out to the trash.

This weekend, I did the same thing in the garage – convertible top frames, SR145-13 tires, heater cores, scissor jacks – and how many unsalvageable Spridget drum brake plates does one man really need? 

To the dump.

And while going through all this crap, I found my good set of channel locks, my missing 12 point sockets, a body grinder that I forgot I had and replaced, a set of brushes for same – just maddening.

So after everything was found, sorted, categorized, and/or pitched, I made up my mind to organize it.

I found a decent, cheap roll-around and top chest at the Sears Outlet store - $130.00, replacing 6 smaller tool boxes and a pair of empty drywall buckets.  And then I added a few more shelves, trying to maximize the newly constituted “shop corner”.

It’s not perfect, but neither is the situation.  It’s tight in a 2 ½ car garage that contains a Dodge wagon, a snow blower, a lawn mower, miscellaneous garden tools, an MGB and a race car.

It still needs some tweaking, and after the trash gets picked up this week, I’ll probably comb through it once more.  I just don’t want to find myself tearing the house apart looking for something that isn’t there, or digging through cardboard boxes, or having to clean a screwdriver that’s been soaking in gear lube at the bottom of a pickle bucket.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »
Yer just a kid.  Us oldens are starting to think that after we're gone, whose gonna giva a s-hit about some of this stuff.  Chuck it and simplify. 

Went thru over 100 pictures of my roadster chassis going together.  Who cares?  I do and I was there.  Chuck 'em.  Saved about 10 and am looking for someone who I can show 'em to and give a damm.

(Hopefully hop-scotched the censor),
Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #290 on: November 24, 2010, 12:24:27 AM »
Stan Back...I'd love to look at those saved fotos.

I haven't had a good laugh or a good s_hit in a long time.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #291 on: November 24, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Stan Back...I'd love to look at those saved fotos.

I haven't had a good laugh or a good s_hit in a long time.

FREUD

Hey pletty boy Freud,

drink lots and lots of beer, everything is funny and you can s-t through a straw, trust me.

Trust me , I'm a doctor......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
Finally!

Deist has been backordered on ballistic material since August, but they finally came through on the blow blanket.  I'll trial fit it when the engine comes out. 

All prudent companies are trying to keep their inventories within manageable levels, and with this economy, the "just-in-time" practices of many suppliers, even reputable ones we've known for years, can get tripped up by the simplest of issues.  A huge thanks to Russ and everybody at Deist.  Good bunch of folks. :cheers:

But there is one lesson I've learned this last year.  The flywheel, the roll cage, the blow blanket - Order early - you never know how long even the common parts will take to arrive.  If I had been running for class last September, it wouldn't have happened.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2010, 04:28:12 AM »
Well at least your tools are neat
I moved out of the workshop I was in (read quit my job) and had to find a place for some of my tools
This is the office
You should see the shed/workshop?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2010, 12:28:39 AM »
Okay, time to dig in and get started on Engine #2.  I started the block prep this afternoon.  I’m hoping to drop it off at the shop this week.  This block was magged about three years ago, and will be the basis for the 970 spec engine.  It’s a thick flange Sprite block, and it’s looking good for a .030 over.

This pic isn’t particularly good, but under the center main is a casting hole, which had a nasty amount of flash left on it.  Additionally, it wasn’t formed very well, and just looked and felt ugly.  Seeing as the center main web on A-blocks is somewhat prone to cracking, I thought it wise to smooth out the mess to minimize a crack starting.

I did the final math this last week.  The specs will be as follows:

Deck height – crank c/l to deck of block                                 8.90625 (8 29/32)
Thickness of deck – nominal                                                  ~   29/64
Stroke                                                                                   2.45
Rod length                                                                             6.00
Piston crown height – pin c/l to top                                         1.52 (advertised)
Piston diameter                                                                      2.81 (stock 2.78 + .030)

The deck height is 8.90625.  The assembly height is 8.745.  The difference is 0.16125.  Plenty of iron to shave, and enough left behind to go back for seconds, if necessary.

Pistons are from MiniMania.  Rods by R&R.  Got a quote from Huffaker on the crank, but I’m still nosing around.  Huffaker was essentially the US arm of MG racing back in the day, and their work is excellent, but I’m aware of a couple of shops in Michigan, and I want to talk with them before I pull the trigger on the crank.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:31:37 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: December 13, 2010, 12:32:49 AM »
How come every time I enter the word "", it doesn't show up?  Come on, Slim, not all of us are semi-retired! :-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #296 on: December 13, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
I think I've fixed that, ladies and germs.  Try it again.  And thank (well, in the spirit of internet anonymity I won't mention Stainless' name here) the guy that suggested it in the first place.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »
Well ,it's been hard work lately dragging myself into work when I'm supposed to be working on the new worked motor for the tank....

yep, that works now. :wink:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #298 on: December 14, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »
Well that seems to work
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #299 on: December 14, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »
I think I've fixed that, ladies and germs.  Try it again.  And thank (well, in the spirit of internet anonymity I won't mention Stainless' name here) the guy that suggested it in the first place.

I think someone suggested Willys for that 4 letter word that I try to avoid.... not goof off  :| but all's well that doesn't end up with someone covered in shit....   :roll:
:cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O