Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3266300 times)

Offline hotschue

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2010, 07:41:33 AM »
Chris,  About 75lbs. of salt, not counting what I washed off with the hose, made it home...took about a day to get it all out. Used plenty of WD and "Zep-A-Lum". 
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
Chris,  About 75lbs. of salt, not counting what I washed off with the hose, made it home...took about a day to get it all out. Used plenty of WD and "Zep-A-Lum". 

Ah, if only I had gone fast enough to kick up that kind of salt, I wouldn’t have to run down to the hardware store to refill my water softener tonight! 
Chris, I think (?) you are still running points / condenser? It is quite common for 'new' items (made who knows where nowadays) to fail in very short time, I try to find NOS condensers, rotor arms, points etc.

Actually, I’m running the Pertronix kit, which I’ve had great success with on the MGB.  It’s a hall effects sensor that is a direct replacement for the points/condenser.  Pulling the distributor this weekend – I’ll double check my work.  It’s academic at this point – the crank trigger waits.

Two areas that will kill torque are way lean and cam timing retarded.

One of the fixes I was unable to test was the float level, which was very low.  As soon as I got back to the pit, I pulled the cover off of the Weber, and made the adjustment, but was unable to verify if it helped due to the starter taking a dump on me.  The solenoid was working, the power was getting to the starter, but she refused to spin.  I was offered a push by a few folks, but if I had gotten it running, it would have boiled over waiting in line.  And if it was something else, I'd have been back to ground zero.  It ran cool with the car moving, but the fan wouldn’t keep up with it at rest.  This was Thursday, about noon, and we had to be on the road again Friday AM. 

Kate’s a great traveling companion, but she will openly admit that she’s of little help when it comes to helping tear down a car.  This is another reason I’m considering taking on a partner.  Two wrenches could have had the thing apart and back together in a couple of hours, we could have verified the timing, double checked each others work, checked for leaks (yup, tastes like Castrol GTX to me, let’s go),  but by myself, it would have been 4:30.

I had enough doubts as to where the problems lay that I decided to trailer it and watch the show.  I’m not a particularly fast worker, and the weeks leading up to this event, in addition to a very tedious cross-country drive and three-state thrash, had drained my reserves.  With work awaiting me Monday morning, I made the decision that next year will be the year.

You know it's small when you're dwarfed by a Mini.

Just like a glove . . . on a foot . . .

And I regret nothing.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rob

« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2010, 12:08:56 AM »
Looks great Chris,

Sorry to hear about your trals & tribulations but congratulations are well deserved.

I've been awol and for some reason, update notifications to this thread stopped, well.. notifying me.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
Chris you did a great job getting your car to the salt and you will have better days.  A word of advice for the next time you run, pull off the course if it's not running right. :-D. No reason to hold up other drivers, and please don't take this personally.  Good luck and remember to have fun. :cheers:

Offline El Wayno

• New folks
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »
Man someday you are gonna have to frame that timeslip right next to your record timeslip. I believe MG will leak with any top on. My buddy's A always seemed to hit me in the crotch. Of course we were to lazy to put the sliding windows in when it rained. Lucas is a cruel taskmaster.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »
A word of advice for the next time you run, pull off the course if it's not running right. :-D. No reason to hold up other drivers, and please don't take this personally.  

Wise council - Salt etiquette dictates courtesy, and I agree.  No offense taken.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2010, 01:59:42 AM »
Are you still running the bendix fuel pump
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »
On another subject . . .

Petronics (sp?).  Everybody loves them.  I've a '54 Plymouth with an early hemi Chrysler in it.  Drive it about 500 miles a year.

Put in the Petronix (sp?).  It started when you just looked at the starter button!  What a gem!  Third or fourth time out it quit on the freeway.  Had it towed home.  No spark.  Took it to the factory in San Dimas.  They couldn't find anything wrong with it, but gave me a new one, since I'd driven there.

Second verse, same as the first. 'cept this time I asked if I should use a ballast resistor.  "What did the car come with?" --"What the '54 Plymouth, the '55 Chrysler, the '82 El Camino (frame)?"  No answer, no advise.

Third time it quit in the ghetto.  Switched to a Chryler electronic from Jeg's.  Doesn't start as fast, but hasn't quit.  Probably not your problem, but when it quits, it won't give you advance notice.

Stan

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gande

« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »
Chris
Things are a little more relaxed on the 130 course, I checked with Russ Knotts the 130 starter, nobody was upset with your slow pass. It's not like you didn't work for it.
Gary

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
A time slip! That's a definite milestone. The distance between sipping beer and thinking about it to a vehicle passing tech and running at any speed under it's own power is spanned by the very few. As you go through what worked and what didn't you'll be able to build up a check list. Next time will be better.
--
must be tired, misspelled beer

Offline basher13

« Reply #265 on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »
MM
You made it to the salt with something that at least looked like a racecar, went through tech and got your first timing slip, Congratulations!! I enjoyed seeing the car, build looks better in person, and meeting you and Kate (sorry for disrupting your AC break)
You'll get it if you haven't already and end up makin some other rookie mistake next year, we found out the brakes were dragging so bad on the Stude that even jacked up you couldn't spin a tire! whoops
 :cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »
Are you still running the bendix fuel pump
G
Grummy :? :-o :? :-o :?

How the hell did you know that it was a Bendix, and not the stock SU?  You've got cards you're not showing, or that was a lights-out bullseye.

Yes, with an external regulator.

Is there something I need to be aware of?

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:27 AM »
Grummy :? :-o :? :-o :?

How the hell did you know that it was a Bendix, and not the stock SU?  You've got cards you're not showing, or that was a lights-out bullseye.

Yes, with an external regulator.

Is there something I need to be aware of?

It's just that any time an English car has made me hold up traffic, it is usually a bendix fuel pump problem
And I would have forgotten about bendix , but I was at the Roadworthy testers the the other day and he had a Jag on the hoist that wouldn't do more than about 30. My suggestion was to replace the fuel pumps with a pair of anything else.
He rang me later to ask me the same question you did
Used to own a Landrover I did.
G

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
It's just that any time an English car has made me hold up traffic, it is usually a bendix fuel pump problem
And I would have forgotten about bendix , but I was at the Roadworthy testers the the other day and he had a Jag on the hoist that wouldn't do more than about 30. My suggestion was to replace the fuel pumps with a pair of anything else.
He rang me later to ask me the same question you did
Used to own a Landrover I did.
G

The Colonel , at his best. :wink:

The V12's were a whole employment scheme by themselves with four pumps they kept tow truck drivers, rubber hose salesmen, mechanics , blokes who stand around watching mechanics work and parts salesmen at Bendix in a steady job for a loooooong time.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
The V12's were a whole employment scheme by themselves with four pumps they kept tow truck drivers, rubber hose salesmen, mechanics , blokes who stand around watching mechanics work and parts salesmen at Bendix in a steady job for a loooooong time.

Lovely wooden dash and comfy leather seats
G