Author Topic: World's lowest drag vehicle  (Read 30548 times)

Blue

Re: World's lowest drag vehicle
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:48 PM »
just a information to the SoA Sonic Arrow models.
I was aware of the Arthur Russell models, although I was given the impression that they were 1997 versions; thank you for correcting this.

The one of the three that stayed in Breedlove's possession was modified to the 1999 mod list and used for shows and sponsor solicitation in 2001 through 2006.  Breedlove loaned it on a limited basis to Steve (not a gift), but insisted that it was not included in the program sale and specified its return.

Since 2006 we eliminated many features of the 1999 configuration and made many other changes.  Without intimate knowledge of our work (i.e. being a member of our shop) it would be impossible to know the critical details of the vehicle that would pertain to a CFD model of significant accuracy.

Decal Dave was not a member of the original build team, in fact, none of the original build crew stayed on from 1993 to 1997.  There were three complete turnovers of crew from 1993 through 2000.  Absolutely no one person involved at any point has the entire story.  This was a major impediment to our (Fossett LSR) investigation of what we had, what was good, and what needed work.

This is ridiculously off-topic.  I was trying to encourage discussion of a minimum drag motorcycle based on HPV's.

Blue

Re: World's lowest drag vehicle
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »
Graham,
Our opinions are our own, I do believe that you should re-read your email to Craig before making statements about what you did and did not say.

I do want to make two things clear:
1. You are one of only a few people looking at supersonic ground effect and this has never been adequately modeled to effect detailed vehicle design at ground distance to vehicle ratios under 10%.  At full suspension compression, we are below 1%.  It is an interesting and difficult field, I wish you the best and look forward to seeing more of your work.
2. I should have said that no code has been validated in ground effect for transonic and supersonic flow at detailed levels of vehicle and surface features comparable to LSR vehicles and playa.  While this may seem like a small point to some, I trust you understand the significance of these effects vs. the fidelity of the model defeats the model's utility for design work.

We will be publishing multiple papers on the program (win, lose, or crash) in both SAE and AIAA after we have completed our tests and have validated data.  You can then review our work along with everyone else in the technical community.