Been a while – It was good to just let the Midget sit. I reintroduced myself to my wife (she still claims to love me), caught up with friends and family (who say I’ve become obsessive and lost weight over the summer), played a few gigs with the bands (chops are coming back – slowly), reinstalled the supercharger on the MGB (just in time for the first hard frost) and now, as the days grow shorter and my bank account has slightly improved, it’s time for an update.
1st off, I got the Pommy Pygmy started this weekend, and it still sounds great. The starter (which gave out on me in September) acted positively to the same technique one uses to reactivate an SU fuel pump – a firm blow with a lead hammer. Hey, I had nothing to lose – I just wish I had thought of it two months ago.
I found the problem as to why the Midget wouldn’t rev – under load
. That was the critical condition – under load
, and the clues became apparent when I reread the build diary. I follow everybody else’s advice – time to start listening to myself . . .
It doesn’t appear to, but the Weber DOES clear the bonnet – nevertheless, shorter ram pipes and a very low profile air cleaner are in order. Probably will need to chain the engine down to keep the carb from hitting the hood under load.
If you look carefully as to how the carburetor is attached, you’ll see isolation springs on the mounting studs that connect the carb to the manifold -
Between the carb and the manifold, there are rubber O-rings which isolate the carb from engine vibration. I found telltale scrapes on the underside of the hood where the carb hit the hood under load. A variable vacuum leak, activated by the torquing of the engine. And I received two mentions about stabilizing the engine -
Getting rid of the Metalastic will end that worry.
put a chain on it to limit the excursion.....or even a rubber band
Now while both of these comments were with respect the proximity of my clutch slave cylinder to the frame, had I followed the advice of Geo and the Dr., not to mention myself, it’s likely that my time slip would have a somewhat larger number on it.
But this is the cost of an education.
Great news from Deist – I got a call from Russ today, and my SFI spec blow-rag is done, and will be shipped as soon as Frank gets my tranny case out of the Deist truck and packages it all up. So to you teaming hoards of Spridget racers out there, let the word go forth – Deist now has a pattern for the BMC Ribcage Bellhousing. And they’ll gladly build one for you, too. You’re welcome.
I’ve got fuel for the garage heater, a rather esoteric short-stroke A-block to contrive, parts on the way, more parts to order. It just doesn’t end. I like it.