Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3267805 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
Bit of a standstill.  Waiting on parts . . . and my car . . . :roll:

Scheduled to check my fit in the Midget next weekend - final measurements before the shoulder bars and braces go in.

Fiasco with my flywheel supplier.  They showed "more than 10 available" - turns out they've been backordered since February.  I've been told "2 weeks" . . . 3 times . . . :roll:

Wheels still have not been finished.  I was told 4 weeks . . . 8 weeks ago . . . :roll:

Other than some port matching on the manifold, finishing the short-block, and shooting some paint on the engine, there's not a lot I can do at this point.

I suppose I could mow the lawn . . . :roll:

Or . . .

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Yeah, that's what I'll do.

What, 108 days 'til WOS?

Plenty of time . . .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:39:33 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »
Still dead in the water - sort of.

Waiting on:
Flywheel
New rocker adjusters
Header
Wheels

The Midget is still at the welder's shop.

I did get the block painted, the front fenders and hood prepped, and picked up a decent set of used bumpers (GT - a Production Class requirement).

Threw out a pile of parts earlier that will never be used, so now I'll make a list of what's useable and start placing orders for what's left to get.

Just trying to make the minutes count.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2010, 11:50:03 PM »
Forward -

1. Stopped by Skeeter's tonight, the cage is looking good.  We set the location for the door bar.  Final welding should be done by - next week?

2. Ordered up my 45 DCOE tonight.  Couldn't find a decent used one, so I bit the bullet and bought a new one.  The clock is ticking
3. Started a final buy list of the stupid components I'm going to need.  The way my luck has been running, I'd better get this stuff ordered now.  Seems 4 weeks can turn into an uncertain 14.  As an example -

4. Diamond Wheels got back to me this week -

"We should have your order ready next week. We will give you a call when they are done so you can pick them up."

5. Made a Lexan vent window to meet the cockpit ventilation requirements.

6. No news on the rocker adjusters.

7. No news on the flywheel.

8. No news on the header.

96 days 'til WOS. Minus 12 - I have a 12 day stretch where I'll be pulling a double.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
Well, well, well – it’s actually starting to look like some sort of a race engine.

Header arrived today – a Pacesetter – not my first choice, but a Maniflow is at least 6 weeks out, and given my recent luck with ordering parts, I figured I was wise to go with something in-stock and ready-to-ship.

Ordered up the 45 DCOE last night, along with an assortment of jets, venturis, emulsion tubes and linkage – that’ll look sharp on this.

As usual, some trimming will be necessary.  The flange is about 1/4” thick, which mates up well to the thickness of the intake flange – they share bolts.  Don’t you just love tractor technology?

But now I’ve got something to do this weekend, and I’m grateful for that.

Thanks all for the thoughts and help on the blowshield.  Here’s the link, if you haven’t read it yet, or are just bored -

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8045.0.html

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2010, 12:39:22 AM »
From my flywheel supplier :evil: -

"Mr. Conrad,

We have just been advised that status of your item #120325290504 has not changed.   As you know, the release time is just a given time frame; it may be less or increase at the manufacturer authorization. According to the manufacturer the excepted release time for this part, at this time is 3 weeks.

We again, apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. It is still our intention to complete your transaction as soon as possible and will continue to send updates regarding your order as we receive them."

Ouch - 3 more weeks on the flywheel?  This is starting to get a bit silly. 

Better news on the new rocker adjusters  8-) -

"Thank you for your order. This e-mail will provide the details of what has been shipped along with details of pricing, and back-orders if any. Please feel free to e-mail or call with questions."

The order was shipped complete.  I'll see them Monday.

Good news?  Ordered tires from Summit on Monday  :lol:, they shipped them on Tuesday, and they're in my attic.

Best news?

"Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 06/18/2010."

That would be the Weber DCOE.  :cheers: :cheers:

Wheels?  Let’s just put it this way – there’s a reason my tires are in the attic.  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2010, 01:18:31 AM »
Crikey......sounds like it might be time for some renovations, or a breakfast in bed.....my experience has it that an interference campaign based on flattery and distraction is a useful thing when large heavy parcels start turning up in the mail, either that or get 'em sent to your work address.........

either that or you just keep telling her that Goggles can't get his stuff posted out of the country and he needs you to forward it for him :wink: :wink:

gee I'm glad the working week is over here, I've got that bug real bad at the moment, I've been waking up in the middle of the night thinking about racing stuff..........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

Has there ever been a more beautiful piece of speed equipment than the DCOE Weber?  8-)

The bundle-of-snakes exhaust on the GT40 comes close, but boys and girls, THIS is ART.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »
Crikey......sounds like it might be time for some renovations, or a breakfast in bed.....my experience has it that an interference campaign based on flattery and distraction is a useful thing when large heavy parcels start turning up in the mail, either that or get 'em sent to your work address.........

Doc, you have no idea how fortunate I am with regard to Kate.  Unconditional love from that girl, and returned tenfold.

To all you newlyweds, take this advice from the happy man in a 23+ year relationship -

KEEP SEPERATE ACCOUNTS.

Offline Rob

« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2010, 02:37:04 AM »

To all you newlyweds, take this advice from the happy man in a 23+ year relationship -

KEEP SEPERATE ACCOUNTS.
Nah, I'd be broke years ago if I did that! 25 years last Feb for what it's worth.

Here's hoping your err, Doc's gear turns up in time for SW!  :wink:

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »

Here's hoping your err, Doc's gear turns up in time for SW!  :wink:

Cheers,
Rob

I'm not worried - Sunshine's got a lot more time to put this new combination together than I've got.  They need to sort out the lifters, anyway. 

And I'm genuinely happy to help.

There's an awful lot of Moggie parts floating around OZ.  I might need a hand sometime, myself.

I'm reminded of a Marlon Brando line -

"Some day, and that day may never come, I may need to ask a favor from you."

Of course,  I'm a lot less menacing than Brando to deal with.  :-D

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
My first day working for mad Bob was making two crates to send two 3litre Mowogs to England...had to take them out of Austin Freeway and a Wolesley( I think)....from underneath, Bob reckoned he was an apprentice when they were new and nearly every single one had to be pulled and line bored under warranty.....One of those motors was so siezed it "rang" when I belted it to see if I could free it up to turn it over....... the buyer was none too happy from what I later heard....

The Midget would go well with one of those in it.........................
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2010, 05:58:22 PM »
My first day working for mad Bob was making two crates to send two 3litre Mowogs to England...had to take them out of Austin Freeway and a Wolesley( I think)....from underneath, Bob reckoned he was an apprentice when they were new and nearly every single one had to be pulled and line bored under warranty.....One of those motors was so siezed it "rang" when I belted it to see if I could free it up to turn it over....... the buyer was none too happy from what I later heard....

The Midget would go well with one of those in it.........................

Kate's been looking for an MGC-GT with an automatic - If she's successful, I might wind up having to rebuild one of those 3 litre's myself.   :roll:

You know how, from time to time, you wind up with those niggling little doubts in the back of your mind?

Gosh, I hope it’s big enough.

Set up the carb today, changed out the venturis, air jets, main jets, idle jets and emulsion tubes.  Base line choices came straight out of David Vizard’s book, “Tuning the A Series Engine”, my copy of which has become quite dirty and dog-eared over the last couple of years.  I’ve probably read this book more frequently than “Huckleberry Finn” and “Breakfast of Champions” combined, but it still comes in a close second to the SCTA Rulebook.

Wrapped the headers – and there are those who might criticize that decision, and for verifiable reasons.  But my chief concern is keeping the intake manifold cool.  If this were a cross flow head, I’d have probably skipped it.

So now I’m back to my waiting game.  My wheels are supposed to be done on Tuesday – we’ll see.  The heck of it is, starting Monday, I’ll be pulling a double almost every day, including the weekends, until the 5th of July.  If they’re ready, and I’m sorry to say it, Diamond Wheel will now be the one waiting on me.  I hate it when it comes to this, but I was told “one month” at the beginning of March, and while I would have loved to have had these in April, they’re simply going to have to wait until I can make the time to pick ‘em up. 

And the car is still at the welders.  Again, Skeeter is going to have to wait. 

I hate seeming petty and small about this kind of thing, but like my suppliers, I’ve gotta make hay while the sun shines.   

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2010, 10:19:03 PM »
Starting to look like a race car.  A few cage shots . . .

One thing that has made this easy for a production based car is that Skeeter has actually been able to get at everything, thanks to the open cockpit.  Weld it, put the cap on, and voila.  I pity those poor coupe guys, welding all squnched up in those tight, little places.  Of course, I just hope I fit.  I look like a Praying Mantis climbing in and out of this thing.

I also got my hands on some long-overdue round things –

Wheels are from Diamond Racing Wheels, right here in Beerhaven, Wisconsin.  Took a while, but I certainly can’t knock the build quality - nice finish, 360 weld, tabs for Moons.  22” Racemasters, and a Fidanza extruded clutch also arrived.

Consulted with my electrical guy, Tim Curtis.  He’s a former tech for Sound Transform Systems, makers of Serge Modular Synthesizers, and old Bay Area analog music synthesizer maker that moved to Wisconsin about 15 years ago.  He has mad soldering skills, and he owes me a favor, so we’ll use neo-hippy analog art-rock techniques to overcome the inherent drawbacks that Lord Lucas has bestowed upon this wacky little project of mine. 

Let’s see – today’s the 7th, WOS is Sept 14  . . . 70 days.

Let the thrash begin.

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
Looks great! I do have one question on the cage and if this is self evident I apologize for insulting your intelligence.  Will there be any anti-submarine bars under the seat?
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline hotschue

« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
Chris...Great job on the cage...as with everything your doing...Nice wheels.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019