Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3269716 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2010, 08:00:55 AM »
If you've got a gun that'll take a 2.5mm(100thou) tip then get some primer putty . . .

Gun?

All these strange words . . .

:wink:

Just funnin' with you, Doc.   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »
dj let you ship your TRANS out there and they didnt have the material in stock----sounds like a crock to me!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »
dj let you ship your TRANS out there and they didnt have the material in stock----sounds like a crock to me!!!!!!!!
Diest not DJ
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2010, 12:21:10 AM »
Just got to take it in stride.  At the end of the day, next year I will HAVE to have a blanket, Deist will have built it for me, and they needed the trans case for a pattern either way.  I will have it in place, I will get it approved, and it will all be behind me.  The upside is that they're going to make the pattern and return my trans case to me at WOS. 

Deist is an honest broker, I'm a flexible guy. 

Radiator repair - rush job - dropped off at their shop at 7:30 AM, and DELIVERED TO MY EMPLOYER BY A LAND SPEED RACING FAN WHO EXPIDITED THE PROCESS - THANK YOU, GREG - DON'T SPEND THAT JACKSON I SLIPPED YOU ALL IN ONE BAR!

Sanding pretty much done - a few spots of Bondo, some sand paper, and I'll be ready for - primer - which I'll shoot on Monday.  A certain Aussie has been bullyragging about paint . . . :roll:

You can't argue it, I agree with it . . . and THAT'S the hellofit. :-D

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
I've got ten bucks that says you knock over the last of your color with the air-line just before you fill the pot for the last pass.....when people are standing around it at the lake admiring the car and someone says "how come you didn't paint the rear beaver panel?" you can say it's a long story that involves an Australian. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »
I've got ten bucks that says you knock over the last of your color with the air-line just before you fill the pot for the last pass.....

You've already lost that bet.  I ain't painting it, just priming it, and I bought twice as much primer as I needed in preparation for next year.  

Joe Phillips, the fellow who painted my MGB, is shooting the color.  Green with a cream top - kind of like that Jello dessert salad that nobody ate at the church potluck supper.

Shooting primer on Monday.  Doc, what air pressure should I be setting the compressor at?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:59:02 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2010, 06:48:06 AM »
I'll get jumped on here..... run the reg on the compressor at about 50psi and then adjust down on the gun depending on the length of line you have. When I read the question I had to pause for a bit because I just do it sort of by ear.... one way you might find that works for you is hook the gun up and have the air control screwed shut, then start opening it with the trigger held open...at first nothing then you hear a whistling sucking sound then it'll start to spatter then it'll start to spray, take the pressure up a little from there.Do a test run and check the pattern looking quickly at the edges of it, if they are thin and dry you are too far off the job or the pressure can go down.Otherwise take it up a little and compare the results.

Make sure the parts of the gun are done up firmly and keep a little jar of thinners to drop the air-cap(nozzle cover) in
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
Anybody who has followed my slow, yet assured spiral into the depths of madness through this build diary is aware that not only do I post my accomplishments, but also my – well, shall we say, less stellar moments.  Midget wrestling ain’t easy.

First off, the cockpit is done, save the reinstallation of the harness.  All gauges work (as they should, unlike my former temp gauge, RIP); the seat is as comfy as any aluminum bucket can be, and my fat head fits under the roll cage.  With practice, entry and egress are trying, but doable.

My attempt to spray primer, however, was nothing short of a fiasco.

The car is due tomorrow night at Joe Phillips’ shop for paint, and I promised him I’d have it primed.  He understands that I’m looking for 10 footer, but I simply could not get the gun to cooperate.  It’s a Campbell-Hausefield, but the only nozzle I had was one better suited for lacquer on wood.  It’s Labor Day, none of the pro paint shops are open, and to my regret, I went with it.  It went on too dry, and now I’m waiting for it to cure so I can do a quick, light block sand on it.  Joe will shoot whatever I bring him – I just don’t want it to look like a Woolly Mammoth.

Taking dinner with Kate will be in the garage for a while afterward.

Eight days.

Plenty of time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »
Block sanded the whole thing - yeeesh, the things one does for style points.

It did give me a chance to look closely at the body work I did.  There's a reason I'm in the audio biz, and not a body repairman, but it's not too bad overall.  Given a solid weekend some time this winter, I'm thinking I can get this thing pretty darned straight.

What is it about a thrash that makes one think of "next year", other than the realization that it isn't going to happen in the next week?

The car's cleaner than I am right now - I need to remedy that situation.  I'm dustier than Pig Pen dancing in the Charlie Brown Christmas Special.

Offline hotschue

« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
Chris...I know what your feeling...Keep at it...you are close...you will make it.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2010, 11:35:29 PM »
Udo, Thank you - I suspect you are right.  And congratulations on your success last month - I wish I could have been there.

Without further delay -

The color of the body is an old Kaiser-Frazer green (the name escapes me) from the early 1950's.  The top is International Harvester White, which I rattle canned.  The plan was a dark green, but Joe wanted me to take a few minutes and dig through his vintage color catalogues.  I saw this one and said, " Yeah, that'll be just ducky".

Up close, it looks like - and here's a new word I learned from hanging out here - it looks like cack.  But I won't fault Joe, who has asked that I not use his last name anymore, with respect to this car as it sits.  It was my lack of prep work.  That's what next year is all about.

Anyway - back to it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:31:53 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
MM,

You are doing great. Keep up the good work, you are on a roll.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Geo

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
Way to go Chris!   :cheers:

You have come a long way and it looks great.  The color is about halfway between my first Jaguar "Willow Green" and my latest Jaguar "Jade Green".  British enough.  And the white top is brilliant!

I was looking at air fare to Milwaukee thinking I could come for a day or two to help get you to the salt, however it looks  like you have things well in hand.  Seems the household  help is plenty.  :wink:

Run fast, be safe!  Get back in the garage.  :evil:

Geo

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2010, 12:55:15 AM »
Sensational!.......................repaint?...next year........when do the decals go on dude?.........I feel a little guilty that I haven't yet sent your DLRA stickers yet...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2010, 01:58:23 AM »
Thanks, guys - I'm still behind, but I'm feeling better about it tonight.

I've still got to get it to idle properly - I suspect either a vac leak or a float issue, and likely a combination of the two. 

My plan is to pass through Cedar Rapids on the way out, visit my parents and get the nod from the crew chief, my dad, Frank Conrad.  His knee is in great shape after the surgery, but he's had a very tough-to-diagnose, nerve related gastric issue, and unfortunately, he'll be hanging out at home . . . this year.  Next year, I'll work him mercilessly, just like he did me, the mean, old fart . . . :-D

I'll also stop by John Rosche's.  John was a diesel mechanic in the reserves, and has worked on Weber equipped 911's and MG's.  John can fix a rainy day, if he can get the parts. 

Also to do - correct the alternator wiring

Install a bunch of trim pieces

Dial in the timing

Install the windshield

Install the shoulder straps

A bunch of other stuff

Oh, yeah - and pack.

Also, I have to remember to bring a jar of Pickles for Lynda . . .

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10308970/milwaukees-midget-dill-pickles-32-oz-reviews/reviews.htm