Author Topic: Formerly NACA Ducts now copyright issues  (Read 10723 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Formerly NACA Ducts now copyright issues
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 06:55:28 PM »
"no possibly copyrighted materials".
With the same caveat: exactly how do you do that?
I've been threatened for quoting myself: the note said "you stole that from my friend's site", which in fact had stolen it from me.
What insures complete protection against the indignation of offended authors and their lawyers?

You've almost answered your own question by supplying quotes to the accusatory note you received!

Now we're in the twilight zone between plagiarism and copyright law. 

Key to all of these issues is to properly attribute any outside sources, to which Franklin's argument regarding fair use does come into play.

If you are making an argument and wish to back it up with web material, you can cut and paste the quote provided you include the link.  Or if you are using written material that is not legally on the web, you can cite it through the author's name. 

Here's an example:

According to George Eyston, in his 1936 travelogue/documentary book Speed on Salt,

"One hundred and twenty-five miles to the west, almost on the extreme edge of the State, lay the Bonneville Salt Flats which were to be the scene of our exploits."

The above excerpt with a simple citation does fall into fair use, because it acknowledges the words and thoughts, (intellectual property) of the copyright holder.  Additionally, it is used within the context of a discussion, and/or is being used as an educational example.

And it can be done even more informally than this, just as long as it is done.  An honest, good faith effort is what's required.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:40:16 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: