Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3269347 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:06 PM »
looking good, and keep up the good work. :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »
LSR folks are sure wide awake tomorrow nights down under............ :-D

Ed
Ed, it's all a matter of perspective - If you ask them, we're living in the past! :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »
...... now doesn't it go "big hat no cattle" .....I thought you could at least have written " all bull,no hat" :wink:

I'd always heard it "all hat, no cattle".  Other than steak on the grill, I've got no use for bovines - neither does Kate's brother, who is a Veterinarian.  His complaint?  "Every time you examine a cow, you've got to shove your arm up it's . . ." - well, you get the picture.

while we're here I see you didn't machine the rocker gear to fit , you "relieved it"...by hand....indeed.

And I tortured myself thinking it through, too.  I don't have ready access to a mill, which would have been my preferred method, but after vacillating for a week, I finally just said to myself, "It ain't getting done you sitting around thinking about it".  I went slow with the Dremel, and didn't let any heat build up.  If it breaks, I'll remember to not try it again.

It's all an experiment . . .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »

while we're here I see you didn't machine the rocker gear to fit , you "relieved it"...by hand....indeed.

I am such a dolt . . .  :|

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »

Hey, Walt - did you ever get that cam timing adjuster built?  Do you need another project for shop class before you graduate? :roll:  Seriously.

Tomorrow is our last official day of work at school before cleanup starts, so no. Technically, I graduated Wednesday, but I still go in because before school is over, I have to finish the timing gear (started today), finish my new cold air intake (almost done), and get my new seat frame made (a pile of aluminum scraps on a bench right now). That doesn't count the fact that I told the teacher I would also reassemble the ram EDM machine that I have never touched before.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Midget, How is the rocker geometry? If your going to change to a bigger cam later have you thought about longer valve stems - springs - pushrods. Most motors I configure the pushrods are the last thing I get for it. Sorry, I have not been following this so if you have already addressed this, my bad.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »
Enjoying the build. 8-)

Watching high-tech vacuum film-coating equipment go together near Manchester, it was common to see things come off to be hand-filled and polished to fit rather then sending parts back to the shop. Old world craftsmanship. Rather necessary since all information flow is mostly one direction only. Errors seen on assembly rarely, if ever, get back to engineering to be corrected.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:59 AM »
Midget, How is the rocker geometry? If your going to change to a bigger cam later have you thought about longer valve stems - springs - pushrods. Most motors I configure the pushrods are the last thing I get for it. Sorry, I have not been following this so if you have already addressed this, my bad.

Hey, Doug –

The current cam has a lift of .295, with a 1.5 rocker ratio.  Next year’s engine will be running a .325 lift cam, which is what the head was originally set up for with 1.5’s.  That will give me .4875 lift on the valve full open.  The valves and springs have already been run at that height with no bind, but your question has got me wondering what these rockers will look like at that height.  Now you've got me thinking.   So far, I’ve just been eyeballing it, but maybe I should actually take some measurements. 

For next year, pushrod length is going to hinge on the base circle of the cam, I’ll be shaving about a quarter of an inch off of the top of the block (yeah, really), and I’ll need to shave the head (maybe at an angle?)  Additionally, I also need to make the valves operate in a really tight space.  The rod ratio can get ridiculous on this combo, which will dangle the piston directly under the head for a long period of time.  There’s an awful lot to think about.  The timing events are going to have to be spot-on – little room for error.

Yeah - maybe I should actually take some measurements.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »
Classic example of the commitment to build a faster machine, you got the itch bad.   :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »
Enjoying the build. 8-)

Watching high-tech vacuum film-coating equipment go together near Manchester, it was common to see things come off to be hand-filled and polished to fit rather then sending parts back to the shop. Old world craftsmanship. Rather necessary since all information flow is mostly one direction only. Errors seen on assembly rarely, if ever, get back to engineering to be corrected.

Thanks, Anvil* -

My dad was a purchasing manager for Rockwell, and before that, worked as an inspector.  He had a very sharp kid that worked with him, John Stack, who I went to school with.  If a piece that had been outsourced came in screwed up, they needed to pounce on it and get it right.  Dad would be on the phone, pitch a bitch, and after that, John would tenaciously dog them until it arrived.

The general consensus was this -

The problem was not with the engineers - the problem was usually with the engineering department.

And while John doesn't work for me, I do have a grinder and a timetable. :-D

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
Just for fun: heavily modified 1293cc Midget on Portland Craigslist: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1753253847.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2010, 12:58:59 PM »
Just for fun: heavily modified 1293cc Midget on Portland Craigslist: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1753253847.html

Mike

Thanks, Mike.  For what he's asking for the car, one couldn't build the engine.

I had forgotten that MG made a fuel injected, turbo version of this engine for domestic consumption.   

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
Well, it’s starting to look like an engine.  Crank is in, oil pump, timing gear and chain (adjustable next year).  Shims came in for the rocker shaft – I’ll hit that tomorrow – seems I’ve taken the valve train apart and put it back together so often I can do it in my sleep.  Flywheel has been on order since mid-April.

I’ll need to take it back out to the garage to finish it.  I’ve been doing the assembly in the abandoned control room of my basement recording studio, and thus the curtains and sound insulation.  Quiet, air conditioned comfort, very clean and dust-free, unlike my garage.  And now that I’m looking at the pictures, I realize I need to bend over the lock tab on the crank pulley.  Tomorrow.

It's come quite a ways from this seized up old boat anchor -

And Kate made cake!  Coconut-lemon.  I’ve been a good boy, so I’m going to have a slice.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2010, 12:07:54 AM »
Was the good boy a self proclamation or Miss Hate's  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2010, 06:28:03 PM »
Was the good boy a self proclamation or Miss Hate's  :-D
It's one of those consensus opinions.  Which means I agree with her, or she kicks me in the nuts.  :-o