Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3269624 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:28 AM »
Gauges - in and lines routed.

Battery - in and strapped down.

Drive shaft loop - and if I have any talent at all with building race cars, it has to be blacksmithing - built and in, although why I need one in a car with a completely closed driveshaft tunnel is beyond me.

Right reinforcement bracket for lap belt - constructed and in.

Started the detail wiring this evening with my buddy Tim - schematics, layout - the guy's a pro.  But at about 7:00, I got a call from my wife at the emergency room at the hospital.  A peculiar numbness in her right arm was the complaint, along with the side of her face and her scalp.  I sent Tim packing and spent a quiet evening in the hospital room with my wife, who is now fine and at home - no problems.  Diagnosis came back as Peripheral Neuritis - a pinched nerve, essentially.

While Kate's turning down the covers, I'm counting my blessings and contemplating more important things than race cars and deadlines.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

LittleLiner

« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »

While Kate's turning down the covers, I'm counting my blessings and contemplating more important things than race cars and deadlines.

Well said . . . Glad to hear that it was a good outcome.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »
MM,glad to hear she is OK. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online jl222

« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:49 PM »

Whew! when I read that, I thought ''oh no, stroke'' good news though :cheers:

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »

I sent Tim packing and spent a quiet evening in the hospital room with my wife, who is now fine and at home - no problems.  Diagnosis came back as Peripheral Neuritis - a pinched nerve, essentially.

Your a good Man.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:05 AM »
Thanks, guys, sincerely, thank you all.  I love Kate with all my heart.  She's been a widow to my garage efforts for quite a while, and has never once complained.  I suspect she likes knowing where to find me.  :-)

She's still feeling a little fuzzy, but she went to work today, and went in for a therapeutic massage afterwards, which seemed to help a bit.  She'll see the doctor tomorrow.  She's in great shape otherwise, and quite frankly, if I were to adopt her exercise and diet regimen, I could probably be a competitive 5K runner.

Tonight I got the driver's harness in - one of the crucial items I'd put on the back burner.  Tim rescheduled with me for tomorrow to finish up the electricals - he has a stellar plan in place that will clearly be an upgrade over the old Lucas schematic, and leaves room for further developments down the road (computer, spare circuits, etc.) without the engine bay becoming a rat's nest of wire.

Shower time - I smell like a goat. 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
Yeah well that figures ....first it's a Pommy car, next thing it's warm beer , then it's a personal hygeine regime that's low on water and soap

Rock on ya Lucas lovin ,whitworth ownin' ,shower shy ,Tele pluckin' , skyscrapin' man o'Milwaukee......send my best wishes to the Administrator and wish her a swift recovery..............

scattershield?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:40 AM »
A quick aside - Kate came out and helped a bit tonight, and she asked how the harness worked.  I sat her down in the car, and hooked up the 5 point. 

"This isn't very comfy, is it?", she said.

"I only have to go a few miles", was my reply.

"Okay - so how do I get out?", she asked.

"Well, let me see if I can find the instructions", and started tearing through boxes of parts, as though I was looking desperately for a nonexistent pdf. :-D

Yeah, she's in better spirits tonight - I can pick on her again, and thanks for the well wishes.

WOS is getting closer than an Australian election.

And funny you should mention Lucas –

Before –

After –

Meet Lucas Rockwell.

Needless to say, Tim made it over tonight.  He used to build analog synthesizer modules for Sound Transform Systems, (Serge Modular Synthesizers) worked for Paisley Park Studio (Prince), Smart Studio (Nirvana, Butch Vig, et al), and has a keen eye for detail.

The main harness (grey wire) is 25, 16 gauge strand that tucks up under the dash.  Currently (ah, currently) I’m utilizing 8 strands, but I have plenty of other circuits available for future electronic wizardry.  Everything gets a relay, even the starter solenoid.

Let’s not talk about the blowshield just yet – The anger is being channeled into progress in other areas.  I’ve received a very generous offer from a fellow racer in Chicago to help with it, and I need to make the decision pretty quick. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2010, 01:21:24 AM »
You know you're in the middle of a thrash when you run out of beer, and you are too busy to go get more.

scattershield?

Plan B.

Called Deist today – they can make me a SFI spec blanket if they have a pattern to go by.  I field stripped my spare tranny, and it will be going out UPS overnight tomorrow morning.  I can bolt the blanket in on the salt if I have to.

The welder who stole my blowshield model, lied to me about it, and has since not returned my phone calls or e-mails, and has forced me into this costly action, is named Joel Medrow.  And I think he's a sonofabitch.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »
The oddest part, to me, is how he'd profit from keeping your pattern.  Like there's a nationwide demand for Midget blowshields!

(Could it be used as a serving piece?)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
Night riders?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »

(Could it be used as a serving piece?)

Stan

Stan, I have NO IDEA what else one could do with this. 

This will be my last comment on this very queer fiasco - time's a wastin'.  It took me the better part of a weekend to design and construct the model in such a way that an experienced welder could duplicate it.

It's not that he stole a pattern - it's that he stole about 14 hours of my time.  I could use that back right now.

Gotta run - I suspect posts will be a bit more sporadic for the next few weeks, but I've found that by making these entries, it helps keep me on task.

Wish me luck, boys.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2010, 07:31:46 PM »
sounds like  you need some one to 'splain it to him in a maner he can understand!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »
Three steps forward, two steps back.

I’m kind of impressed – looks kind of menacing in place –

Two problems – neither insurmountable . . .

It doesn’t appear to, but the Weber DOES clear the bonnet – nevertheless, shorter ram pipes and a very low profile air cleaner are in order.  Probably will need to chain the engine down to keep the carb from hitting the hood under load.

I’ve got a brake line reroute in my future.  That was just dumb, but it sure looked right at the time.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2010, 01:58:56 AM »
A quick pic – the new tow vehicle –

340 horse, 390 ft Lb's of tire torturing Mopar torque and a class 3 trailer hitch (really, I didn't believe it myself).

So I'm taking a race car to the salt that could very likely be outrun by the car towing it.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer . . .